Author Topic: Genos Midi Setup  (Read 3414 times)

Tyros5Mad

Genos Midi Setup
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
Here's where I need some help.

When I create a song for my Youtube channel, I want it to be the best that I can do. I do not have enough hands to play the song live AND change the registrations AND operate the Perform VK harmoniser at the same time, so I create a midi file first then play this back while I sing and operate the harmoniser and record the song.

So here's my problem.

I cannot seem to set up the Genos so that it sends out chord data via midi to my Perform VK when I play the midi song without playing the keyboard, even though the midi song has chord data. This worked very well in the Tyros 5 but not in the Genos.

Can anybody help with this?

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:44:47 AM by RichardL »

Offline DrakeM

Re: Genos Midi Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
I wonder if this issue has something to do with the problem I ran into when trying to use Genos style on my PSR S-950 keyboard.

I found that all the Genos styles will not recognize my VH2 mic settings that are set up in my registrations. What I had to do was start with a PSR-S950 style (or older) and then move the Genos style parts into that style to get the VH2 mic settings to work.

So what I suggest as a test is use an older model style from a PSR-S950 keyboard (or older) and see if you have the same issue. So, don't use a Tyros 5 or PSR-S970 style either as I have found sometimes those styles ALSO do not work properly.

If you like I can post a style for you in the thread. Just let me know what one or Genre you want.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:44:46 AM by DrakeM »

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
Thanks Drake,

Any ballad will do.

I should say that if I play back a chord file created with Producer (great app from Peter Wierzba/Michael Bedesem) it works fine. Chord data is sent out via midi.

The problem occurs when I expand that file on the Genos and then try to use the expanded file as a midi song. No chord data is sent to midi.

This is annoying because the expanded file is great to use as a midi Karaoke file because it has the chords and lyrics, which can be displayed on the Genos screen with the Lyrics button.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:57:21 AM by RichardL »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »
Here is a ballad to try out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
Problem solved!

The Perform VK only receives on midi channel 1. So on the Genos I needed to set up the song channels 12 & 13, which are the chord channels, to transmit on channel 1 only. By default each Genos song channel sends on the corresponding midi channel (1 to 16).

So now it is fixed yay!

Regards,
Richard