Author Topic: Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5  (Read 53003 times)

Offline mikf

Re: Genos for sale - Back to Tyros 5
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 05:32:08 AM »
It I s a little amusing to see how many posts there have been here over the last 6 months telling Yamaha how much they have screwed this up - bad advertising campaign, this bug, that bug, sound and features below expectations etc etc . The fact is Yamaha are probably celebrating a massive success. I would not be surprised if it has not put the arranger market front and center in keyboard sales.
One possible reason pianoman did not mention for falling prices is high volume of sales. If I was in the market for a new portable arranger today I would definitely buy a Genos. That does not mean it’s perfect, or that previous models or competitive models are bad - just that on balance it’s arguably the best out there right now. That never lasts forever though.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2018, 05:37:09 AM »
Hi Graham
I will have to go to Specsavers now!!! :P

By the way Graham, Swindon will hammer Cheltenham on Saturday  "come on you reds"!!! :-*

All the Best
john :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:38:10 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Will49

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »
]Just an error, must have iaccidentally touched post when I was doing a spell check
Ah, ok. I had noticed though that the first one contained a small typo (which had been corrected in the second one) and was going to point out that you could have used the 'Modify' button, then hit 'Save'. You could also delete the first one with the 'Remove' button.

Kind regards,
Will

Offline Will49

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 08:02:14 AM »
The guys a nutter!! ;D
Hi John. Hmm, not sure that it's fair to call him a "nutter"! You see, Tyros 5 was (and still is) an awsome arranger for many people, and they might also refer to all you guys who (in their minds) have been complete nutters to part with such a huge sum of money for what they feel is such a small improvement. Believe it or not, there are some out there who feel that the Tyros 5 is just as good as the Genos any day, and that certain aspects of it even suits them better for what they do... but I certainly wouldn't say they're "nutters"! 😉

Best regards,
Will
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:43:02 PM by Will49 »

Offline Afton72

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
   Pino,   
                 Your rendition of Nearness Of You  is beautiful,  I just sat back in the chair & closed my eyes, & let it soothe it's way in.
            Thank You,
                                Alan

Pino

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:28 AM »
Thank you Alan
That was done straight, Styles only, on the S910

That is my point
You do not need a Genos to make good music

My original point was that keyboards are getting more complicated every new upgrade
Same happened with the Korg Pa4x, too much time editing,
Going back to a keyboard that we know means "playing more"
I now see some of my students spending 70% of their time editing and not playing.

Ugawoga

You may be right, as u say, maybe I am a ‘nutter’, but I am a good musician

YOU have spent a lot of time and money on your Genos, speakers and Cubase

Please send some music here, preferably the same song
So that we can compare exactly on how much better your new setup is

It’s about playing music at the end of the day, isn’t it?

https://app.box.com/s/383vr0pfyan3ddxtl0ollc74e7w28g5x

Offline Joe H

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
It has been said that how we view others is a "grand projection".  (we each wear our own colored glasses) We can only view the world through our own eyes and interpret it through our own consciousness.  It may be true that sometimes people are "perceptive"... but most often it is just a grand projection.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Charlie Love

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
By the way John, my picture ain’t upside down.
I live near Lichfield.

Hi Graham

I guess you have to be British to get the joke. Would you mind to enlighten me. all I found was Quaker George Fox shouting: „Woe to the bloody city of Lichfield!"  ;D
Regards, Michael

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
Yes Genos is a great keyboard and is still selling very well. I don't know anyone who paid the full asking price when it first appeared which I think was round about £4300 in UK. If you do not have the speakers then it is cheaper also. Don't forget it can also go the other way and Yamaha usually do raise prices after a while.

3590 Euros is equivalent to 3200£, a saving of 1100£.

This should be a a fairer price for many people who don't own a Genos yet,
but are leaning towards  buying one.

Best Regards.
Pianoman.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »
Genos is Genius!

Only Day 5 with this great machine and already hooked completely. Tyros 5 is now up for sale.

Richard

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Congratulations on your new Genos Richard.
Wishing you many hours of enjoyment.

Best Regards.
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:54:43 PM by Pianoman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
Hi Pino,
  Loved your song. Played from the heart which to me is what just sitting down and playing is all about. Dose not matter what keyboard you have. You don't need miles of Equipment to enjoy playing Genos. Just switch on select your style and favorite sounds and play.

Pino

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »
Thank you Eileen, my favourite Essex girl,

I play cocktail 2 hours in a restaurant so slower songs to start with and then dancing stuff.
I finish at 9pm and have to get my gear out pretty quick to make room for the big band
Smaller and lighter is essential for me when gigging.

I Midi to my Ketron Sd40 and that has really nice clarinets etc
I will buy a Genos one day for sure. Just waiting for the 61  :)

Happy Playing

Pino

Offline EileenL

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
Pretty sure we will not see a 61 note Genos but it only weighs 30 pounds so is lighter than Tyros.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »
Pretty sure we will not see a 61 note Genos but it only weighs 30 pounds so is lighter than Tyros.

We will never see a 61 key Genos.

Yamaha have settled on Clavinova at 88 keys, Genos at 76, and PSR at 61. Makes a lot of marketing sense and easy for consumers to identify with.

If you're looking for a "61-key Genos", you'll need to wait for the next PSR model.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2018, 12:10:01 AM »
It’s about playing music at the end of the day, isn’t it?
I used to think this as well, but as I read the forum over the years, I realized that's it is not just about playing music - that is too narrow a definition. It is about enjoyment. Some people get just as much enjoyment out of playing around with the system features, DSPs, creating new sounds, making recordings..... The truth is that half decent players can make excellent music on almost any decent arranger (or for that matter keyboard) made in the last 15 years, and the not so good players will not magically get better just because they play a newer model.  99% of listeners will never know or care whether we are playing the latest and greatest, or have the DSPs tweaked perfectly, or the worlds best sound system. What they hear and enjoy is almost totally dependent on what tune we play and how well we play it.
So why do we keep buying the latest and greatest? - because we enjoy it, because we get pleasure from owning it, because we like to play with new features ... and many other reasons besides simply being able to play music. 
Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:58 AM »
...So why do we keep buying the latest and greatest? - because we enjoy it, because we get pleasure from owning it, because we like to play with new features ... and many other reasons besides simply being able to play music. 
:)
Jupp, and beside of all other good reasons, we won't get the money carried with us when we take the final trip.
Better use them as best as we can while we still are able to do so.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Yes that's what I say. There are no pockets in shrouds. ;)

Offline Bud2

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2018, 02:46:15 AM »
Yes some people get pleasure from going to the movies or going out for a drink, me personally I get pleasure out of playing my keyboard, I may not be very good at it but I still enjoy it as well as using the latest technology in them. I also agree you can't take it with you and none of us know when that day will come. ;)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:42 AM »
Hi will

NUTTERS!!

You must be if you do not like the Genos.
I will prove It with my next three songs.
I have put a couple up and I am not impressed with my own work.
I have now reworked my registrations and that has not been easy. So disatisfied with the quality I was getting out.
I do know now by balancing the sounds and getting the Dsp right, It will blow you away, but that takes time like it has done with me since last December.
Decent speakers also helps as the Genos speakers are sub standard for such an expensive machine.
You get what you pay for In the long run.
The stereo spaciousness you can get is phenominal, but certain retro songs you have to be satisfied with the way they were originally recorded or you will lose that feel.
I am finding this keyboard a legend with the amount of quality sound that comes out of It.
You just have to praise Yamaha.
About 50years ago a keyboard of this quality would have cost you over £200,000 or perhaps more ;D

all the Best
john 8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:01:18 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
Hi John (Nutter)  :)
Thanks for your reply.

I never once mentioned that I did not like Genos, it’s the best keyboard to date, for sure
I just don’t need it right now,

Most of the replies on this post is from members with years of experience with Yamaha keyboards
I was referring to older players that do not have computer skills
I know 3 older guys that wish they hadn’t sold their Tyros. That’s all I said, full stop.

John, I’ve followed all your posts here and just wandered how you got on with recording Genos into Cubase, then save the midi file and play back the midi from Genos, same sound quality or not, does Cubase handle SysEx ok, how did it go?

Regards

Pino.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:25:49 PM by Pino »

Rogthedodge

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Lots of views and opinions but we all have to accept that each of us make choices for our own reasons. I’ve tried a Genos  and I am back with my Tyros 5 and very happy with it. My issue had nothing to do with the sound nor operating system, I did try to resolve my issue but couldn’t.
I have to be able to read the music and the  position of it is too far back/away, I purchased a mic stand and mounted a document holder on it but then I couldn’t see the fixed screen. I have brackets which fit into the holes on back of Tyros which raises and brings forward the music, can’t do that on Genos.
If anyone has any ideas how to overcome this with the paper music please let me know I’d be grateful, then I might be able to get a Genos
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:43:34 PM by Rogthedodge »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 07:10:57 PM »
Lots of views and opinions but we all have to accept that each of us make choices for our own reasons. I’ve tried a Genos  and I am back with my Tyros 5 and very happy with it. My issue had nothing to do with the sound nor operating system, I did try to resolve my issue but couldn’t.
I have to be able to read the music and the  position of it is too far back/away, I purchased a mic stand and mounted a document holder on it but then I couldn’t see the fixed screen. I have brackets which fit into the holes on back of Tyros which raises and brings forward the music, can’t do that on Genos.
If anyone has any ideas how to overcome this with the paper music please let me know I’d be grateful, then I might be able to get a Genos

Put your sheet music on an iPad.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Rogthedodge

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Thanks Fred I have about 200 songs in 4score but I have too many to scan and I’d have to buy a large iPad , so gave up on that option.
Regards
Rog

Offline Oldden

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
Hi,

Anybody thinking of buying an iPad Pro at the moment, read any Apple information website. Seems a lot of rumers about that Apple will be updating them so that they will be similar to the iPhone x in June. Perhaps even a cheaper iPad, plus a new lower price iPhone X as the one out now isn't selling well.

Oldden

Offline Will49

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
NUTTERS!! You must be if you do not like the Genos.
Hi John. Wrong. Rolls-Royce have always had the reputation of being the manufacturers of ‘the best car in the world’. But even for those who can easily afford one (or even two or three), it doesn’t necessarily mean that a Rolls is to their taste... which is why they will opt for other brands of expensive cars. Same with keyboards of course, and everything else for that matter... the 'best in the world' (of anything) may not always be everyone's cup of tea!  ;)
About 50years ago a keyboard of this quality would have cost you over £200,000 or perhaps more
And I’m sure there would have been a few “nutters” around even then too, and would have gone and bought one!! Just joking!  ;D ;D

Kind regards,
Will

Offline EileenL

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
Hi Rog,
  I understand what you mean. I had those stand adapters for my Tyros 5 and thought I would miss them. Because Genos is not so deep the music stand is not at a bad distance for me now. I had glasses made for this distance and they also work well with my computer. I also rewrite a lot of my favorite music out in larger print in a programme called Music Time which lets you choose the size of chord and notes to suit you.
  I was determined not to be beat because I wanted this keyboard and have no regrets at getting it. Keep enjoying what you have and feel comfortable with.

Rogthedodge

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »
Hi Eileen
Where did you get music time from please? Is it fir iPad or PC/mac
Regards
Rog

Offline Bud2

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
One of the first things I noticed when I sat at the Genos at the Yamaha Weekend, as soon as I put my music on the stand was how much closer it was and I commented to the person sitting at the other Genos next to me and he agreed and said " after all this time of us complaining and having to use the brackets to bring the music closer, they have done something at last". I must admit I have not measured how much closer it is but I know I don't miss having the brackets to bring the music closer.
Bill

Rogthedodge

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
I've tried a Genos and I can accurately say that the Music stand is too far away for me and not much different to the Tyros without the extension brackets.
Regards
Rog

Offline EileenL

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2018, 11:18:38 PM »
Hi Rog it is made by Gvox and is for PC or MAC.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
Eileen, if I don't remeber it wrong this is a rather old software been around for a while?
Years ago I think it was Passport software, I did Use masterTracks Pro back then, that's why I think about it..
Did a Goggle search, and found this: http://www.passportmusic.com/products/musictime-deluxe/

Quote from website:

If you are still using GVOX Encore or MusicTime Deluxe – ACTION IS REQUIRED to get your free* updated version of Encore and MusicTime Deluxe. Encore and MusicTime Deluxe updates for Mac and Windows are available now and MUST** be downloaded from: http://www.passportmusic.com/downloads/

*The updates are free to any Encore 5.x/ MusicTime Deluxe 4.x customers.
** For all Gvox versions
Encore for Windows is multi-lingual:  English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch and Portuguese.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
I've tried a Genos and I can accurately say that the Music stand is too far away for me and not much different to the Tyros without the extension brackets.
Regards
Rog

Measure the distance from your eyes to the  music (you could use a piece of string)
Go to any shop where they sell these cheap reading specs and hold the string out from your eyes to the sample wording. Choose the correct one so you can see clearly. I paid a £1 pair, I bought two pairs with different  lenses because my eyes are different, then swapped the lens from the one pair the the other. So I only paid £2 in all and they work for my PC as well. It’s worth the effort and a lot cheaper than going to the opticians. I did the same for my reading specs as well.
Give it a try.
Graham
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Offline StuartR

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2018, 01:23:53 AM »
Hi,

Anybody thinking of buying an iPad Pro at the moment, read any Apple information website. Seems a lot of rumers about that Apple will be updating them so that they will be similar to the iPhone x in June. Perhaps even a cheaper iPad, plus a new lower price iPhone X as the one out now isn't selling well.

Oldden

Not necessary. You can buy a refurbished iPad Air 2 for about $250 USD on Amazon. I just bought both my wife and I one. One was actually brand new. Both even had the cellular option.
Add Songbook+, a Yamaha Bluetooth adapter and a wireless page turner and you're all set.

Pino

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
My iPad Pro 12.9 stopped working a few months ago
I went back to my iPad Air

It’s just not workable

Next day I went out to buy another iPad Pro 12.9
A painful move but there is no other option for me
A4 sized sheets, brilliant.  :)

Pino

Thecooltool

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
It is the extrapolation of one's own judgments to others. There was always a prophet of the apocalypse for every new Tyros from 1 to 5. Now it's the turn to predict the end and defeat for the Genos line :)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Tyros 5 go back to!!

The guys a nutter!! ;D

Genos is an unbelievable Instrument. You can shape almost everything.
It has take me some time to get used to the Genos.
Once you get the right can opener you are steaming ahead :o

Question for Grey Fox-----------------"are you Australian"??????????????

All the best
John

What precisely is a nutter, anyway?   :o   :P   ;D

You say, "Genos can shape almost everything".
Two big gripes, BIG ( large size )  gripes I have with my T4:

1. the 8 sliders for volume, are the worst in the world of keyboards in my long experience. My 20 year old Kurzweil was leagues under the sea superior.

2. The fact that you cannot properly even begin to "shape" the decay on the basses. $5000 and I cannot even begin to decay the bass!

My T4 basses ( I mainly use Lo Bass , played manually- a decent sounding bass, save the lack of decay- and forget Voice Set is a waste of time to that end ) at the end of a song, has
zero decay. I have to physically attenuate ( drop the volume ) the Left Bass at the end of a song.. because there is no decay on the bass. Trust me, I have discussed this with more than one tech support person.. it simply is not in the design of the Tyros.
- CAN the Genos create a half way decent decay on eg a bass voice?

Disclaimer: I am a professional bass player and keyboardist ( former sax ) and I am much more conscious of bass than most.

The only possible excuse for the miserable failures that the 8 volume sliders (directly under the screen), is the fact that their travel is so short. That might be the excuse.

-How is Genos in this respect?

And how much cash in USA with a trade of my T4 for the Genos without speakers.. approx?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:04:32 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »
What precisely is a nutter, anyway?   :o   :P   ;D

I think the American English translation is:  "Nut Job"

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Yes yes, now I know what a nutter is.. most grateful. Now that I know, I will be very
watchful for these nutter types... they sound a bit dangerous.

Has the decay functionality for a Voice, been improved since the Tyros 4?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

whataguy

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
And here I thought sliders are what you ordered with a beer for a quick and easy lunch. Don in MI

Offline Will49

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2018, 02:48:49 AM »
And here I thought sliders are what you ordered with a beer for a quick and easy lunch.
Well, I didn't know that one... so looked it up:
https://www.thespruce.com/all-american-sliders-479161

...and here in the UK, 'sliders' are what women wear on their feet!! 😁 😁
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11435540316693642364

Regards,
Will

whataguy

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
Will, you are my kinda guy. Now look up 'Good On Ya'. Don in MI

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Offline Gloria

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »

Well, I feel I can put my 2 cents worth in - I just heard a live demo in our Scottsdale, Az.music store played by a PSR Forum member & professional entertainer, Manuel Dorantes & he & his Genos are just fantastic!  I listened "live" & last wk. listened over my inexpensive computer speakers & you can hear a big difference when even only one note is played on the Genos!
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

whataguy

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
I agree G., thanks for the heads-up. Keep 'em comin'. Don in MI

Pino

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I know,  Genos sounds good
But,
As a gigging musician, what new features would I benefit from using Genos?
I’m already playing Genos styles on all my keyboards.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:24:55 PM by Pino »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
I’m already playing Genos styles on all my keyboards.

Be sure to thank those that bought a Genos who made this possible for you.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2018, 11:30:05 PM »
Yes I agree Fred. Tyros will never sound like a Genos and neither will the styles.

Offline panos

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2018, 02:45:47 AM »
I have also downloaded the Classic demonstration style of the Genos.
After revoicing/mixing the style I have played it on my psr s750.

https://soundcloud.com/user-74537650/game-of-thrones-main-themeyamaha-psr-s750-keyboard-cover

When Main D comes in about the middle of the cover. you can hear the keyboard "struggling" to produce the sounds.
The right hand vilolin sounds are like choking and their volume is dramatically reduced like there is a cut off effect.
I guess there are too many organs playing at the same time and the keyboard just cannot handle all those sounds.
I think this is where a keyboard's polyphony capability gets involved?
So at least to me, is obvious what the differences may be between a really good model as my own and the best model out there right now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:48:04 AM by panos »

Pino

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
Hi Fred
I’ve given Yamaha over $20,000 of my money in the past 10 years

I think they should send me 4 or 5 free styles every month
And a Yamaha cap every Christmas. lol

5 keyboards, 2 speaker systems and a Mixer

Have a nice day  :)