Author Topic: Beginner having trouble imorting MP3 backing tracks  (Read 8182 times)

robinrosshhi

Beginner having trouble imorting MP3 backing tracks
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:18:45 PM »
Looking for step by step instructions on copying purchased backing tracks from a desktop PC to a USB flash drive (all MP3), then when inserted into the S770, only one out of the 12 tracks shows up and plays. Have copied them onto a second USB flash drive and the same thing happens, although all 12 show up and play on  he PC. Pretty sure all of them have adequate sample rates although I'm trying to find out. Will the PSR support MP4 files? What am I doing wrong?

Offline Toril S

Re: Beginner having trouble imorting MP3 backing tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
Try to shorten the file names. If they are over 50 characters the keyboard will not read them. Mp4 is a video format, so I do not think the keyboard will support it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:50:19 AM »
Most likely your sample rate is NOT correct that's why the keyboard doesn't accept it. You can change it in for example Audacity or the like.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Patrick

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:17:25 AM »
Hi, MP4 is not played by your S770; and perhaps the MP3 also! You can play just wave files! S970 can play MP3 and Wave files; all the best Patrick
 ;)

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »
S770 can play MP3,
on S970/S770 Owner Manual PDF, read page 71 and 72

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
If the sample-rate is NOT 44 KHZ - 16 bit, the keyboard will not play or show it. Easy to check and/or change in Audacity or another recording program.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
The requirements for playback of audio files on the S970 and S770, as shown in the Owner's manual, are:

.wav (WAV format: 44.1 kHz sample rate, 16 bit resolution, stereo)

.mp3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3: 44.1/48.0 kHz sample rate, 64 to 320 kbps and variable bit rate, mono/stereo)

Note that only .wav files can be used for Audio Link Multi Pads.  Additionally the playback tricks 'Time Stretch' and Pitch Shift' won't work with MP3 files sampled at 48.0 kHz.

Regarding the OP's problem, I would check the length of the filenames first, as Toril suggested.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
The requirements for playback of audio files on the S970 and S770, as shown in the Owner's manual, are:

.wav (WAV format: 44.1 kHz sample rate, 16 bit resolution, stereo)

.mp3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3: 44.1/48.0 kHz sample rate, 64 to 320 kbps and variable bit rate, mono/stereo)

Note that only .wav files can be used for Audio Link Multi Pads.  Additionally the playback tricks 'Time Stretch' and Pitch Shift' won't work with MP3 files sampled at 48.0 kHz.

Regarding the OP's problem, I would check the length of the filenames first, as Toril suggested.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

So if one was to convert an mp3 to WAV, then would time stretch and pitch shifts work as expected ?
Or is there a way to convert mp3 to the required sample rate to leverage the features ?

Thanks

-Sandeep

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:31 AM »
Hi Sandeep,

I can't see any reason why Time Stretch and Pitch Change shouldn't try to work with files that have been converted to a suitable format.

However I don't know how much the quality of the end results might be affected after converting MP3s! 

Remember MP3 files have been encoded using lossy data compression, and during this process some of the data from the original source has been thrown out in order to produce smaller file.  This lost data can't be recovered, so any further conversion process on such a file will be much more difficult for the encoder to produce good results, and the lower the 'bit rate' of the MP3 being reprocessed, the more difficult it will be!   Once converted using the playback 'tricks' themselves may also reduce the quality of the audio, especially if you push them to extremes!

It's worth a try though.  At the end of the day it's you that decides if the quality of the results are acceptable for your purpose!

You can find many on-line or downloadable audio file converters on the internet to use for the conversion.

If you try it, let us know the results.

Regards

Ian

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 01:53:02 AM »
Thanks Ian. Will try some day and inform on my findings.