Author Topic: Genos can be so frustrating  (Read 24031 times)

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Genos can be so frustrating
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »
Yes That is correct. The keyboard will only bring up your settings when you engage one of the registration buttons the same as all other Tyros keyboards.

Dear Eileen,
thanks for going to the trouble of sending me your bank. Please accept my admiration for your dedication to us lesser musicians. And WHAT A BEAUTIFUL creation that bank is. I never use any effects, but even in that respect the bank was a revelation.

But it was not only beautiful, it helped solve the “Genos -bad-memory-mystery" at least to some degree. 
It is the old story about apples pears.
YES your beutifullly built bank that contains only one style with its variations and right hand voices worked perfectly.

I could  change  the speed, save that as a new reg file, and then call it up again everything OK. 

Then I proceeded to do what I always did on my Tyros 5  and what has caused problems with the 2 Genos I have here since weeks.

I put a different style under each button - please excuse the unprofessional expression.

I make every knob start with the intro of that exchanged style  to have an interlude as what I dislike most about today's music is that to me - the fossil - it is too monotonous. (It starts with Genos having a lot of  two bar  styles. My Lowrey MX 1 had 4 and even 8 bar styles  nearly 40 years ago)

As you know there are absolutely fantastic intros  on the Genos and some are 8 bars long.  Some of them have too many instruments, so I go to style creator and silence some voices putting for instance  the PANEL sliders to zero and save that "NEW" intro in the style.

In case there is a distortion guitar I try to find a less obnoxious voice and exchange that in the intro. Then  I save the doctored style by overwriting the old version. I control memorization by going to my style file folder, starting the style by its intro.

I like variations in volume both for the style and the melody under  many a knob and save that for each knob. In to-days discos they keep the volume constant at 95 dB so again I am doing something Genos was not designed to do.

From knob 5 on I usually save the transpose knob one half note higher as I dislike hearing a song in the same pitch for very long.  Louis Armstrong contrary to to-day's musicians used to do that very often. But of course heavy metal is a different kind of noise. 

g
Then I quite often change the speed, especial the speed under the last knob for the ending to go slow. 

I did all this “doctoring” to your bank  and played it. Everything was less beautiful - the experiment was not to compete with you -but as intended.
I saved it.

Guess what, already on the first reopening a lot of things were missing and worst of all the careful settings of volume balance between style and right hand was messed up.
Some kind person on this site wrote – I believe I did thank him but cannot find him right now -  he felt I might  be “overloading the buttons” 

Maybe that is the problem, it’s like with my old brain, I can remember simple things but when things get complicated I am in trouble.

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 06:16:34 AM »
Maybe that is the problem, it’s like with my old brain, I can remember simple things but when things get complicated I am in trouble.

It's a big club, Kaarlo. Don't feel bad :)!! At least we're not dealing with the lunacy of Microsoft! I make my living using their crap - believe me, Yamaha are experts in comparison! But I digress...what was the subject :)?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2018, 07:15:46 AM »
Kaarlo,

You should post your registration here, so we can take a look at it, and help you find out what’s wrong.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:02 PM »
I am sure you are not overloading registration buttons as mainly you are saving links to things such as voices and styles.
Do make sure that when saving your registrations you do not have your parameter lock on. Once you have completed your bank then put it on and it will make sure that if you load in a rouge registration it will not alter your settings.
As Fred says it would be best if you upload a registration that we can look at and try to see what is going wrong.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
I am sure you are not overloading registration buttons as mainly you are saving links to things such as voices and styles.
Do make sure that when saving your registrations you do not have your parameter lock on. Once you have completed your bank then put it on and it will make sure that if you load in a rouge registration it will not alter your settings.
As Fred says it would be best if you upload a registration that we can look at and try to see what is going wrong.

Thank Eileen and Fred,

you are always a great asset for those who have problems. As a fact I just 20  minutes ago tried to send photos, but after I had loaded the attachments - which did take some time as I failed to grasp that you cannot attach a folder and have to attach the files and then ran into the problem of putting in too much - but finally it seemed to work out. But then I got the message the attachment had not passed security, contact the administrator whom I finally found, so I sent a message. Hopefully I will get a reply. But anyway I will try now to send the photo of your working reg file and of what I get for mine. Will be interesting to see if it again bounces....... got the same message about security  :(

Thanks

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »

you are always a great asset for those who have problems. As a fact I just 20  minutes ago tried to send photos, but after I had loaded the attachments - which did take some time as I failed to grasp that you cannot attach a folder and have to attach the files and then ran into the problem of putting in too much - but finally it seemed to work out. But then I got the message the attachment had not passed security, contact the administrator whom I finally found, so I sent a message. Hopefully I will get a reply. But anyway I will try now to send the photo of your working reg file and of what I get for mine. Will be interesting to see if it again bounces....... got the same message about security  :(

Don’t send the photo. Send the registration.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
As Fred says photos are no use we need to hear the registration. Just attach it like I did.