Author Topic: Genos with a larger subwoofer  (Read 3186 times)

Genos with a larger subwoofer
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
Hi team,

Has anyone tried a larger gig with the Genos hooked up to a larger sub with a frequency range of about 25 Hz to 80 Hz? What was it like? I get my Genos in two days but am understandably curious about other peoples' experience.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jimlaing

Re: Genos with a larger subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
I have a Bag End sub that can go that low - has two 10" speakers (similar surface area as one 15") - I have used with Tyros for larger gigs, it does add an impressive "feel" to the sound.  I might use it with Genos for a larger gig I have early next month.  For mains, (for these larger gigs), I use two FBT Maxx40a's which also are amazing.  [For most gigs though, I use a Lucas Nano 600 which does real well).

If I remember, I can write about use of the true sub (Bag End) with Genos once I give it a try ...

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
Thanks Jim!

I use two Bose Compacts. I designed and built a 15 inch sub, using an Eminence neodymium driver. The whole box weighs 40 pounds. It is driven by a separate Behringer power amp with its own processor and crossover. It only weighs 7 pounds and supplies about 600 watts. As I get older, I must buy lighter equipment  ;D. The T5 sounds amazing through it. I will give the Genos a try and report back.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
Hello Lee.

I don't know about the Genos.

I use a Behringer B1500 HP Active Subwoofer with my T3.

It has a built in  class D amplifier that delivers 2200 Watts.

The sound is pure, and the punch is incredible.
Coupled with my JBL passive speakers, which I amplify using a
Yamaha EMX5000 Powered Mixer, the ensemble sounds phenomenal.

It weighs 42 Kilos, that may be a problem for you.

Best Regards.
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:50:17 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »
If you put you Bose L1 compacts against the wall you won't need any sub woofer. When I first got mine, I thought it would be nice to put them right in the corners of the other end of the room. The bass was so strong, I was going to return them, but Gary steered me the right direction, by telling me to  move them about three feet from the walls. What a difference. LOL!

Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »
Hey Pianoman. You certainly have some very nice gear. I used to have heavier speakers until they started making light-weight gear. Unfortunately, some manufactures still only produce very heavy gear. Ironically, the bulk of the guys capable of affording the heavier gear, can't lift it :)!

Agreed, Rick. The Bose are sleeping giants at only 29 pounds each. The only time I use my sub is for larger gigs like dances or for playing outside. I think 90 percent of the time, there's tons of bass just form the Bose. Good points!