Author Topic: GENOS MPAD Creator Voice Select Problem -  (Read 3700 times)

HBRancher

GENOS MPAD Creator Voice Select Problem -
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
While recording a new MPAD, I want to change the voice prior to recording.  The manual says to  simply use the Voice Select for Part1 then select the voice you want and press EXIT to return to the Creator.  If I try to select an Electric Guitar voice, I only see two PRESETs when I enter the Voice Select screen.  I do not see the entire E. Guitar selections.  If I select a PIANO category… I only see one piano voice.  Drum kit voices are all seen in the list.  This did not occur on the TYROS 4.
Has anyone encountered this problem on a GENOS?

All suggestions are appreciated…
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:01:42 AM by HBRancher »

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: GENOS MPAD Creator Voice Select Problem -
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »
When you record a Multi Pad using the keyboard Multi Pad creator, you can only use certain voice types.

You can't use S.Art, SA2 or user Organ Flutes voices,  so the list of voices displayed to select from if you are within Multi Pad Creator will not include any voices of these types.

On Genos many of the 'panel' preset voices in some voice categories are now these 'forbidden' types and so will not be listed.  For example in the E. Guitar voice category only 'PedalSteel' and 'AlohaGuitar' are 'regular' voices, all the others are S.Art, and so will not be listed. 

However if you navigate to the 'Legacy' folder, you should find more to select from in each category.

Even if you select a voice for R1 before entering Multi Pad Creator, if it is one of the types that is not allowed, it will be replaced with a default voice, which is a piano voice on previous keyboard's including my Tyros4.

However there is a 'trick' which allows you to use any preset voice in a Multi Pad, and although I don't know if it applies to Genos, I suspect that it will work in just the same way.

On previous keyboard models, if you really want to use one of these 'forbidden' voice types, you can record the pattern using a voice that is allowed, then move to the edit page of the Multi Pad Creator, and find and change the 3 MIDI events that select the voice.  You can then enter the correct values for the 'MSB' and 'LSB' Bank Change controller events and the 'PG' program change event that specifies the voice that you want to use.  You can get these from the 'Voice List' in the downloadable 'Genos Data List' or from the voice selection screens on the keyboard if you have them set to show the voice numbers.

The MP will then play back using the voice that you want, although it may not sound exactly the same as if you play the same voice 'live' in a R or L voice part.

Regards

Ian

HBRancher

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Thank you much Ian,
You have described my problem exactly… And I did notice that
I had access to the Legacy voices.  I suspected that you could
modify the 3 MIDI events for the voice selection in step edit.
I will try this.  Does the MPAD voice always have to be a PRESET
voice, or can you modify MSB LSB PG to point a user defined
voice?
I will keep trying your suggestions...

Awsome response… Thanks again

Online Joe H

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
...  Does the MPAD voice always have to be a PRESET
voice, or can you modify MSB LSB PG to point a user defined
voice?...

No it does not, you can use expansion pack Voices, but User Voice will not work because there is no way for the keyboard to point to the User Voice Set file. The OS has to have an identifier for the Voice and a specific location in memory. User Voices do not contain an identifier and can be save anywhere on an external USB drive or the internal User memory.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html