Author Topic: Canada finally counts  (Read 4638 times)

Canada finally counts
« on: March 06, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
Hi team,

Well I finally heard from my music store that Canada has been blessed with the Genos. Now I'm having severe second thoughts about making the change from my T5 because I'm a busy gigging musician and can't afford the luxury of all the delays and headaches being reported about this new so-called dream machine - bugs or pilot error not withstanding. Some people claim that all imported registrations work basically very well, while others are saying I had better budget at least a week for fine tuning before hitting the stage. Advice please. Many thanks  :).

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Canada finally counts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
I am in the "they work great" camp. My Tyros registrations all worked, and for any presets (styles and voices) it didn't have, it made intelligent substitutes.

Yes, I'm spending time working on my registrations, buy I do it at my leisure. They all gig properly, allowing me to improve them on my schedule.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
Thanks Fred! As you can see, it's a critical decision for me. Great advice, as usual.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
Just like Fred . . . .

I successfully transferred all my registrations from T5 to Genos.    To make it work with minimum time in advance to getting Genos i copied to USB from T5 all registrations, external multipads, external styles, etc.

Additionally, i copied to the same USB ALL Tyros styles (except audio styles that i could not copy).   

That way, the Genos succesfully and quickly found and played 95% of my registrations the first time without a problem.  For a smaller number i had to twik.  .. .

For a very few number that Genos did not find the preset style it made an intelligent choice.

My new Genos USB has the exact same file structure (ie. folders/files) that i had on T5.  Which in my case was very easy because on T5 i had it organized one folder each for Registrations, external, styles, external multipads, etc.

That way Genos found the correct path and played from the very first time without a problem.

Preparing in advance, Genos was up and running within a couple of hours (as oppossed to week(s)).

My main challenge was navigating the new Genos, finding things in a different place that they were before . . . . That took ME much longer than Genos playing my registrations.

However, for gigging it is strongly suggested to play your repertoire at home first to make sure you do not find any surprises and get used to the new keyboard.   This can be very quick because if you notice that the style is the same, no problem. Everything else should be the same, ie. tempo, volume, etc.    If the Genos style assigned by Genos is different then play a few measures and if you do not like it change selecting the old T5 style from the USB and save.

But you still have to make sure you play at home first because the Genos sound is not the same and you need to account for that.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:46 AM »
Many thanks, Al.

Sounds like I just need to import all my Registrations, T5 styles, and Custom styles to the Genos. Audition all Song Registrations and make minor adjustments.

I'll report back my decision. Thanks again, all!

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:17:45 AM »
Many thanks, Al.

Sounds like I just need to import all my Registrations, T5 styles, and Custom styles to the Genos. Audition all Song Registrations and make minor adjustments.

I will report back my decision. Thanks again, all!

I would not bother importing your T5 styles. Your registrations won't find them anyways (because the only way to put them on the Genos is as a user style, and your registrations are looking for presets). The Genos makes an intelligent choice when a registration asks for a preset.

I would just keep the styles on a USB stick, and retrieve them as needed when you find the choice the Genos made isn't to your liking.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:57:22 AM »
Thanks Fred! Never thought of that.

Bravo

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »
I have been blessed also and received my Genos March 1 in B.C.
I’m liking what I hear, it definitely takes the place of my motif xs
The keybed is a little shallow but smooth and responsive
Got to get my head around registrations instead of voices,combinations,programs!!!

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
Hi,

I must agree, there are no real problems and errors with the Genos. Of course, we always wish it had some more features. But this is another story. In any case, it is a big step forward from Tyros.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D