Author Topic: Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5  (Read 53012 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
I’ve given Yamaha over $20,000 of my money in the past 10 years

I think they should send me 4 or 5 free styles every month
And a Yamaha cap every Christmas. lol

5 keyboards, 2 speaker systems and a Mixer

And how much did you pay for the Genos styles you are using?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pino

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2018, 12:41:03 AM »
Fred, maybe it’s a good idea to go out more
Take your Genos out and do a few gigs now and again
It really GOOD FUN,  :)

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2018, 01:58:49 AM »
I think it is a sad state of affairs when people cannot have open and
frank discussions about the Pros and Cons of a keyboard.

Vehemently defensive responses like " you'll never make friends here"
or "leave Genos owners in peace" when the same Genos owners are
complaining about bugs and all kinds of issues on a daily basis here,
are not a healthy attitude.

I believe that some members truly want to understand all there is to
know about issues, before taking the plunge and buying a Genos.

And some who want to question the wild claims that the Genos is
twice as good, or even 10 times better than their Tyroses,.

They post their doubts and questions here, not to deride the Genos
or it's owners, but to get a better understanding, and possibly
answers, delivered in a reasonable fashion.

I have read a post, by Will49 I think, where a knowledgeable person has told him
that, with keyboard technology already so advanced, it is impossible to make a
huge technological leap from one keyboard generation to the next.

A slight improvement yes, but not twice or ten times better than a previous
generation.

This has always been a friendly forum, where people came to seek answers.

But something has changed in a profound way.

There is an unhealthy and defensive hostility from some quarters,
directed at other members who question the veracity of some claims
relating to the Genos.

A member, whose posts have now been deleted, advised me not to post here,
when I noted that Genos prices are beginning to be more affordable.

This section may be about the Genos, but not exclusive to Genos owners.

It is my understanding that any member is free to post their thoughts, questions,
and concerns here.

Agreeing to disagree on issues in a civil and polite manner has always been the
adult way of doing things.

Please let's go back to the days when civility was the order of the day.

Best Regards.
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:49:04 AM by Pianoman »

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, fjafan

Offline Bud2

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2018, 02:58:47 AM »
The Genos styles played on another keyboard will never sound anything like they would on the Genos because they won't have the Revo drums in them, to me this is one of the main things that maked the Genos stand out from the rest.  :)
Bill

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
I think it is a sad state of affairs when people cannot have open and
frank discussions about the Pros and Cons of a keyboard...

... But something has changed in a profound way...

... It is my understanding that any member is free to post their thoughts, questions,
and concerns here.

Agreeing to disagree on issues in a civil and polite manner has always been the
adult way of doing things.

Please let's go back to the days when civility was the order of the day.

Best Regards.
Pianoman.

Thank you for your comments.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2018, 03:09:17 AM »
I notice three major improvements on the Genos over the T5:

• Far better pianos
  • Revo drums
  • Overall sound processing
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

whataguy

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2018, 03:10:59 AM »
That's why I stopped wearing high heels, a skirt and blouse, I Just Don't look as Good in them. Like Ringo Starr is famous for saying "Peace and Love, Peace and Love". D. in MI

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »
Thank you for your comments.

;)

Joe H

You're most welcome Joe.

I thought that it might help bring back a bit of civility.
It sometimes seems like madness has prevailed and
reason has been tossed out of the window.

I appreciate your comments and the thanks.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline panos

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2018, 04:32:33 AM »
"Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5"
...and nobody sales his Genos :(
That makes the Genos owners so unfriendly...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:34:48 AM by panos »

Online Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:05 AM »
"Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5"
...and nobody sales his Genos :(
That makes the Genos owners so unfriendly...

;D Not quite true, here is one used at norwegian 'Finn', a kind of eBay.
There will be more, just give it time. The prices for new items getting lower each week, so if pocket is loaded and patience is your friend,all that sudden you'll have one. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
I think it is a sad state of affairs when people cannot have open and frank discussions about the Pros and Cons of a keyboard.
.......Vehemently defensive responses like " you'll never make friends here" or "leave Genos owners in peace" ..... are not a healthy attitude.....

Pianoman.

THANKS for an overdue excellent reflective post.  But first a little off topic:  I went to YouTube and realized what a great performer you are. I looked and listened to What a Wonderful World several times and having enjoyed Louis Armstrong live many times  during a long life I was overwhelmed by how well you could impersonate him not only vocally, also in his habitus. He was not only a great musician but had an unrivaled charm on stage. I wonder whether you used the "Mary to Bob setting" for the vocal (I do for many of  Armstrong's songs)  but it does not sound half as authentic as you do.  Purists tell me I should not  try to imitate neither Louis Armstrong nor Nat King Cole, but it is tempting with to-days technology.

I am on many forums - not only music, also technical and all-round ones like Quora - and I cannot help a strange feeling creeping up.  There is an imbalance between  useless arguing and real help. (I would not be surprised in case I learned that all these very informative posts like  "My Genos arrived this afternoon, fantastic !"  could have the same type of origin as the hundreds of thousands of posts telling us how great Mr.Putin is.

For instance I have the problem with two specimens of Genos, namely that on both the memorized registry settings  that at first work as they should  (which means they must have been set up properly), after a couple of gigs  are completely corrupted, e.g. return to default slider settings, intros left out, tempos changed etc.  And this is irrespective of  whether they were saved on User or a USB, so I deduct it cannot be a defect in the memory medium, it must be a defect in the  "interpretation software"  of what is in the memory. As a fact the page listing the bank shows it is not what it used to be.  It would seem impossible to me that I have the only two Genos with this problem.  So I ask myself  how come no-one has touched this vital problem or responded.  Could it be that it is the "my car is faultless -syndrome" you have all encountered.  People are not aware of  a cooling insufficiency  defect because they never did what brings up the problem like driving over the Swiss Alps. But then again there are too many VERY knowledgeable  posters on this forum to whom this cannot apply.

Cheers
Kaarlo

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2018, 05:52:17 AM »
I notice three major improvements on the Genos over the T5:

• Far better pianos
  • Revo drums
  • Overall sound processing

Thanks Lee for a statement that that is not only  IMHO correct and to the point but very relevant for deciding whether to buy or not.   Help is what people expect from forums.  I does not really help to read "My Genos finally arrived this afternoon, I am very happy"  although the pursuit of happiness is even mentioned in the constitution.

Cheers 
Kaarlo 

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
THANKS for an overdue excellent reflective post.  But first a little off topic:  I went to YouTube and realized what a great performer you are. I looked and listened to What a Wonderful World several times and having enjoyed Louis Armstrong live many times  during a long life I was overwhelmed by how well you could impersonate him not only vocally, also in his habitus. He was not only a great musician but had an unrivaled charm on stage. I wonder whether you used the "Mary to Bob setting" for the vocal (I do for many of  Armstrong's songs)  but it does not sound half as authentic as you do. Purists tell me I should not  try to imitate neither Louis Armstrong nor Nat King Cole, but it is tempting with to-days technology.

Cheers
Kaarlo

Hello Kaarlo.

Thank you for your wonderful compliments, and for liking my post.
I appreciate both very much.

The level of incivility has been slowly rising these past few months.
At first almost imperceptible, but now gathering pace.

Some of it from long time members, who definitely should
know better. 

What is a Mary to Bob setting?
I've never heard that term used before.

I sing into my Yamaha powered mixer, not into the keyboard.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:18:51 AM by Pianoman »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
Mary > Bob" is a setting in the Tyros 5,  Genos and almost all Harmony Voice generators, where the input singer's voice is transferred  1 octave lower giving you  sort of a gravely Louis Armstrong voice.  It is also useful when having 2 harmony systems with one mic each like I use so that you can for instance mimic tunes like "Gone Fishing" made famous by Louis Armstrong   One singer sings some words and then the harmonized answer comes from the other system. Or for  instance  by singing into both mikes adding the melody one octave lower. You can get harmony + the low voice  on many harmonizers. but it will not sound natural without using two mics and moving your mouth back and forth between them. The Harmony voice generator on Genos is better than on Tyros and maybe even Digitech's and Helicons best rack mounted units  which I also happen to have just like the Roland VP 7.

http://www.gigasonic.com/Digitech-Vocalist-Live-Pro.html 

I am always surprised how few performers use voice harmonizing. It is probably because like with everything you must learn to use them to get a good result. This is a demo of how it should not sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHnp14NWFY0,

this is IMHO a very good example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx_gd-H7JAQ         

or am I blinded by that extremely charming Lady Satori ? As they say high age does not make you immune to female charm.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
Hello again Kaarlo.

Thank you very much for the explanation and the video link.

I have just watched the video and it's quite interesting, but it's a bit
too much technology for me.

Many music related circles here do not have a very high opinion of
Arranger keyboards, or arranger players in general.

We are not considered "real musicians" and our music is often called
"canned" music.

To keep working, it is not enough to just play good music.
I have to totally obliterate the competition, and get it
right every single time.

So I try to keep my use of technology at an absolute minimum, turning off as
many accompaniment tracks as necessary when playing.

Except when it is absolutely unavoidable to use all 8 tracks.

Singing into a hamonizer, where an audience hears a whole choir, even
though there's only one guy on stage, will destroy any credibility that I
still have left.

I normally just plug my microphone into my Mixer Amp and belt away
till it's time to go home.

It looks like a good tool for studio work though.

Thanks again.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:58:08 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Will49

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
Many music related circles here do not have a very high opinion of Arranger keyboards, or arranger players in general. We are not considered "real musicians" and our music is often called  "canned" music. So I try to keep my use of technology at an absolute minimum, turning off as many accompaniment tracks as necessary when playing.
Hi Abby. I totally agree! In fact, I have noticed a decline in my playing ability over the years... and that’s because all the modern technology has turned me into a lazy player! When I first got started (mid 1970s), it was on electronic organs, Hammond, Gulbransen, Kawai etc., none if which had any of today’s sophisticated auto-accompaniment tracks... so things like intros and endings were things you very often had to come up with yourself... and actually play them instead of hitting a button and listen to a recording as we now do!

This was brought home to me in a flash last year when someone I hadn't seen in many, many years called round - I had my Tyros 4 this time round. The last time I'd seen her was in 1982 when I had my Kawai DX900, so I couldn’t wait to show off my T4 to her. But I was immediately brought down to earth with a bump when she laughed and said... "Hey, that's bluffing but you're not fooling me... that thing is doing it all for you"! She's a very good friend from long ago, so no hard feelings! And more importantly, of course, is the fact that she was spot on! These modern arrangers may make some of us sound better than we did years ago, but it's not necessarily due to our playing ability as a lot of it is down to all that pre-recorded stuff jangling away inside the keyboard! Proper/”real musicians” are those who can turn all of that stuff off... and still sound amazing! ;)

Best regards,
Will49
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:56:09 PM by Will49 »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
Will, you bring up a good point. All my music instruction was on piano, once I started playing arrangers my playing ability declined and I got lazy.   I recently completed a 2 month long 1 hour weekly piano solo gig in the lobby of an upscale medical facility, it's a wallpaper music style gig but I was happy to have it because it got me back to playing piano.  Next year I'm already booked for 3 months but knowing that I'll be playing it I've gone back to working on piano solo tunes.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Offline EileenL

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
I do agree that I have never seen anything like the bickering that has gone on regards Genos. For one thing there are far to many sections. All Genos posts should be under one heading as other boards are. If Yamaha do look in on forums they must have been very disappointed in what they saw going on here. A lot of the nasty posts should have been stopped by moderators anyway. Genos section should be for information, help if needed and given in a constructive way.
  I know of quite a few peole that went back to there Tyros 4 keyboard after having Tyros 5 for a short while but it did not have the effect that going back to Tyros 5 from Genos has had. WHY??????

Pino

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
Will49,    after playing in 5 or 6 piece bands for many years and getting reasonable pay and then the discos and karaoke coming along with just one guy being paid the bands were put out of business,

Isn’t the arranger keyboard a way back in for some of us musicians

We’re  back in the completion 
be happy  :)

One man band

Offline panos

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »
Will, on the other hand, I am glad that those people with this attitude are just  "music related circles" as Abby said and not engineers.
We would still be living in the stone age with those old minds ;D
8 parts in a style = 8 hands playing music = 4 musicians less.
Once again technology is responsible for the unemployment. :(

So a musician that can play live like a whole band would have done,is not a "real" musician?
In that case the director of The London Philharmonic Orchestra may be nothing more
but a.... metronome? (or maybe the intro and the ending in keyboard's definition.  ;D)

Well in my point of view, some Dj's that the words do-re-mi sound like a playground for children or something, are excellent in playing and producing music.
"Real" or "fake", all I can hear as a listener is the result.

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2018, 09:37:34 PM »
Then again, Peter Baartmans uses a fair amount of background sounds on any arranger he demonstrates. Is he cheating? No, he's a great player who shines whether he plays in a band or with an arranger keyboard. In fact, since moving to the Genos, even my playing has become slightly better.

Folks, I've played live stage for for about 30 years. In that time, I have been in some amazing bands and some pretty crappy ones where their timing sucked and there were a lot of poor or incorrect chords. Playing with really good players is the same as being backed by an accurate and well designed arranger keyboard. In both cases, you play better. For the purist piano player, you can set the Fingering mode of the Tyros or Genos to suit your needs. Yamaha and other companies have achieved a very difficult goal: they produced a keyboard for beginners right up to experts. That's rare.

I'd wager there's a ton of people who would never have thought about playing a keyboard if the arranger had not been perfected. It's quite a contrast to some of the piano teachers of the 60s who would smack your fingers if you didn't play the scales correctly! I've met a lot of people who took lessons in that environment and quit because of it. The arranger gives them a new lease on their musical lives - at any age.

My favorite saying: if everyone on the planet played a musical instrument or sang, we wouldn't need police officers or armies.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Pino

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Eileen, you are correct
But don’t you think that it is partly Yamaha’s fault

This was a good time to build a new keyboard from the ground up

Yamaha is content to only give us some new sounds and some new styles
yes, I agree, the new touch screen is better
But we wanted more from this new range of keyboards

This is an arranger keyboard
We need the tools to easily edit voices, edit styles, edit drums, edit E record.(quantise etc.)
Record into a proper sequencer with a piano roll similar to what we had with ‘Technics and Roland and easy connect to outside software like ‘Cubase,

I already have excellent sounds, even the drums can be tunes to what I want.
The sounds on the Tyros and PSR’s are good
I just needed the tools for easy edits to what I have already got

Style edit, voice edit, drum edit and 16 track sequencer should have been a joy to use by now.
I think Yamaha is working on iPad apps right now, I hope so.

Yamaha had a great opportunity to build a new keyboard from the ground up

They missed that opportunity

Just my 2 cents

Antonio

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
Dear Pino,

I like you I was very angry, and I'm still ****** off for the silly things that Yamaha does, but with the 1.20 upgrade they have partially put in place those stupidities that make the keyboard in some ways a shame.

Apart from that it will last a couple of months and you will see that the keyboard will be acceptable to us demanding guys.

So do not you too a stupid worthy of Yamaha to sell an unfinished product ........ so much the Genos who buys it ?????
All in all despite its deficiencies, it is the best keyboard in the market.

Courage after Easter will give us the version 1.92 you say? and you will please Eileen that you keep the Genos !!!
 :D :D

spero che il traduttore funzioni bene!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:32:27 PM by Antonio »

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »
Interesting thread.

Re: Lee’s comment about new players, I’m one.  I’m a guitar player who has had a great time playing arranger...though I’m not the best player. But I wouldn’t have tried to learn keyboard at all starting out in my 60’s if it hadn’t been for Yamaha arrangers.

To those of you who think Yamaha missed the boat building Genos from the ground up....

If you want something totally different...buy something different.  I bought a PA4X, very different from Yamaha...new OS to learn and all.  However, as great as the PA4X is, I missed the voices and styles of Yamaha....also missed the registration system.

Yamaha made just enough changes in Genos that got me to switch back.  Things like a touch screen, lighter keyboard, playlist, assignable knobs and sliders, a very upgradeable OS...well the list goes on.

Yamaha, IMHO, did the Genos in a very smart way, making huge changes in the structure of the board yet keeping those things that brought me back to Yamaha.

Like I said, if you want something different...buy something different.  Get a Korg PA4X, Roland arranger, or buy a stage piano and add a Ketron SD40 or Roland BK 9(I think that’s what it’s called).

I’m not suggesting that those posting shouldn’t offer constructive suggestions, that’s helpful. 

But it seems to me that some folks want the Genos to be something it isn’t and never will be. Those folks should look at buying something different than Genos.

😊

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:34:42 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »
I have to agree with you there. No one twisted our arm to buy Genos. It was our choice and we should not be made to feel inferior because we are happy with it. I want mine to act like a keyboard and play it as such. I don't want to try to add bits and pieces to it and run it through different programmes. I understand people that do but do not blame the keyboard if it will not work for you and then say it is bugs. Find out from Yamaha if what you want to do is possible. Any one who knows me will know that that I have always done all my editing on my various keyboards and for me Genos is no different. Top marks to Yamaha for retaining an operating system that we all know.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2018, 12:12:34 AM »

But it seems to me that some folks want the Genos to be something it isn’t and never will be. Those folks should look at buying something different than Genos.

😊

I agree with most of what you say but... I wouldn't bet the farm on statement above. Yamaha do  listen.

The current Genos is far from being the final product.  The users and players will tell Yamaha what they want see added. They took this new approach with the Montage and Genos both.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Pino

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2018, 01:27:16 AM »

Guitpick, isn’t that strange, I just bought a Ketron SD-40 a while ago and I will Midi it to my S970 and I sold a Roland BK9 last years, a very good keyboard.

My main boards have been Yamaha since Technics finished, I know the OS pretty well and can do ‘workarounds’ if needed, all I’m saying is that Yamaha should go back and sort out the editing side before concentrating on more sound advancement.

Shouldn’t drum editing be a little bit more up to date at 2018, something with pads or drums on the screen, similar to the photo?.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bud2

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:34 AM »
I admit I am not a professioal player but I have had all the Tyros's since Tyros 2 and I now have the Genos, however I have never seen so much unhappy and fault finding in any of the Tyros's like I am seeing with the Genos. I have always made my own registrations and the only Tyros I had to do the most work with was the Tyros 5 because I thought and some people have agreed with me that the OTS on the Tyros 5 were the worst I have come across since the Tyros 2, however with the Genos I have a lot less to do to make my Registrations what I want so as far as I am concerned the Genos is great and on top of this, in my opinion and others, the sound system which comes with the Genos is the first one worthy of being attached to the top of the range keyboard. Just my view on this Genos.
Bill

gerarde

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:05 AM »
I think there are 2 types of arranger players.
One type does a lot of editing and one type that does not.
I fall into the second type that does not do a lot of editing.
I had a TYROS 4, Tyros 5-76 and a PSR S970.
I took all the styles I had from those keyboards, mainly purchased song styles and changed the drums on most of them to REVO drums and on many changed to better sounding bass guitars, etc.
It was easy to do.
Everything I had on my Tyros's and the PSR, I have on the Genos and much much more.
I do not need to do extensive editing, I just want my styles to be as close to the song as I can get, without spending hours and hours of tweaking.
I feel that many, many arranger players are like me.
I am so happy with the new pianos, REVO drums and sound processing.
So, much of this editing that some posts state that they want is not a bug in Genos, it is a "I wish it was there", and in some cases state, "It should be there, it is not complete without it there".
The Tyros was complete for what it would do.
The PSR S970 was complete for what it would do.
And the Genos is complete for what it can do, and satisfies, I feel, the majority of owners.
And the good news is that it is definitely better than all its predecessors.
My 2 cents worth,

Gerard

Offline Joe H

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »
I'm a bit surprised by all the "black and white" thinking.   Life is made up of millions of colors.  I guess some folks are just colored-blind.

If one is not detailed, they will never appreciate what it takes to produce a beautiful painting, fine Classical piece of music, a distinctive piece of architecture or even Classic piece of period furniture, etc.

;)

Joe H

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »
There is no substitute for talent. Industry and all its virtues are of no avail.

Aldous Huxley

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
Well guys and gals, I must agree with my friend Abby. From my perspective, over the years and having owned many, many arranger keyboards, I have never seen this much hostility and controversy expressed over any musical instrument.

And, as I have stated many times in the past, the primary function of this forum is, and always has been, to provide assistance to those in need. Yes, Yamaha does monitor this site and from what I have been told, they consider it among the top arranger keyboard sites on the internet. Over the years, they have responded positively to most consumers requests. I consider them to be among the very best arranger keyboard manufactures in this respect. No other manufacturer has provided us with the support and attention that Yamaha has in my lifetime.

Please keep your replies civil,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Denn

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
My Tyros 4
To the tune of “Put Your Sweet Lips a little closer to the Phone”

I’m so glad that you have answered all my posts
The Genos and the Korg are now just ghosts,
I’ve heard the songs and sounds that you all play
So now, my Tyros 4 just has to stay.

You say the sounds and tones are oh so good
And at the price you pay they really should
But touching screens and toggle sticks are not my way
So now, my Tyros 4 is here to stay.

I have played my alto sax a lot and it is sweet and low
I have tweaked my real strings again and they are oh so slow

They say that “want,” like love, can make you blind
So the Genos and the Korg are not my kind
I’ve seen the pics and heard the sounds that’s all I’ll say
So now, my Tyros 4 just has to stay.

Link to the tune.
https://app.box.com/s/qjawqqpcyahg178l8bwxvjwnq61lksyq

[/size]
Love knitting dolls

Pino

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:33 AM »
Yes Gary, you have the last word.

And thank you for all your valuable contributions to the PSR community
over the years.

Best Regards

Pino

Offline EileenL

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
Yes Gary Yamaha do listen and if they think a suggestion will work well for everyone they will do there best to incorporate it but there are limits. You can not provide everything most of which would only be used by the few and I am sure most people would not want to pay for something they do not use. I think we may see some Ipad apps coming along that may enable different uses.

Offline wolfram

« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Yes ,Eileen & Gerard.The genos is a super machine and even better than the tyros5.
I have no troubles with the Genos since i have it(30/10/2017
regards,
wolfram

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2018, 11:35:42 PM »
Interesting thread.

Re: Lee’s comment about new players, I’m one.  I’m a guitar player who has had a great time playing arranger...though I’m not the best player. But I wouldn’t have tried to learn keyboard at all starting out in my 60’s if it hadn’t been for Yamaha arrangers.

To those of you who think Yamaha missed the boat building Genos from the ground up....

If you want something totally different...buy something different.  I bought a PA4X, very different from Yamaha...new OS to learn and all.  However, as great as the PA4X is, I missed the voices and styles of Yamaha....also missed the registration system.

Yamaha made just enough changes in Genos that got me to switch back.  Things like a touch screen, lighter keyboard, playlist, assignable knobs and sliders, a very upgradeable OS...well the list goes on.

Yamaha, IMHO, did the Genos in a very smart way, making huge changes in the structure of the board yet keeping those things that brought me back to Yamaha.

Like I said, if you want something different...buy something different.  Get a Korg PA4X, Roland arranger, or buy a stage piano and add a Ketron SD40 or Roland BK 9(I think that’s what it’s called).

I’m not suggesting that those posting shouldn’t offer constructive suggestions, that’s helpful. 

😊For many years I used the Tyros 1 and 3, I was looking for a lighter keyboard.  I got a Ketron Audya 4 Arranger Modula, midied it with a Yamaha keyboard.  The styles of the Audya are good the voices are OK, now it takes longer to set-up, having back problem it is not easy to carry more items.  I was reading about GENOS the new arranger. does anyone knows a link where I can hear all the styles of this new arranger? 

Thank you
Gino

Offline Joe H

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2018, 12:14:03 AM »
... These modern arrangers may make some of us sound better than we did years ago, but it's not necessarily due to our playing ability as a lot of it is down to all that pre-recorded stuff jangling away inside the keyboard! Proper/”real musicians” are those who can turn all of that stuff off... and still sound amazing! ;)

Best regards,
Will49

That's a valid point of view, but when we try to make our own styles and Multi Pads... things change.  While the Preset styles can be referred to as "canned music" creating our own styles is not. The process of creating the entire music ourselves... That takes talent and skill. And when we play our own styles and Multi Pads it is our own music... all of it

;)

Joe H

dont811

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
If they are starting from scratch, I think the Genos is easier to learn, because it has a touch screen, which most people find more intuitive (witness the popularity of the iPad).Fred   

*** Fred,  You're "...because it has a touch screen."  makes my mouth salivate simply because I, just last night, began playing my  Korg I-30 WITH the touch screen. You see, my S910 had major issues with it's memory as I was attempting to change .rgt. It caused me to have a meltdown right at the beginning of the night. I had only wished I had my I-30 along for backup.  "because it has a touch screen..."  I have to look the Genos up just for kicks. Thanks, Don

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
The Yamaha Genos, and I have one, reminds me VERY much like the old Yamaha Organ Electones ... as well as the Lowrey Magic Genies or whatever those organs were that did all these sounds and sounded like a full orchestra....

In my opinion - The Genos is just that ... a single manual electone .... that's all ... nothing more ... nothing less ... I have ALWAYS been somewhat dissapointed with the Tyros ... and now, the Genos. As mentioned in a different thread I posted in, my Motif has the sequencer I want in the Genos ... primarily because in the Motif, you can record a "tempo" track, as well as have a single song that contains different time signature ... songs like 10,000 Reasons, which intermixes 4/4 with 2/4, and and Everlasting God, which does the same type of thing ....

Now - perhaps, through registration usage, this could be accomplished ... "maybe" ... I have to experiment ...

But - don't get me wrong ... I like the Genos ... I'm just not pleased calling it an arranger workstation ... because ... it isn't... I see a lot of older generations have this keyboard ... "why?" because it's easy to play ... You could play chords with one finger ...