Author Topic: Genos Vocal Processor ?  (Read 22128 times)

RaduRodideal

Genos Vocal Processor ?
« on: October 29, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
Hello guys!
When I have first heard my vocals on the Ge nos (mic directly to keyboard), I couldn't belive my ears. My vocals have never sounded so good, in tone, consistency, cutting through the mix, everything.
I have had the pa4x which I always hated how vocals sounded through and a cheap Behringher mixer which, belive it or not produced a lot better results than the pa4x.
Now...my question!
I have to start a piano-vocal gig, and can't bring my keyboard. Do you know the exact vocal processor in the Ge nos and how does it sound so good and supports your vocals so much? I thought Tc Helicon was top, but obviously I had it in the pa4x and was not happy with it. Could I buy the exact vocal processor in the Ge nos as a pedal like Tc Helicon voicelive?
Don't care much about harmonies, but tone and support?
Hope someone can help, or at least noticed the same, how easy it is to sing with the help of Ge nos conpared to other stuff.

All the best to you all!

Re: Genos Vocal Processor ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
I'm not an expert but I heard that Yamaha uses the same mic preamp in the Genos as they do in some of their higher quality mixers.

It's often the preamps that make the difference. The sound processor would be a separate device, and also accounts for why the SA2 and other voices sound so realistic. In comparison, the PA4X has a dated processor and mic preamp. Other opinions welcome :)!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:33:07 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
It uses the same vocal processor it uses in all the later PSR models, however, there have been some significant improvements in the software, particularly with the vocal harmony processing speeds.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the extra info, Gary :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:52 AM »
I have both keyboards, (Genos and PA4X)
 Although I prefer the PA4X vocal harmonizer, I prefer the definition and clarity of the Genos voice processor.
 I think that in addition to the Genos has better preamp, remember that its audio outputs are 32 bits.
 The PA4X has 24, lower quality.

Very important: the type of microphone you use with the harmonizers.
 There are some who still use a Shure SM58 (100 dlls) on a 4000 dlls keyboard and insist on having excellent results lol
Use a SUPERCARDIOD or hyper cardioid condenser microphone and you will see the difference.
 I used the Neumann KMS 105 for many years, and it gave me very good results, now I use the Earthworks SR40v and WOOOOOOOWW !!!
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:28:10 AM »
thanks for the info on mics. 

I am one of those currently using the Shure mic on Genos . . . . will consider the mics mentioned, although much more pricey . . .

thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:30:03 AM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »
Good point about the Shure mics. I use a Shure Beta 58, which is far better than their older regular 58. Even so, you need to place the thing close to your tonsils to get any sound out of it. I hate lending it to patrons who need to make a speech or announcement because they are always 6-10 inches away from the mic, making it nearly impossible for me to give them enough gain to be heard, before throwing the room into massive feedback.

The reason I bought it was, I never sing lead - only some basic harmony backups with or without the Genos Vocal Harmonizer. If you are the lead singer, ditch the Shure 58 and buy a real mic ;).

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
Short answer -- Vocal Harmony 2 is largely Yamaha proprietary software/hardware.

Now the deep track...

The S950 is stamped with US patent 5,567,901 "Method and apparatus for changing the timbre and/or pitch of audio signals" which suggests that Yamaha may have licensed some technology from IVL Audio Inc. IVL specialize in DSP algorithms including vocal harmony. Their first product was DigiTech Vocalist.

At one time, IVL mentioned their relationship with Yamaha, but now that info has been removed.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »
I hate lending it to patrons who need to make a speech or announcement because they are always 6-10 inches away from the mic, making it nearly impossible for me to give them enough gain to be heard, before throwing the room into massive feedback.

Lee
I do not like lending my mics to other people/ So,  I purchased a less expensive mic for that purpose . . .  that mic is good quality for that purpose . . . 

So, whenever, someone asks me to lend a mic in an event, that is the one i have for them.

Just an idea for you.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
Agreed, Al! I seldom let anyone else use my mic. Sometimes you get caught with a surprise request to make a "short announcement." One nice thing about the Beta 58 is you can unscrew the ball and wash it. It has an internal foam windscreen which is fairly effective. I let it dry overnight on the heat vent. I usually keep a spare  "junk" mic too ;).

Wil5560

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
So I wonder what microphone under let's say 250 Euro (or pound) is recommended to use with the Genos?
And is it possible to achieve the same result with the vocal processor from the Genos with its Vocal Harmony settings, as shown in this great video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7IWnSNpXdo

Any recommended settings within the VH to realize this?

regards, 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:38:14 PM »

Any recommended settings within the VH to realize this?

regards,

VH2 can be nicely adapted to vocals. Very similar to the video you will get if you use Preset VocoderSchlager.
Watch my video channel

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:36:41 PM »
hi
Next everyone will want a Dehumanizer!!! ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox