Author Topic: YEM work :)  (Read 5833 times)

Offline valimaties

YEM work :)
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
An assiduous work to make a custom voice...
This voice will be on 2 elements, one of them will be for Left part, one of them for Right part. The samples was recorded with two microphones in studio, in the left and in the right part of instrument :)

Each element has 3 layers, because the instrument was played on 3 velocities.

Some pictures with element for left part...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

Re: YEM work :)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:10:42 AM »
Hi Valie,

I see you use panning to left for this layer? So you create stereo by using mono samples with hard pan to left and right? So this will eat two voices of polyphony for each note. Using stereo samples instead, with panorama set to center only uses one voice per note.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:39:20 AM »
Hi Valie,

I see you use panning to left for this layer? So you create stereo by using mono samples with hard pan to left and right? So this will eat two voices of polyphony for each note. Using stereo samples instead, with panorama set to center only uses one voice per note.

Uli

Hi Uli.

As I said in previews post, the instrument was recorded in studio with two microphones one in left part of the instrument and the other in right part of the instrument. The sound from the right part is not the same as it is in left :)
Even if I hard pan the voice, I did it, but I have changed it some hours ago, when I started the second element, because not the wave file has to be hard pan, but element itself, from General tab... So I have reset all waves to center, but element I hard panned to Left and the other to Right. (different sound :) )

Best regards,
Vali

Edited:
PS: If I import combined to stereo samples in a single element (as you say) I don't have the liberty to play (alternate) with the volume of the waves on elements ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:46:50 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
To not waste time, I opened the file in the back (the file from Windows Users folder, which store those settings) and I have bulk-replaced tags for pan :) This bulk operation has also changed the Pan from General tab of the element, but this is easier to set again.
This wave-by-wave replacing PAN value, is an issue in YEM, as if I have selected all the waves inside square (CTRL   A), if I change the Pan from Wave side (right side) it changes only to highlighted wave from selected waves, but not for all selected waves...  :-\

I also don't understand why they use only graphical interface objects without adding textboxes near each object, to quickly insert values from the keyboard  ???

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
I also don't understand why they use only graphical interface objects without adding textboxes near each object, to quickly insert values from the keyboard  ???

Yeah, there are a lot of operations that get repetitive and tedious when creating a voice with a lot of waveforms. I think the YEM managers should ask each of the developers to build a two layer stereo piano voice with 20  waveforms per layer. They would learn a lot about their own tool.  ;)

Developers should "eat their own dog food" every so often. Or maybe carry the equivalent weight of the keyboard they are designing on the subway every day.  :)

-- pj
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:32:54 AM by pjd »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:25:05 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of operations that get repetitive and tedious when creating a voice with a lot of waveforms. I think the YEM managers should ask each of the developers to build a two layer stereo piano voice with 20  waveforms per layer. They would learn a lot about their own tool.  ;)

Developers should "eat their own dog food" every so often. Our maybe carry the equivalent weight of the keyboard they are designing on the subway every day.  :)

-- pj

Paul, you must have worked with or around Microsoft in the 1980's as I did. That's the origin of the "eat our own dog food"expression!

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Hi Stuart --

Software tool groups that don't use their own tools is one of my favorite old guy rants and raves. My spouse has heard so many of these, she can almost say, "Oh, that's number 37."  ;D

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »
Hi Stuart --

Software tool groups that don't use their own tools is one of my favorite old guy rants and raves. My spouse has heard so many of these, she can almost say, "Oh, that's number 37."  ;D

All the best -- pj

;D ;D ;D

Vali Maties - Genos