Author Topic: External software questions  (Read 8945 times)

External software questions
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
I have been using Murray Best's Registration Editor the odd time (Great program, Murray!) I assume you have to download all your registrations to your PC first. There's no way to edit them with his software directly on the Genos? Still love the program!

Has anyone come up with a program where we can edit registrations on our PC or Genos and have access to the Style Mixer settings? It's always faster to edit on a PC than on the Genos.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Re: External software questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »
Hi all. I just wanted to revamp this topic to see if there have been any registration editors created that allow users to edit the Mixer settings in a registration bank. Specifically, it would be great to edit the Effects and other settings. For example, change the Distortion effect to Compressor.

Murray Best's program is the closest one so far. It gives us access to the Left, Right 1, Right 2, and Right 3 parts. Murray, what sort of nightmare would it be to add the individual parts to your program? Only achievable if you live to 175 years :)?

This is something I would pay decent money to Yamaha for - an external PC or Mac registration editor. Reason: when you change to different sound gear, it can have a profound effect on all your registration settings. I have well over 250 registrations. It takes forever to modify them on the Genos. This would be extremely useful to all Genos users.

I see some pay for use programs listed on Jorgen's site but they aren't in English. If they do the trick, I'd gladly buy one of them.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:58:59 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »
To answer your first question, Lee, yes, you can edit registrations directly on the Genos. Just start it up in USB storage mode. The User drive will look like an external hard drive to the PC.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
Thank, Fred. Can you expand on that? Are you saying I can edit registrations on my PC with your method?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Thank, Fred. Can you expand on that? Are you saying I can edit registrations on my PC with your method?

Connect the Genos to your PC with a printer cable (house side in the USB to Host jack at the back of the Genos), other side to any USB port on the computer.

Power on the Genos while holding down the Playlist button. The screen will say "USB storage mode".

Now the Genos User drive is an external drive to your PC. Murray's Registration Manager will read from and write to this drive.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Okay got it, Fred. The only thing is, Murray's very excellent program allows us to adjust effects on Panel parts but not Style parts. Those are the adjustments I'm wanting to alter. The connection via USB mode is a great idea because you can listen to the affect your changes have.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
The connection via USB mode is a great idea because you can listen to the affect your changes have.

Don't have my Genos YET, but surely will use this when I get mine.

QUESTION:  Can you actually listen to whatever you've manipulated in the USB mode WITHOUT disconnecting the USB mode?
Logically, it would seem like it would be identical to the Music Downloader....nothing happens on the keyboard until the Music Downloader gives up control and vice-versa.

Just curious while I wait!
d.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
Hi Dave,

I haven't worked with the USB Storage Mode that Fred described, but I don't think you can audition your changes in this mode. This is surprising because the Genos has evolved more toward a full synthesizer than any other arranger they have made. Yamaha has created an amazing keyboard with the most advanced voices and effects, and yet, the Genos is still very primitive in so many ways. Even if 90% of Genos players stay home to enjoy making music and only 10% gig or record, it still warrants decent software for the remaining 10%.

Unless I'm wrong, the USB Storage Mode is only for rapid file manipulation. Murray Best's program is excellent but there are other parameters in Style mode that we need to have external access to, with auditioning capabilities. I wonder if these capabilities will be included with future upgrades?

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
Unless I'm wrong, the USB Storage Mode is only for rapid file manipulation. Murray Best's program is excellent but there are other parameters in Style mode that we need to have external access to, with auditioning capabilities. I wonder if these capabilities will be included with future upgrades?

Lee,
I'd be extremely surprised if Yamaha or any other manufacturer would provide features in their operating system that would allow the USB storage mode while concurrently managing some external program (i.e. Michael Bedesem's MixMaster) to "play" something.   The keyboard operating system has to manage itself and thus has a "right" to allow or disallow features/capabilities, especially when a combination isn't a "core" function.   Managing the data-flow/communication between a PC and two functions like we're discussing probably isn't as difficult as converting audio to MIDI, but it would be a nightmare to design/program/maintain with no regrets.
d.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
QUESTION:  Can you actually listen to whatever you've manipulated in the USB mode WITHOUT disconnecting the USB mode?

No.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
Even without the auditioning feature, it would be so handy to be able to manipulate all Style settings within the registration banks from outside the Genos.

For example, thanks to suggestions from forum members, I discovered a way of "taming" the often out of control mega bass voices. Playing these voices through home speaker systems is relatively smooth. When you are on the big stage with 600 watts of subwoofer power, the bass spectrum is splattered all over the place. The onboard compressors work very well and often eliminate the need for the sub. Toward that end, it would be very handy if we could apply the Bass Compressor to all the registrations through our Mac or PC. It's a long process doing it on the Genos - especially when you're housing over 200 registrations!!!

As I mentioned, the Genos packs so many advanced and professional level features, and yet is so amateurish and behind the times in other areas :).

The following users thanked this post: torben

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Lee,
I'd be extremely surprised if Yamaha or any other manufacturer would provide features in their operating system that would allow the USB storage mode while concurrently managing some external program (i.e. Michael Bedesem's MixMaster) to "play" something.   The keyboard operating system has to manage itself and thus has a "right" to allow or disallow features/capabilities, especially when a combination isn't a "core" function.   Managing the data-flow/communication between a PC and two functions like we're discussing probably isn't as difficult as converting audio to MIDI, but it would be a nightmare to design/program/maintain with no regrets.
d.
Agreed, Dave.

Pairing the Genos OS with any third party program is very risky. It's also impossible to predict the implications. What is possible is pairing the Genos with a Yamaha editing program installed on our PC. Yamaha gives free programs to Montage and Motif users. Why not us?? I'd pay good money to have a Yamaha program that allows me to edit all registration parameters and audition them while the Genos and my PC are paired. Unless I'm way off in La-La Land somewhere, I think Yamaha could easily design such a program. The only thing in their way is that nasty little word  - profit >:(!!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Hi Lee

Have a great Christmas and New Year to you and family.
It has been great to have conversations accross the pond.

All the best
John :) :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »
You too, thanks John. There are a lot more conversations to be had :).