Author Topic: 3/4 and 6/8 vs 2/4 and 4/4  (Read 7595 times)

Offline anandmaloo

3/4 and 6/8 vs 2/4 and 4/4
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »

Hi,

I am importing a  a lot of rex loops for styles and multipads in my Genos and am totally confused about time signatures.   

I made all my 6-8 wav loops with rex time signature of 3/4 and 6/8.

However, when I played them along with 6-8 styles of Genos, they were off beat (to confirm these styles even had 6-8 name on it). Then I noticed that many of the 6/8 inbuilt styles are  of signature 4/4.  Not understood. Why does a 6-8 style not have a 6-8 or 3-4 signature ( I check the signature from the main screen on the top of style name)

One style I found - Guitar Serenade,  was 3/4. The loops played ok on this style.

I am surely missing  something about how to read time signature. Where can I get some material to understand it in detail, with examples.

Also, when the style is 4 beat and the multipad loop is 2 beat, the loop plays only half duration of the style bar. Is there a way to make sure that the 2 beat loop play twice (repeat itself) so as to not stop halfway during the play of 3rd and 4th beat

I also noticed that if the multipad loop is 4 beat and the style is 2 beat, then no problem. The style bar wil repeat till the multipad plays full.

Now the question is that - is it advisable to create loops of 2 bars or 4 bars. A bigger loop will surely play perfectly in all styles  2 beat or 4 beat. But it doubles the loop size and hence takes more of space.

Don't know if I have put across my thought properly. Might have interchanged terms of bar beat etc.

Regards

Anand

Offline anandmaloo

Re: 3/4 and 6/8 vs 2/4 and 4/4
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
I checked a lot of previous posts in the forum and found that it is common for Yamaha to make 6-8 styles in 4/4 for some technical reason.
But there are also some styles which are 6-8 and also made with 6-8 signatures. To work around, many people in the forum have converted their 6-8 styles (from factory made 4/4 to their customized 6/8)

Now my problem is I am making a lot of 6-8 loops in Rex. What time signatures should  I keep them ? 4-4 or 6-8 ?  If the majority of 6-8 styles in Yamaha are inbuilt as 4-4, i would also make my 6-8 loops with time signature of 4-4.  (I don't think i am going to change factory made styles and store them)

Need advice. Please help. To clarify - all of this hassle is only to use these loops as multipads because they mismatch and play offbeat when a different time signature style is played. If I play my rex loops as solo styles, no problem at all irrespective of whatever time signatures they are made of.

Regards

Anand

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »
First thing to grasp is that although time signatures are written like fractions, they are not and have no relationship to fractions.  In fractions 6/8 and 3/4 are identical, but in music they are completely different animals. Time signatures in music follow certain conventions which pass some information to the reader about the nature of the piece, and organize the notes into easily read sections and not just about the beat. So for example if I see an Irish or Scottish tune with a 6/8 time signature I can be pretty sure it’s a reel or basically a 2/4 piece with triplets. Or a pop piece with a 12/8 you would instantly assume is doo wop. A lot of Latin rhythms which sound very complex will in fact be written in 4/4. Why - because that is convention.
It may look like math, but it’s not, it’s more like shorthand.
You need to google time signatures to get a really full explanation, there are many excellent articles on the net. .
Mike

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:12:00 AM »
I have convert the Genos interval 6/8 styles with 4/4 timsignature  in real 6/8 timsignature

https://app.box.com/s/akaeq90q6qjnmghn9f321ssjglk6dr8a
Best Regards,
Wim

The following users thanked this post: anandmaloo, DaveD, daikatana

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 01:33:07 PM »
Hi Wim,

Thanks a lot for your styles. Just extracted them on my PC and noticed that all styles have a copy with an additional star like symbol -like the following two here

Moonlight6-8°.T150
Moonlight6-8°°.T150

Could you explain what is the difference between these two styles

Regards

Anand

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
O i sent the tyros5 Version
° =6/8  with 1x 6/8 fill in
°° =12/8 with 2x 6/8 fill  like  the 6/8 styles in 4/4
Here the Genos Version
https://app.box.com/s/9os68vkhv5lrog4kk9o4ltc4xmlws2j5
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:47:10 PM by Wim NL »
Best Regards,
Wim

The following users thanked this post: DaveD

Gandalf43

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

Hi Wim,

what would we do without your friendly help  :) :) :)

Thank you very much friend

My Regards from the snowy NE

Udo