Author Topic: DSP explanation or tutorial available?  (Read 4221 times)

Wil5560

DSP explanation or tutorial available?
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
Since i am not an experienced player, and now having the new Genos, i would like start to learn more about the DSPs.
I can see there are so many options, but do not find an easy way how to use what and when in a simple explanation.
Does anybody have any tutorial available? Or is there some sort of training available? Or recommendations what to use when and how?

Thanks a lot for your kind help and support,

Regards

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: DSP explanation or tutorial available?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:43:03 AM »
Hi.
A start may be to do a serach for Digital Signal Prosessing (DSP) in Google, and you will see quite a lot of results.
This is some starter info. http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/landing-pages/001/beginners-guide-to-dsp.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:48:33 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:23:20 AM »
Just looked up for a playlist on youtube with explanation about some basic sound effects like "delay","reverb" etc
Remember that whenever you see words like these, no matter if you see them on a keyboard or a in any Digital Audio Workstation software they work the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-v75Mgh9dA&list=PLRwSxn6RVkVIM9443VFgYHNkYuqbmEakk

In this post, Jan is mixing sounds in Yamaha Expansion Manager instead in doing it on keyboard's mixer.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43486.msg343551.html#msg343551

Because there are many and different effects availiable you could just search on you tube about every single one of them.
And of course the easiest way is going to voice edit on your keyboard and just mess around with some voices to understand what an effect is doing to some basic sounds like piano,strings etc.

For me, someone who is just picking a preset voice and says :"This voice sounds weak to me" is absolutely right.
But he is wrong if his next phrase is "pifffff.....What the heck,don't they know how to make good sounds???"
without taking the time first to enter to "Voice Edit" menu to alter the voice to his personal liking.
Just my personal opinion,everybody has the right to disagree with it. :D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
(Disclaimer) This is a simplification which I hope helps.

DSP makes a big difference to the way a keyboard sounds. The more basic models don't provide any; the Genos provides lots.

Your keyboard contains DSP types that you can apply to voices and style parts. Two or three hundred to choose from, and on Genos you can have different effects on different parts at the same time.

But in fact, there are only a few basic effect types. Each of those effect types have lots of ways they can be adjusted. So when you select a DSP from the list, it's a basic effect type with a particular set of adjustments. You are free to make any more adjustments you want.

This is the key to getting to grips with the large number of DSPs you are presented with - recognise that there are only a few themes and lots of variations.

The basic types are common across all types of instruments and manufacturers. They include chorus, reverb, delay, phaser, flanger, disortion, rotary speaker. You can look these up online to get more detail about what they do. You will find that most of the material talks about different makes of guitar effect pedals, but that's OK if you just listen to how the effect modifies the sound.

Pick a voice, select a DSP and listen to what it does. The name of the effect should give a clue as to which of the basic types it is. Then start making adjustments and listen to how each adjustment alters the result. You will find that some of the things you can adjust make a big difference, and some don't. If you're really interested, the online data list manual will show you the list of what you can adjust for each type.

Once you've got a bit of a feel for what the different basic types do, and what kind of adjustments you can make, you will be in a better place to be creative.

Wil5560

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 04:20:41 AM »
Thanks a lot for the various explanations and tips. I will start with your feedback and take my DSP journey from here.

Best regards