Author Topic: No drum setting function  (Read 3428 times)

1-man-band-berlin

No drum setting function
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
In the Tyros 4 they introduced a function, where I can change the drumkit, exchanging congas by bongos or mix my own kit from different kits.
I found this function in PSR S 970, the only difference, the new kit will not be stored as custom voice kit, but in the style file.
Today I visited a Tyros 5 owner, tried to show him this function - and it doesn't exist. Introduced in Tyros 4, skipped in Tyros 5, continued in Genos.
Good to know, that Yamaha loves us, what would be, when they would begin to hate us.

Seagull29

Re: No drum setting function
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:36 AM »
Hi,
You can do it by using YEM but it's not really practical ! Yamaha !

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: No drum setting function
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:09:24 AM »
If you are referring to the 'Drum Setup' function in the 'Style Creator'of the PSR-S970, then I think that you are mistaken.  The 'Drum Setup' function was introduced on the 'PSR-Sn70' series which was released 2 years after Tyros5.   

I have a Tyros4 (with the latest firmware installed) and there is no 'Drum Setup' function of this type on the keyboard.  The 'Drum Setup' on 'the PSR-Sn70' and 'PSR-Sn75' models only allows you to save the edited setup with that style, and if you want to use the same 'edited kit' in any other styles you need to repeat the edits each time.

However you can make a 'custom drum voice' on a T4 using wave samples from the preset drum kits, and mix them with your own external samples if you want to once they have been imported onto the expansion memory card. 

Maybe this is what you are thinking of, but this is quite different from 'Drum Setup' on the latest keyboards'!  On a T4 'custom voices' are made from the 'Voice Creator' function on the keyboard, and results in new voices that can be selected to use with any style, unlike 'Drum setup'.

Although Genos and the PSR-Sn70/n75 series have 'Drum Setup' available, you can still make 'custom voices' for them and Tyros5,  but on these models 'custom voices' must be made on a computer using 'Yamaha Expansion Manager', which replaced (eventually!) the keyboard 'Voice Creator' found on Tyros4 and earlier models.

Regards

Ian