Author Topic: E433 Volume  (Read 2983 times)

mick47willis

E433 Volume
« on: October 02, 2021, 03:50:44 AM »
Have just cleaned the rubbers etc on my E433.
I had a lost note and that has been fixed.
Only problem now is that the volume seems to have         decreased across the board.??
I know the E433 is only 7w per speaker but is does seem to  have lost a bit.
Cleaned with soap and water..and cotton buds.
Did not replace rubbers.
Any thoughts.
CheersMick

Offline SciNote

Re: E433 Volume
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 04:40:07 AM »
Seems strange, but if there really is a change in volume, and it's not just a kind of psychological effect of knowing that you had the keyboard apart and are now fearing that you damaged something, then there are a few things that come to mind.

Start with the easy things, first.  Check the main settings.  Did you reset the keyboard?  If so, this could have changed the MasterEQ setting, and that could definitely affect the sound.  This also could have changed the touch sensitivity setting, which could change the volume of your playing based on how hard you're hitting the keys.

Otherwise, I wouldn't think that it would be keyboard contact related, as those are either on or off and don't vary volume with any sort of resistance, to the best of my knowledge.  However, a very long shot, esoteric possibility that comes to mind could also involve the velocity sensitivity.  As I understand it, the velocity sensitivity is accomplished by measuring the minuscule amount of time it takes the key to go from triggering one set of contacts to another as the key is pressed.  The shorter the time, the faster/harder the key is being hit, and the louder the sound (when touch response is active).  Maybe residue on the contacts could be causing a very slight delay for the keyboard to fully recognize that the second set of contacts has been engaged, making it think you did not hit the key as hard as you did?  Like I said, seems quite unlikely, and seems very unlikely that it would affect all keys the same way, but maybe a possibility.  To check this, I would just turn off touch sensitivity in the settings.  If you notice that the keyboard gets noticeably louder than even your fastest/hardest key presses with touch sensitivity on, then maybe it does have something to do with the velocity sensitivity -- even if it is not the exact scenario that I described.

Maybe something else got disturbed when the keyboard was apart.  Still, I would think if it was a speaker/audio connection, it would either sound or it would not -- or at least, with a loose connection, you'd get a broken-up sound or static.  I wouldn't think it would just reduce the volume of the sound.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

mick47willis

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 07:04:42 AM »
Thanks great answer as usual.
Will try your suggestions.
 I thought twice about asking this question hard to tell...put my E233 on and its definitely louder ..
Cheers Mick

Offline casiokid

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
Has the volume control knob been removed and then put back on its spindle in different position?

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:07:27 AM »
Has the volume control knob been removed and then put back on its spindle in different position?

It can only go in one way
But sill a valid point.
You can remove the knob and turn it to it's maximum volume.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

mick47willis

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 06:35:30 AM »
Thanks for that

mick47willis

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 06:58:26 AM »
Just turned the "touch " function to off.
All seems right now..thanks SciNote

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 01:37:46 AM »
Glad I was able to help!  My only concern is, did you have touch sensitivity switched off before you did your repair?  Because if you were using the touch sensitivity before, but now need to switch it off to get the sound volume that you used to get, then that still doesn't seem right, and it causes you to miss out on an important feature used for expressively playing your music.

However, there are three levels of touch sensitivity that you can try, each one requiring a different range of how hard you have to hit the key to get the full expressiveness, or full range of volume of the sound.

Also note that some sounds, particularly the organ sounds, have little or no touch sensitivity programmed into them because the real versions of those instruments do not have touch sensitivity.  For example, the real versions of traditional pipe organs or Hammond tone-wheel organs do not have a velocity/touch sensitive keyboard.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline MikeS

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 03:45:19 AM »
The rubber strips have 2 contacts, one long and one short. The time difference between the two hitting the PCB determines the volume, shorter the time the louder the volume. Given that after cleaning you have low touch sensitivity volume the system is taking longer to determine the two contacts are down. There maybe a chemical residue left by the cleaning which is causing this increased time difference. Suggest you reclean one octave of the rubber strip contacts and the PCB contacts using cotton wool buds and demineralized water and see if that fixes that octave. (Then repeat for the other octaves) Do not use tap water or cartridge filtered water, this water can contain high levels of dissolved minerals such as calcium carbonate. Reverse osmosis filtered water would be ok as long as it does not have remineralizer. You should be able to buy demineralized water at a supermarket.

mick47willis

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 04:44:51 AM »
Thanks Mike and Bob.
Will check the touch sensitivity and get back.
Actually looking back the octave containing the C6 had less volume then the rest..this has evened out with use.
It was only  slight and I wasn't sure but I now believe that to be true.
Thanks fellas for great answers

mick47willis

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 06:10:47 AM »
Gday Bob
The touch sensitivity decreases volume when i turn it on now..quite distinctly actually..half volume.
Their is a very slight difference in volume as i press 1to 3..maybe nill.
Maybe i need new rubbers

Offline MikeS

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »
How does the volume vary when you press keys soft to when hit hard?
When I had faulty rubber contacts there would be a large volume variation when you pressed a key as far back as possible, at the center of the key or at the very front of the key.

I replaced the rubber contacts back in July 2018, details then were as follows:

Part No: V341360R (replace V3413601)
Description: RUBBER CONTACT 12K 16N-2M OCT NP31
Model: PSR-E443
Trade Price (inc. GST): $4.50 each
Availability: 25

Part No: V747740R
Description: RUBBER CONTACT 13K 16N-2M YPP200
Model: PSR-E443
Trade Price (inc. GST): $5.30 each
Availability: 3

+Delivery (inc. GST) = $12.10

Regards,

Matthew Madden | Operations Support Assistant | Operations & Finance au.yamaha.com YAMAHA MUSIC AUSTRALIA Level 1, 80 Market Street South Melbourne VIC 3205 Australia
P: +61 3 9693 5167
F: +61 3 9696 4878 or 1800 333 128
E: matthew.madden@music.yamaha.com

Costs and contact may have changed. PSR-E433 may have different part numbers to E443. Need 4x12k and 1x13K.

mick47willis

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 04:49:39 AM »
Thanks Mike...no variations  of volume on hitting the key back middle and front.
Appreciate the contacts.
Cheers Mick