Genos (12 Boards) > Genos - General

Odd command "Copy Here"

(1/6) > >>

Lee Batchelor:
Has anyone noticed that Yamaha uses a VERY odd command sequence? We are all used to the combination, "Copy and Paste." Yamaha uses "Copy and Copy Here." Is it me, or has Microsoft completely contaminated what's left of my brain? The phrase, "Copy Here" is completely odd to me. I suppose it's what you get used to.

It's the same with the Manuals. They describe some of the ports on the back of the Genos as simply, "Connect to an audio system." The proper way to describe those ports are by their respective routing. For example, "Connect to an external audio system" or "Connect from an external audio system." There's a HUGE difference between things that come out of a keyboard versus things that go into the keyboard. Yamaha makes no distinction when they describe those ports. They are all described the same way!

One golden rule in technical writing is, never violate a person's schemata. There are established norms for operating systems. Yamaha likes to step outside those norms. I will say though, the work flow on the Genos is very smooth compared to the Tyros series! There's so much you can figure out just by looking at the various screens. I'm loving this beast!

EileenL:
Hello Lee,
  I must admit I also was looking for the paste button but as you say with use you soon feel at home with the new operation. Pleased you are enjoying your Genos.

Lee Batchelor:
Yes, Eileen - she's a great keyboard. I just finished re-reading some of the earlier comments about Genos only being marginally better than the T5. I totally disagree. The sounds may be the same, but Yamaha has upgraded the sound processor so that there's far more punch and realism to these voices. The pianos are far superior as well. I'm doing a St. Patty's gig tonight; my first gig with this beast! Bob and I will also be playing tunes from our regular repertoire. I traded my T5 and Nord Electro 5.

Thanks for chiming in!

reya:

--- Quote from: Lee Batchelor on March 17, 2018, 08:45:26 PM ---Has anyone noticed that Yamaha uses a VERY odd command sequence? We are all used to the combination, "Copy and Paste." Yamaha uses "Copy and Copy Here." Is it me, or has Microsoft completely contaminated what's left of my brain? The phrase, "Copy Here" is completely odd to me. I suppose it's what you get used to.

--- End quote ---

I agree

And while we are on the subject ....

What is odd to me as well is the "save" operation.
The Yamaha implementation currently combines in one, both the "save" and "save as" operations probably known to most of us from other devices.
As a result a simple file update operation requires a bit more ticks on Genos than necessary
Let"s compare what it takes to save (update) an existing registration file
Currently
1 Click "File"
2 Click "save"
3 Click "Save here"
4 Click "ok" to confirm name
5 Click "yes" to confirm that the existing file can be replaced

In case there would be  separate "save" and "save as" icons, the save operation would be
1 Click "File"
2 Click "save"
Done !

So that is 2 steps in stead of 5, or 60 % more efficient!

The "save as" operation could have the same steps as the current combined "save" now.
The "File Edit" window has plenty of room for an additional icon like "Save As" so it would physically not be a problem to add it .

Maybe something for a next release ...

Great machine though!!

Lee Batchelor:
Totally agree, Reya!

I'm in the process of updating all my T5 registrations that were copied into the Genos. It takes 7 steps to save one registration!!!!!

Also, in the manual, they always use the word touch to indicate a touch screen action. This is completely wrong. The correct word is tap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version