Author Topic: MultiPad Creator voice selection bug  (Read 4382 times)

MultiPad Creator voice selection bug
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
Today I discovered a problem in the MultiPad Creator. When creating a new MultiPad, I was not able to select S.Art(2) voices.

These are the steps to reproduce the problem:
  • Press MENU button
  • Select Menu2
  • Select M.Pad Creator
  • Select MIDI Multi Pad Recording
  • Select New
  • Press the black VOICE SELECT button above RIGHT1
  • Select the Piano group on the screen
  • Now you can only see the GrandHarpsichord (as this is not a Super Articulation voice):

BUT....when I inspect the preset MultiPad PianoArp8Beat 1, I see that a S.Art Voice is used so there is no technical limit involved here. Here's how I noticed this.
  • Press EXIT a few times to return to the main screen
  • Press the black SELECT button (next to the multipad 1 button)
  • On the screen select the Arranger 1 group and select PianoArp8Beat 1
  • Press the MENU button
  • Select Menu2
  • Select M.Pad Creator
  • Select MIDI Multi Pad Recording
  • Choose Step Edit
  • As you can see, in this MultiPad the voice number is 1 and the bank selection numbers are 104 and 21 (if you don't see the bank selection controls, you have to press Event Filter on the bottom of the screen and enable all events)

• Now press EXIT a few times to return to the main screen
  • Press the black VOICE SELECT button above RIGHT1
  • Select the Piano group on the left of the screen
  • As you can see, the used piano voice in the preset multipad is the CFX ConcertGrand as it matches the bank numbers and voice number

To work around this problem, I first have to record the MultiPad in another voice. Then with Step Edit I have to change the voice selection to the S.Art voice I would like to use. But I hope Yamaha will fix this in one of the next updates. Of course I will send Yamaha an e-mail to report this.

PS:
Bank and voice numbers are not visible in the voice selection screen by default.
To enable this press the black VOICE SELECT button above RIGHT1.
Press Menu on the screen and select the option Show under Voice Number.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:58:19 PM by robbiedoes »

Offline jwyvern

Re: MultiPad Creator voice selection bug
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:32:11 PM »
I'm not sure it's technically a bug, it is likely to be a "feature" or inexplicable limitation carried over from Tyros's, but nevertheless you are correct in challenging Yamaha with it because there seems to be no justification for it especially on Genos which allegedly is supposed to be more than just a Tyros update.  ;) ;)

Here is an extract from the Multi Pad section of the Genos Ref. Manual:

"Multi Pad—Realtime Recording via MIDI
Before starting operation, note the following points:
• Since only the Right 1 part performance will be recorded as a Multi Pad phrase, you should select the desired Voicefor the Right 1 part beforehand.
• The Super Articulation Voices and the Organ Flutes Voices cannot be used for Multi Pad Recording. If one of these
Voices is set for the Right 1 part, it will be replaced with the Grand Piano Voice when recording."

I believe what you can do is to make a midi using the voice you want, and use Michael Bedesem's Pad Maker Midi to convert it to  a Pad. It is a long time since I used it (with Tyros4 originally to use SA2 Clarinet)  but it may be  worth checking out to see if it continues to work with Genos. (So far I have been exploring other aspects of Genos rather than MPads.)
John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:52:49 AM by jwyvern »

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
Hello John,

Whoops....now I've been caught for never reading any operations manual ::). Thank you for your reference to the manual.

I just try things (unlimited by manual restrictions) and get confused if there's not any logic reason of not able to select Super Articulation voices by recording your own MultiPads. Especially if I notice that Yamaha IS using Super Articulation voices in their own preset MultiPads. So why are we (consumers) limited in selecting them? Seems to be somewhat unfair to me.

Now I just record a MultiPad by using a similar voice. Afterwards, I change the bank and voice selection codes in the step recording menu and enable myself the usage of all the voices I want in MultiPads.

PS: I'm familiar with Michael Bedesem's Pad Maker Midi conversion tool and used it 2 years ago for the Tyros 5. But I prefer working on the keyboard/Genos instead of using all kind of software on the computer.

Greetings, Robert
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:21:00 AM by robbiedoes »

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
FYI:

The latest version of PadMaker-Midi does support the Genos. See http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

The same is true of cureent version of PadMaker that can make pads from styles.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern