Author Topic: Registration memorization  (Read 5773 times)

Registration memorization
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »
Hi team,

Has anyone found discrepancies in how the Genos memorizes registrations? Seems to me, I create a registration and go back a day later, and it's not how I left it. All the proper check marks have been selected in the Memory dialog box. It seems volumes and sometimes instruments are different than what I memorized.

I wouldn't rule out pilot error here because I have had a significant enough number of birthdays - so much so that the Canadian government is going to start sending me more checks just for being old and grumpy. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem (not the grumpy age thing - registration memorizing)!

More info: I have stored all my registration on the User drive from my T5 transfers. Each T5 registration has been checked for accuracy and sound balance, and yet, it seems some are still not how I saved them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:14:41 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline reya

Re: Registration memorization
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 10:39:42 PM »
Hi Lee'

Personally I have experienced no errors there

But in the link below Kaarlo seems to describe the same sort of troubles

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43524.msg344454.html#msg344454

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »
Thanks Rudy! I am going to invoke the time display and monitor it carefully. I suspect pilot error. If there were truly a registration memorization issue, the halls of Yamaha would be filled with users demanding a refund and a free T5 :)!

The other issue may be some hidden data from the T5 that "argues" with the Genos OS. If it's not pilot error, then perhaps just re-memorizing the registrations will do the trick. A lot of people claim that the transition from to the T5 to Genos is seamless and smooth. It is NOT!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 11:40:48 PM »
Hi Lee,
  My transition was very smooth but then I knew I had to save the content of my Tyros 5 hard drive to my computer. I also knew that if I copied this to a USB stick it would all work as it did on Tyros 5 keeping all the links to my styles and multi pads. In fact the 64Gb stick I purchased became a mini hard drive in the way it works. The problem comes when you want to move this content to the user section because then you do have to relink any third party styles you may have used in some gig set ups. Other files such as Styles Midi recordings, Audio recordings, User voices  will copy to user with no problem. Having the USB in the keyboards closed section also means you always have a back up with you.
  I in all honesty can say I have not had any problems using Genos the way I want to.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:04:21 AM »
The other issue may be some hidden data from the T5 that "argues" with the Genos OS. If it's not pilot error, then perhaps just re-memorizing the registrations will do the trick. A lot of people claim that the transition from to the T5 to Genos is seamless and smooth. It is NOT!

Yamaha have made the move to Genos as seamless as possible as witnessed by the many users who get their Genos up and running all their Tyros registrations very quickly.

Moving from the hard drive to the user drive I agree is not seamless, but neither would it be on a Tyros.

I have had no problems with memorizing registrations, other than operator error, which is always exacerbated by the fact the Memory screen doesn't show which groups were memorized in the active registration, a problem we've been complaining about for decades.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

tyrosman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
hear hear fred :)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 04:04:07 AM »
My transition from T5 to Genos was relatively smooth.     Transferred all my T5 registrations, external multipads, external styles, etc. 

No problems with registrations.    However, I had a chance to read lots of posts on this forum before making my transition and decided to do as many did . . . .  USB stick

At the beginning i had a couple of registration errors and some level of frustration, but then realized that it was mostly me not being familiar with the new navigation screens.   

In some cases, i had to re-work some registrations to adjust for new volume, setttings, etc.    I am still re-working some registrations but no major problems.

Hope you fix your registration problems soon. 

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:02:44 AM »
Many thanks everyone!

I suspect the move to the User drive may have been the source of a few hiccups. The only outside material I moved from the T5 was my own user styles. There were no third party styles. I still want to have everything on the User drive. The USB can act as a backup only. From what Eileen said, it sounds like I can buy a mini 64 GB USB drive and install it in the basement of the Genos. I can still do all my stuff in the User area but also copy the contents once in a while to the USB drive as a backup. In other words, I can use both the User SSD and USB. Is this correct?

I have a little time now before my next gig (3 weeks). I can do some checking of all the registrations to make sure they "stick."

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
Yes Lee,
  That is correct.

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
Thanks Eileen! You're the best :).

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
I can still do all my stuff in the User area but also copy the contents once in a while to the USB drive as a backup. In other words, I can use both the User SSD and USB. Is this correct?

Lee,
 You may like to read Stijn's post here to get more background info.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43497.msg343750.html#msg343750

John

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:12:30 PM by jwyvern »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Hi team,

Has anyone found discrepancies in how the Genos memorizes registrations? Seems to me, I create a registration and go back a day later, and it's not how I left it. All the proper check marks have been selected in the Memory dialog box. It seems volumes and sometimes instruments are different than what I memorized.

I wouldn't rule out pilot error here because I have had a significant enough number of birthdays - so much so that the Canadian government is going to start sending me more checks just for being old and grumpy. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem (not the grumpy age thing - registration memorizing)!

More info: I have stored all my registration on the User drive from my T5 transfers. Each T5 registration has been checked for accuracy and sound balance, and yet, it seems some are still not how I saved them.

YOU MADE MY EASTER! Finally someone has noticed the same problems I have been struggling with and still have not been resolved by the combined  effort of myself and the Finnish importer for YAMAHA  using two Genos to exclude any "Monday"production possibility.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
I also use some of my Tyros registrations but some do need tweaking volume and effects wise so won't always sound the same on Genos. Then you would not expect them to.