Author Topic: Mod/Custom Firmware for the S970  (Read 24145 times)

Willy330ci

Mod/Custom Firmware for the S970
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
This is their second video which was just released a few minutes ago, need to get to the bottom of this as I'm on the fence of getting the S975 when its released in the US in late April or May. This could seriuosly change my decision and make meopt for the S970 instead.

https://youtu.be/CVNxusLSLUg

-Will

Offline EileenL

Re: Mod/Custom Firmware for the S970
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
These are sound packs and I think Yamaha will do them for the 975 as well which will have more space in its memory for packs.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
Hi. I would avoid installing packs that are not from Yamaha.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Willy330ci

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
These are sound packs and I think Yamaha will do them for the 975 as well which will have more space in its memory for packs.

Eileen, can a Voice Pack make the S970 read Scat Voice Data? Like the choirs on the Genos or T5? Doesn't that require a specialized hardware?

Offline Ed B

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Hi
Yes the packs can give you choirs and scat.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Jay B.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »
The video link to YouTube says that it has been removed by the user.

Willy330ci

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
Can you please share the link for where you purchased and downloaded the pack? also, have they made this available to the new S975? did you pay with credit card or paypal?

If this is legit,  then please share details, many will be excited by this pack and firmware, so why are they holding back from make it official with enough details.

MFrost

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
I think it is a fake :(

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »
There is a saying... "If it sounds too good to be true; it probably is"   I would not install a third-party OS on my S970 even if it was free.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
Stay clear! Smells fishy!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

computec1349

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »
Can you please share the link for where you purchased and downloaded the pack? also, have they made this available to the new S975? did you pay with credit card or paypal?

If this is legit,  then please share details, many will be excited by this pack and firmware, so why are they holding back from make it official with enough details.

This is how I paid for paypal, the seller asked me for the serial number and the .n27 file. Very courteous and helpful.

The email to which I contacted is keyboardtipsmx@gmail.com
Totally safe friends!

The link of the Demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYN01V6_0E&lc=z23jhn5aktflintc4acdp4314ampoit4jibqgpnnmwxw03c010c

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:17:43 AM »
so why are they holding back from make it official with enough details.

They are using the copyrighted Genos logo and name. Unless they are formally approved by Yamaha - which I doubt! - then they cannot be "official" without being sued into oblivion ...

computec1349

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:41 AM »
They are using the copyrighted Genos logo and name. Unless they are formally approved by Yamaha - which I doubt! - then they cannot be "official" without being sued into oblivion ...

>:( Bad boy, I recomend this pack, Its Amazing!

Offline Henni

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 02:15:17 AM »
Would this work for the S770? Anyone care to share a link where I can contact them?

buildtofly@yahoo.com

Tx,

Henni
...Fly Forever!

WolfBack

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 04:28:42 AM »
Yes, it sounds interesting.... but...
They trying to sell something only by email without a site, a basic installation guide, product contents, a help form and a typical guaranty?
First of all, they lack from professionalism, maybe they do not have the rights to support their product?
It's legal or not? Sorry, but the words for just one person can't make me trust them...
No offense, computec1349.
 ;)

computec1349

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 06:09:31 AM »
Ammm, the atettention is good, They answer quickly, But is your dessition.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »
This is how I paid for paypal, the seller asked me for the serial number and the .n27 file. Very courteous and helpful.

The email to which I contacted is keyboardtipsmx@gmail.com
Totally safe friends!

The link of the Demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYN01V6_0E&lc=z23jhn5aktflintc4acdp4314ampoit4jibqgpnnmwxw03c010c

Can you put more demos please?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
Even with all these posts... I still don't what they are selling.  They call it a Genos Expansion Pack.  Are they saying we can turn our PSR into a Genos.  How so.  How can there be Revo Drums and all the DSPs.

There is no English captions on the Youtube demo.  These people are not very professional.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Willy330ci

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »
If its a PACK, then I'm all in. a Pack cannot hurt the device in any way. I initially thought its a custom Firmware which is indeed dangerous.

Its a $60, so whatever.

I made contact with them and will report back. I'm an honest psrtut. user since a long time and I won't be part of any games, if it works I will come to you with proof, if its a Scam, then I will gladly come to you and will say that I'm an idiot. Let's see how this goes.

The problem is, I really really want the S975 and its still not released for sale in the US, I'm following up with Sweetwater.com and B&H.com and its expected late April or May.

Do you think I can go visit a Guitar Center and try the pack on the S970 directly using a flash drive? they claim it comes in PPI format, would that matter?

-Will
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:49:53 PM by Willy330ci »

ob7914

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
Hello

Do they specify somewhere how much memory we need too run this pack ?
As the video is not in english i don't understand what the man says

oliver
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:38:46 PM by ob7914 »

Offline loendersloot

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
This offer is valid till....?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bill

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
The YouTube video has now been removed.

I think that tells you something.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

computec1349

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 03:19:36 AM »

Willy330ci

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 05:00:54 AM »
So, I have purchased the pack and I'm here to share the details as I promised earlier:

First of all, Francisco - the guy who did this - is a great guy, very friendly and speaks little English, but he understands it well, dealing with him was very straightforward and easy. I basically sent him my n27 Instrument file, and he took about 1 hour to upload a 610MB (Yes 610 Mega Bytes) in a PPI format to a trusted file hosting website (WeTransfer) and I immediately downloaded it afterwards.

Remember guys, I want the S975 which will be released in few weeks in the US, so I went to Guitar Center, and used the N27 Instrument file of an S970 that has been laying there forever now. This way, I can test the Pack and when the S975 is released, Francisco promised to send me another file (again) to install it on the new S975.

Pros:

1. Everything that has been presented in their video is there (Inside the Pack)          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYN01V6_0E
2. The 125 Styles are all fantastic
3. The Sounds are all cool
4. Before Installing the pack, make sure you are on Firmware 1.06 - version 1.06 has greatly improved Pack Installation (Speed). The instrument at Guitar Center was on 1.01 and I canceled the process after about 20 minutes because it was about 10% after that time. Grabbed version 1.06, installed it in 2 minutes, and then installed the pack in about 12 minutes.
5. Although the file size is 600+ MB it installed without a hiccup, No errors, No messages, everything went smooth
6. Make sure your instrument's Memory (User) is clean and nothing is saved in User area (Backup all your files then delete all)

Again, everything that has been presented in the video is in the Pack, they promised and they delivered. I took the risk but I'm very pleased with the result. The pack gave a new life to this old S970 and will surely be a great addition to my S975, Well worth every penny compared to Yamaha Official Packs.

Cons:

1. It's in PPI format, and that means that ONLY this pack can be installed on your instrument if you choose to install it. You cannot combine it with any other content from other packs that you might have.

Francisco has promised that very soon, he will provide PPF file instead of the PPI one. And as per why he is doing a PPI file now, he says its because he uses a different tool to generate the file.

This is a Great Buy, and is totally worth it!

Ask me any question!

-Will

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Joe H

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
... Cons:

1. It's in PPI format, and that means that ONLY this pack can be installed on your instrument if you choose to install it. You cannot combine it with any other content from other packs that you might have.

Francisco has promised that very soon, he will provide PPF file instead of the PPI one. And as per why he is doing a PPI file now, he says its because he uses a different tool to generate the file.

Ask me any question!

-Will

I would respectfully disagree with you on whether it's "worth it" when you only receive an installation file.  For the $60.00 you should get both the Project file and The Installation File. It's a deal breaker for me.  Also the file size is too big. You don't say what the style genre is... or how many Voices or what instrument sounds come in the pack.

I have about 600 custom synth Voices in 9 custom packs... 5 of which I built myself and am still tweaking.  They use all the available memory, but give a lot of choices on new sounds for my keyboard equal to the Preset quality of sounds.  And all of which are different from the Preset Voices.

How about providing us a little more information

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:03:16 PM by Joe H »

computec1349

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
I would respectfully disagree with you on whether it's "worth it" when you only receive an installation file.  For the $60.00 you should get both the Project file and The Installation File. It's a deal breaker for me.  Also the file size is too big. You don't say what the style genre is... or how many Voices or what instrument sounds come in the pack.

I have about 600 custom synth Voices in 9 custom packs... 5 of which I built myself and am still tweaking.  They use all the available memory, but give a lot of choices on new sounds for my keyboard equal to the Preset quality of sounds.  And all of which are different from the Preset Voices.

How about providing us a little more information

Joe H
Joe H, If you don't want buy the pack don't buy.
I think that the price and the attention is excellent.
The guys of keyboardtips made the pack on private yamaha software. As everyboady know "Yamaha Content Creator" only is avilable for programers of Yamaha and this soft have limitiations, for example is not posible export the packs on ppf.

Willy330ci

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Joe,  I can understand your concern about the PPF file and like I said, Francisco is working on it, and will do his best to provide it soon when people buy it.

Now to the fun part, do you understand English language? if you do, why are you repeating questions when it's clearly answered? You asked about the number of styles? the guy said its 125 of them, number of voices? see his photo above, and I said that everything was true and was actually in the pack.

File size wise, even if it was 60MB it won't make any difference because it's in PPI format anyways, and your expansion memory is wasted even if you have 2GB.

Later when he provides the PPF I will remove some elements that I do not use, to be able to combine it with my other packs,  this will make me super happy!

Again, the pack turned the little S970 into a Genos, AND I'M LOVIN' IT!!!

garymoore

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
So, I have purchased the pack and I'm here to share the details as I promised earlier:

First of all, Francisco - the guy who did this - is a great guy, very friendly and speaks little English, but he understands it well, dealing with him was very straightforward and easy. I basically sent him my n27 Instrument file, and he took about 1 hour to upload a 610MB (Yes 610 Mega Bytes) in a PPI format to a trusted file hosting website (WeTransfer) and I immediately downloaded it afterwards.

Remember guys, I want the S975 which will be released in few weeks in the US, so I went to Guitar Center, and used the N27 Instrument file of an S970 that has been laying there forever now. This way, I can test the Pack and when the S975 is released, Francisco promised to send me another file (again) to install it on the new S975.

Pros:

1. Everything that has been presented in their video is there (Inside the Pack)          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYN01V6_0E
2. The 125 Styles are all fantastic
3. The Sounds are all cool
4. Before Installing the pack, make sure you are on Firmware 1.06 - version 1.06 has greatly improved Pack Installation (Speed). The instrument at Guitar Center was on 1.01 and I canceled the process after about 20 minutes because it was about 10% after that time. Grabbed version 1.06, installed it in 2 minutes, and then installed the pack in about 12 minutes.
5. Although the file size is 600+ MB it installed without a hiccup, No errors, No messages, everything went smooth
6. Make sure your instrument's Memory (User) is clean and nothing is saved in User area (Backup all your files then delete all)

Again, everything that has been presented in the video is in the Pack, they promised and they delivered. I took the risk but I'm very pleased with the result. The pack gave a new life to this old S970 and will surely be a great addition to my S975, Well worth every penny compared to Yamaha Official Packs.

Cons:

Ask me any question!

-Will
1. What means of payment does he accept?
2. Does it contains SA2 voices?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:32:34 PM by garymoore »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
Do these guys have any official connection to Yamaha?

- Why are they using the Genos logo on their ads

- Why are they wearing Yamaha branded clothing

- Why are they selling Yamaha copyrighted waveforms and styles

If they are officially sanctioned, and sell through the musicsoft website - all's well. Otherwise they are not operating within the law.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 12:20:06 AM »
Joe,  I can understand your concern about the PPF file and like I said, Francisco is working on it, and will do his best to provide it soon when people buy it...

There is nothing to "work onHe already has the .ppf Project File.  He just doesn't want to give it to his customers and apparently is too lazy to ask for your .n27 file to create a personal .ppf you can load into YEM.  And if it is not laziness, then he just doesn't understand how to use YEM.  This is so unprofessional. Other 3rd party vendors producing expansion packs know how to do it right.

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 12:25:15 AM »
... You asked about the number of styles? the guy said its 125 of them, number of voices? see his photo above, and I said that everything was true and was actually in the pack...

You solicited questions about the pack, but when I asked... you are not forth coming and say look at their ad. Their ad says NOTHING to answer my questions.  I find this curious behavior on your part and very poor marketing on their part.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:26:16 AM by Joe H »

computec1349

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
Do these guys have any official connection to Yamaha?

- Why are they using the Genos logo on their ads

- Why are they wearing Yamaha branded clothing

- Why are they selling Yamaha copyrighted waveforms and styles

If they are officially sanctioned, and sell through the musicsoft website - all's well. Otherwise they are not operating within the law.

Do these guys have any official connection to Yamaha? No, Only with a programers of Yamaha.

- Why are they using the Genos logo on their ads   No, the pack have a different tipography and other logo.

- Why are they wearing Yamaha branded clothing  Are you talking seriously, The boy can´t use a shirt of Casio or Roland jajajaja

- Why are they selling Yamaha copyrighted waveforms and styles   The wave forms are similar but no the same and the styles have a different data.

computec1349

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
There is nothing to "work onHe already has the .ppf Project File.  He just doesn't want to give it to his customers and apparently is too lazy to ask for your .n27 file to create a personal .ppf you can load into YEM.  And if it is not laziness, then he just doesn't understand how to use YEM.  This is so unprofessional. Other 3rd party vendors producing expansion packs know how to do it right.

Joe H

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The ppf since today is avidable and was sended to all costomers...

Offline DerekA

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
- Why are they wearing Yamaha branded clothing  Are you talking seriously, The boy can´t use a shirt of Casio or Roland jajajaja

Yes I'm talking seriously. This is part of the way in which they are presenting themselves as if they are officially sanctioned by Yamaha which they are not. This is at best deliberately misleading.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 04:02:39 AM »
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The ppf since today is avidable and was sended to all costomers...

I think you don't understand the developer could not make a .ppi file without already creating a .ppf file.  So there is no excuse for not including both a .ppf and .ppi when you purchase the pack.  It's that simple.

Joe H

Willy330ci

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
Ok Ok Ok, calm down everyone.

We have good news:

I have just been sent the Pack in PPF format, I imported it directly into my YEM, and added it to other packs that I have to create a PPI so that I can install it on the Workstation.

Due to the enormous amount of skepticism, I will create a YouTube video for the pack to show some of the contents, I will go through the sounds/voices, Styles and Drum Kits to demonstrate the package, I know I will not be able to demo everything as this will take tremendous amount of time, but I will do my best to show as much as I can.

This way, you guys will be able to judge better if this is something you want or not.

I will also try to convince the guy to run a promotional campaign for the forum users so that they can get a bit of a discount.

How does that sound?

Will

Offline mheuzeroth

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
Hi,
i took the "risk" and ordered the pack (ppi and ppf !!!)

The ordering process is a bit strange and surely not on par with other "official" yamaha dealers.

I got the pack almost immediately.

After a short try this is my conclusion:

It does what it says, but you have to take the provided styles, if you load original genos styles from an other source the voices arent right.
The provided styles are all very fine and i have no doubt that they are just like on the original hardware.

Some minor issues are, that on some styles one or two of the 4 OTS Voices are missing. And i think the OTS Voices dont have the same loudness as on the original Keyboard style OTS Settings.

I will test the pack tomorrow and would like to compare some styles with Conversions made by Onacimous.

Its 60 Bucks at the moment

Pino

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
Thanks for your feedback

It only takes a minute to change and save new OTS
Where’s the problem there?

I change the OTS on every style anyway.
I want the style to be mine, not someone else’s

Pino
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:33:57 AM by Pino »

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
To those who have purchased this......
What are the 5 SA voices please?
Thx,
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, PSR SX900, 1987 Strat+

computec1349

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
S.Art Latin Flute
S.Art Ha Choir
S.Art Hu Choir
S.Art! Mmm Choir
S.Art! Hey! Choir
S.Art! Duu Chor

Offline Henni

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »
Pity my S770 does not have enough memory to install this package.
...Fly Forever!

Willy330ci

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »
^^^ yeah I know how stupid from Yamaha to include very little memory on their keyboard.

We are in 2018, they should include 64GB on all their arrangers, it will cost them $20 at most. Stupid limitations for no reason!

Even the S975 has 768MB ..... Mega Byte in 2018, are you kidding me!!!!!

Pino

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
Yamaha know what their doing

On the next keyboard there will be a little more memory :)

And back to silver colour again.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:09:16 PM by Pino »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:20 AM »
I think the kind of memory use for expansion packs is different than what we buy for USB sticks or phone micro cards.

Joe H

Willy330ci

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:30 AM »
^^^ I think that is correct, for example, my 2013 BMW has only 12 GB (Insert-Storage-Type-here) for Media Storage - Again the point is, manufacturer use different Storage Media than consumers, but still, this is very silly at this age and time, they should up their game.

Oh, and the formatting process that occurs before installing packs is very silly too.

They basically should use Enterprise-Grade SSD for Storage, especially for $2000K+ boards!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Willy330ci,

Let us know what you think of the S975.  It is an enhanced S970.  That is an unusual marketing move by Yamaha, but I think it hints at what will be coming next.

Regards,
Joe H

Willy330ci

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
Will do Joe, I'm just hoping that the following tiny fixes have been implemented, hopefully by using some different vendor hardware, remember that the S970 is from 2015.

1. Keys feel and noise (hopefully using some sort of better isolation materials to keys kick)
2. Speakers.......**** this Boomy sound which was not there in the S900/S910 or even the PSR-3000, No matter what I do to MEQ, its still very boomy.
3. Overall System Speed / Formatting and Packs Installation time.
4. Quality of the LCD, I know I'm dreaming but at least if a different vendor has been used, maybe,  just maybe it will come out a bit better.
5. Here is Hoping that the (S-PLUS) will not be consuming part of the 768MB, hence being left with 512MB. This would be super stupid.

I will keep you guys informed,  once I get it and will do an in-depth review and comparison.

On a side note, I promised to be transparent with you all,  so here it is:

I have received the pack as a PPF file,  when I go import the contents and add some other packs to a custom made one that has some of my other packs,  I then create a PPI file using YEM and install it on the S970. No matter what I do- as I tried numerous times - All the Styles in from the Genos Pack, have No Drums tracks (the 2 tracks) voices. Styles play without drums and also some other tracks from the whole 8-tracks has No voices assigned.

Do you guys know of a tweak or a fix to this problem? could it be the dreaded LSB assignment? can you think of any reason why this is happening? this makes using the PPF provided useless, the PPI, on the other hand, does not have this problem, but we all know the limitation of a PPI, which is having to use ONLY 1 pack at a time instead of combining several packs into one bigger and versatile PPF.

Will
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:55:31 AM by Willy330ci »

computec1349

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »
Only for costumers that they bought the pack

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joe H

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
I have received the pack as a PPF file,  when I go import the contents and add some other packs to a custom made one that has some of my other packs,  I then create a PPI file using YEM and install it on the S970. No matter what I do- as I tried numerous times - All the Styles in from the Genos Pack, have No Drums tracks (the 2 tracks) voices. Styles play without drums and also some other tracks from the whole 8-tracks has No voices assigned.

Do you guys know of a tweak or a fix to this problem? could it be the dreaded LSB assignment? can you think of any reason why this is happening? ...

Will

I think after you add additional content you must assign or reassign the LSB to the pack.  YEM will update all Voices, styles, Multi Pads, and all content in the pack to the same LSB.  Then everything should play normal.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:10:56 PM by Joe H »

Offline mheuzeroth

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
Hi, could you help me out,  please?
What does LSB Assignment mean? And what does LSB stand for?

Thanks