Author Topic: Issue with sustain & volume on EW400  (Read 9929 times)

Eddie Van Zeppelin

Issue with sustain & volume on EW400
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've encountered an issue with the Yamaha EW400 keyboard that I received a few weeks ago.  I am unsure if it’s an issue with this particular board or the line itself.  I didn’t notice it at first because for the first several days after I received it, I played it at low volumes, but the issue gets more and more pronounced as you turn the volume up, and even more so when the board is amplified.  I played the keyboard with another person on guitar, and we both noticed right away something wasn’t right.  I’ve been playing the Yamaha E363 and EW300 for some time now, and have never had this issue with either of those boards.  What is going on is, as you play, and then use a sustain pedal, the volume jumps much higher, and on some voices, it’s ear-piercing on higher octaves (even though it is much quieter without the sustain pedal depressed) or just much louder thuds that bleed together on lower octaves.  This is occurring on several voices on the keyboard (piano, synch, organ, etc.).  I’ve done several factory resets on it, and tested in many different configurations, but the issue persists.  The sustain issue seems to be directly proportional to the amount of volume.  I then switched the EW400 back to the older E363 and had no issues whatsoever (and also no issue with the EW300).  I tested a multitude of settings, as the EW400 has much more functionality than the E363 or EW300, but the issue persists to one degree or another in all configurations I can find under the conditions I indicated.  The issue occurs even if Fixed touch response setting is on, so that the volume of a key should be the same when pressing a key or chord no matter how much pressure is applied.  It works correctly on theE363 (or any other board I’ve played in the past), but on the EW400, even in Fixed touch response mode, the issue still occurs, again with the volume being proportional to the issue occurring.  I even tested it with three different sustain pedals on both keyboards, three different amplifiers (but the issue isn’t just through amps as it occurs through the on-board speakers), and the issue occurs only on the new EW400 with all sustain pedals or amps (and never occurs on the E363 or EW300), and whether through amplification or just the on-board speakers, and as I said, the higher the volume, the worse the problem seems to be.  It sounds like someone is literally turning the volume knob up and down as you play through a song, and when sustain is on, it sounds like someone just turned the volume way up (you can literally hear the volume go up to be much louder within playing a note or two after sustaining).  So when you play through a song with sustain occurring throughout, it sounds like someone is continually turning the volume knob up and down.  Again, not an issue we have ever experienced with the E363 or EW300, so as I said, this seems to be an issue either with the EW400 unit, or a product line issue.  Has anyone else noticed anything like this with the EW400, and are there any recommendations anyone has that I can try before I send this keyboard back (and possibly wait for the EW410 to be released to see if the issue is fixed on that one)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or feedback!

SeaGtGruff

Re: Issue with sustain & volume on EW400
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
I've just used a sustain pedal on my PSR-EW400 and didn't experience the behavior you described. In case it might make a difference, I should say that I was using a Yamaha FC4 sustain pedal and I had a pair of cheap Yamaha headphones (the ones that come in the Survival Kit) plugged in, since I didn't want to disturb anyone else in the house. There was absolutely no difference in the volume between playing with the pedal up or pressed down. I'll try it again later without the headphones, as well as with the cheap sustain foot switch that comes in the Survival Kit.

Eddie Van Zeppelin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Michael!  Yep, the sustain pedal was a thought I had initially, and have tried it with a Yamaha FC4A, a similar-style older pedal that I have with my 88-key Yamaha digital piano (can't find the model number of that pedal anywhere on it), and also the footswitch pedal that came with the Yamaha survival kit.  In all cases, the result was the same.... all other keyboards worked without the volume jumping up more loudly with any of the sustain pedals connected, except the EW400.  I may just have a bad board, but if you could test it out it would be great to see if you can duplicate the issue.  And I don't think I mentioned it, but I did try it with headphones too, and could also hear the volume increase a lot when sustaining through those as well.  Try a voice such as 80s Brass or HeavySyn, and turn the volume knob up to at least 75%, and then start tapping one of the higher octave keys with the sustain pedal depressed.  Each time I press the key, it seems like the volume just keeps building louder and louder (and doing the same thing with chords is even worse), and through headphones I can definitely hear this effect as well.  Through the on-board speakers, it continues to get so loud that it becomes ear-piercing, but then once I release the sustain pedal and tap a note or chord, the volume goes back down to the normal level.  Appreciate your help on this if you're able to test it out for me Michael!  Let me know what you find out, and I can determine then if I should return this board.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:18:26 AM by Eddie Van Zeppelin »

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:39:56 AM »
Sir are you sure you're facing an issue ? Because the onboard amp has a volume limit that cannot be crossed, and the steps you described, imply that you are cranking up the volumes too high, and sustaining the 80s Brass voice, which is a continued voice, it might sound harsh when the chords or notes get overlapped over one another, but it is nothing when compared to a Dual voice of Piano+Pad sustained, which sounds even worse and the notes and chords overlap each other, making it sound horrible. Well, my PSR-E453 does not have any such issue but if you really got such an issue, then you need to visit your store for replacement/warranty claim.

Eddie Van Zeppelin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:10:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply!   Yes, it occurs when the volume isn't even to the point where the on-board speakers should be the problem.  I have it loud but certainly within the parameters that the speakers should be able to handle.  It is fine at very low volumes, which is how I practiced on it at first in my apartment, but once I was at a point where I could turn it up in a band-type setting, the problem immediately became apparent.  It is not only the on-board speakers, it is occurring through headphones and amplifiers as well.  Through an amp, it occurs at much lower volumes and is very pronounced when sustain is applied and chords are played while sustaining.  And it's even occuring on just the basic, default Grand Piano voice too.  I have other keyboards that don't have this issue at all, but as soon as we started using the EW400, we knew something wasn't right.  We switched back to the E363 and played for hours in the same configurations/same voices, with no issues whatsoever.  So I'm guessing it is this particular board if no one else has experienced this.  I am likely going to return it via warranty and go on the waiting list for the EW410, because even though it may be just this particular EW400 that is the issue, I'd rather just take the chance on a newer model by waiting a few months.  Thanks again for the reply.......  Thoughts/suggestions?

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:31 AM »
Considering the features, the EW410 is a must wait, but pricewise EW400 is killing the sales right now, before it goes out of stock and production. If you are a hardcore pianist, then only the EW series lineup is meant for you, else the E463 is also a good portable and cheap instrument that does not bite a hole in the pocket, and its starting price is well justified. Although comparing as a regular keyboardist, I don't think EW410 makes much edge over E463, because the only differences visible, are the Live Grand Piano voice, different keybed and one extra octave. :-)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 04:08:05 AM »
I don't think EW410 makes much edge over E463, because the only differences visible, are the Live Grand Piano voice, different keybed and one extra octave.

... and better amplification for the onboard speakers, as well as better audio outputs. :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »
I just tried playing the 80sBrass voice using the FC4 pedal. I turned the volume up to roughly 75%. The tone was definitely a bit shrill in the highest octave (the one that only goes from C to G), but I didn't notice any increase in the volume as I struck the keys repeatedly, just the shrillness of the high frequencies in that particular octave, so I think that's just how the wave samples sound for those frequencies.

If you're noticing an actual increase in volume, and if the same voices and same keys (octaves) do not sound that way on the PSR-EW300, then I would say your PSR-EW400 is probably defective in some way. Your idea of returning it for a refund while it's still not too late sounds like the right thing to do.

Eddie Van Zeppelin

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:15:01 AM »
Thanks for testing this on your EW400, Michael!  Yes, I agree, it definitely sounds like I'm getting a different and unfavorable result with my EW400 versus yours, and I am going to go with the plan to return it to the online retailer where I purchased it.  At this point, since the EW410 is being released in May, I am just going to have them put me on the wait list for that newer model, and then purchase it once it is made available.  I'll just get by with my EW300 in the interim (the keybed on the EW400 is a lot better than the EW300 or E363 that I have, so I'll definitely look forward to getting the EW410 once it ships!

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 02:03:52 AM »
Sir I don't know about the consumer laws in your country, but it is always recommended to buy electronic machinery offline, so that the buyer can test it himself for satisfaction. It is always better to check out these thing at a local store, even if you live at a remote location. There is always a possibility of scam or cheating on online sale, as the ebay does in our country.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:05:24 AM by AnupamEnosh »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 03:37:32 AM »
Unfortunately, there isn't always a nearby musical instrument store that one can visit, unless one lives in the vicinity of a major city-- and even then, "nearby" might mean a 1-hour drive in heavy traffic. Also, musical instrument stores don't always have the keyboard one is looking for in stock-- and even if they do, they might not have a floor model that one can test. This situation is getting worse instead of better, so it's getting harder and harder to find a store where one can test a keyboard before deciding whether or not to buy it. Like it or not, online shopping is fast becoming the de facto method of buying a keyboard. :(

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »
But Sir Yamaha voids warranty in our country, if products are bought online. If the buyer is not interested in availing warranty benefits, or can bear the repair costs in such circumstances, then that's a different story.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 03:11:24 AM »
It isn't cleear whether the same thing is true in the US:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/warranty/index.html

It does say that "Yamaha provides warranty coverage for new Yamaha products originally sold by Yamaha Authorized Dealers located in the United States. Yamaha products purchased from retailers other than Yamaha Authorized Dealers (whether via the Internet, or otherwise) will NOT be covered by Yamaha’s warranties, and U.S. service centers will not repair such products under warranty." But it does not say that none of the dealers who sell Yamaha products via the Internet are Yamaha Authorized Dealers. For example, I purchased my PSR-EW400 online from Guitar Center, and I think Guitar Center is a Yamaha Authorized Dealer.

Eddie Van Zeppelin

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Hi All..... I did end up sending the EW400 back and got on the waiting list for the EW410.  (I noticed around the time I returned the EW400, it was no longer even available on a few of the large online retailer sites.)  It wasn't supposed to ship till May, but I just got an email from the online site that it has just shipped today, and should be delivered by middle of next week (estimated delivery date 4/17)!  So I'm definitely looking forward to getting it.  I really liked the EW400 and tried everything, but that volume/sustain issue just wouldn't go away, so their online support let me RMA it and get on the EW410 list.  Glad it's shipping earlier than expected, that was a nice email to receive just a few minutes ago.  I'll let everyone know how it goes once I receive it!

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
Wow, that's awesome! You realize we are going to be bombarding you with questions, right? :)

Eddie Van Zeppelin

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 01:45:01 AM »
That sounds good to me!  Will be happy to answer any questions about it that I can.  I've been perusing the owner's manual since it was posted a few weeks ago.         :)