Author Topic: Tyros 4 Music Finder  (Read 10015 times)

musicalmemoriesuk

Tyros 4 Music Finder
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:28:17 AM »
When using external styles with you music finder entries do they have to be located on the user drive ? Can they be in folders on the user drive ?

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Tyros 4 Music Finder
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:40:26 AM »
External styles can be on the keyboard's User drive, Hard Drive or even a USB device (but remember that the USB will need to be connected whenever you want to use that record in the MF!   In fact the User drive on a Tyros4 is so small (6 MB) that it is best to use the Hard Disk to store any such files and reserve the User drive for 'workspace' when modifying etc.

Because the MF record holds the full path to external styles,  they can be stored at the root level of the drive or in folders.

The simplest way to add such records to the MF is to load the style to the keyboard, then from the style selection screen page showing the highlighted style, use the 'ADD TO MF' button (upper #5 button).  This creates a new record and opens the MF Edit Record screen for you to modify if you want to.  This ensures that the path to the style is correct.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:45:03 AM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11:54 AM »
Since I am not a PC guy, nor much of a computer type.. the term "Root level... or folder" Intrigues me, and makes me wonder that I am missing something in my organization of folders. I do not know what root level implies when I am organizing folders and folders within folders and registrations.

I spoke to tech support once, and I forgot the reason the tech first suggested the utility of using Music Finder for organizational purposes, but for now forgotten reasons ( I should have noted our phone conversation, but did not ) he changed his mind about my using the Music Finder as an aid to organizing files.

If anyone is so inclined, what are limitations of MF for organization?
it seems very handy, but I dimly recall some limitations.
Thanks very much.

OT (I have had a 5 year love hate relationship with Tyros. and to be frank, the love part is finally eclipsing the "hate" part.)
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline jtrue

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:25:22 AM »
It don't mean a thing...

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:16:10 AM »
What does the Music Finder lack that the Registration does not?
I am hoping the Music Finder can be a handy place for audience requests that are not a part of a set list.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:09 AM »
The number of data/song features that can be stored in the music finder is limited to the song title, style file, tempo, variation, and intro.

A registration can store pretty much anything you wish, style, song title, variation, tempo, transposition, intro, special voices, vocal harmony type, pedal settings, split point, effects, and much, much more.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:30 AM »
Gary, are you still performing? I know you love your boat and a margarita at your side. ;)

Can you either direct me, or state it here.. you use 8 slots per song per bank, right?

How difficult is it to have hundreds of songs...( I know your motto is to move swiftly from song to song... no dead air ) and yet move quickly to next song?
I know this has been covered.. but I am asking anyhow!

Do you feel it unnecessary to use Music Finder for the oft times when a song comes up that is perhaps not part of your show.
Is there any reason NOT to fill up the Music Finder with those potentially requested songs?

Hope you are enjoying life , Mr Gary

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »
What does the Music Finder lack that the Registration does not?
I am hoping the Music Finder can be a handy place for audience requests that are not a part of a set list.

I name my registrations with the name of the song. The keyboard keeps them in alphabetical order. I can thereby find the registration for a song as quickly as I can with the Music Finder.

Another thing I've done is distribute the list of songs I can play with their appropriate number (from the List View). Then people just have to say "Play number 23 for me"). I type in 2 3 enter, and in less than 2 seconds, I'm playing their song.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
sugarplumsss,,

Unfortunately, my health precludes me from ever going on stage again, thus I have retired.

In my case, I used a single registration per song, 8 songs per bank, and I placed them in categories such as Country, Rock, Oldies, etc...

I used my music finder most of the time, which provided all I need to perform any song. I custom made my music finder directory, which consists of about 700 songs, all of which were popular for my audiences. Ironically, it seemed to fit audiences of any age, including spring breakers in the Florida Keys. The beauty of using the mfd and registrations combined was that I could easily search both of them for the next song while I was performing a song.

I kept my lyrics stored in my small, netbook PC that sits atop my custom console, while the mouse sat upon a small platform situated out of the audience's view on the right side of the the keyboard. Most of the time I had the lyrics in my head, so I rarely had to rely on the PC.

Now, this activity requires you to be able to look around a lot, look at the keyboard display, look at the buttons, but at the same time, maintain eye contact with the audience. I was primarily a singer, not a player, and I relied heavily on my vocals, not my right hand abilities. Yes, I can play the fill-ins, riffs, etc..., but my vocals were my strong point. Now, in order to do this multi tasking, I had to maintain proper position with the mic, which eliminated a hand held mic. Instead, I used a very high quality headset mic designed by Garth Brooks. One less worry while on stage.

Out keyboards are designed in such a way that we can multi-task while on stage, yet keep the attention of the audience by maintaining eye contact with them, which is a key ingredient to any successful performance. For a home player, none of this matters, though. A home player could spend an hour working on a single song, and only he or she would know the difference. In contrast, a live performer must be able to seamlessly transition from song to song with little or no dead time between songs.

This time of year, the boat sits on dry land, waiting for the arrival of spring, while the captain (me) sits in a recliner watching TV and sipping a tall glass of Jim Beam Honey Bourbon. Once a day, I climb aboard the stationary bicycle and get a bit of exercise, but I must be tethered to an oxygen line in order to do this.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
What an in depth response, thank you very much.
I too am having some health issues.
Your point on maintaining eye contact with audience and using a head set mic, is brilliant.
Oh, yes, and "dead air" is a no no, indeed!

Offline rcca

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 05:51:06 AM »
sugarplumsss,,

Unfortunately, my health precludes me from ever going on stage again, thus I have retired.

In my case, I used a single registration per song, 8 songs per bank, and I placed them in categories such as Country, Rock, Oldies, etc...

I used my music finder most of the time, which provided all I need to perform any song. I custom made my music finder directory, which consists of about 700 songs, all of which were popular for my audiences. Ironically, it seemed to fit audiences of any age, including spring breakers in the Florida Keys. The beauty of using the mfd and registrations combined was that I could easily search both of them for the next song while I was performing a song.

I kept my lyrics stored in my small, netbook PC that sits atop my custom console, while the mouse sat upon a small platform situated out of the audience's view on the right side of the the keyboard. Most of the time I had the lyrics in my head, so I rarely had to rely on the PC.

Now, this activity requires you to be able to look around a lot, look at the keyboard display, look at the buttons, but at the same time, maintain eye contact with the audience. I was primarily a singer, not a player, and I relied heavily on my vocals, not my right hand abilities. Yes, I can play the fill-ins, riffs, etc..., but my vocals were my strong point. Now, in order to do this multi tasking, I had to maintain proper position with the mic, which eliminated a hand held mic. Instead, I used a very high quality headset mic designed by Garth Brooks. One less worry while on stage.

Out keyboards are designed in such a way that we can multi-task while on stage, yet keep the attention of the audience by maintaining eye contact with them, which is a key ingredient to any successful performance. For a home player, none of this matters, though. A home player could spend an hour working on a single song, and only he or she would know the difference. In contrast, a live performer must be able to seamlessly transition from song to song with little or no dead time between songs.

This time of year, the boat sits on dry land, waiting for the arrival of spring, while the captain (me) sits in a recliner watching TV and sipping a tall glass of Jim Beam Honey Bourbon. Once a day, I climb aboard the stationary bicycle and get a bit of exercise, but I must be tethered to an oxygen line in order to do this.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

Seriously Gary! tethered to Oxygen? Boy I'm out of touch here, post here less, and reading here, we have been cruising a lot, enjoy retirement since 2013. Our boating days maybe over in a couple years, nieces grown up, with jobs, or moved out of Calif. which certain groups have ruined calif. but we will not get into that, time to get out of here in a few years too!
Wife came down with full blown asthma, from second hand smoking, I found on line for her to spray Hydrogen Peroxide in her mouth, no more expensive inhalers, she sprays the peroxide in 4 pump sprays in the morning, and before bed time. Her nail person starting doing it, she thanks the wife everytime she comes in to have her nails done, works for her too, she feels great, no short of breath, very little coughing.
Before wife started using the 3% peroxide, when she started coughing you would swear she was going to cough her insides out and that I would have to take her to emergency, so far at that time never came to that point.
Can search in YouTube-for inhaling hydrogen peroxide for asthma, Bill Munro, he died of only old age about 90 years of age, cured his asthma.
Our doctor, said, "what ever works do it, can't kill you". Wife has been doing peroxide for 5 years, did not cure her, but no coughing her lungs out spells.
We will not be held  responsibility if any one trys the inhaling Hydrogen Peroxide, I spent 2 weeks reading about wife to try it, told her about it, she was so glad.
Take care everyone many Birthdays have been kreeping up at all of  us, and with a lot of health issues.
Sorry for posting this in our forum, just thought I would share this information.
Cyber Power Intel Extreme, Military MB 4.0/4.5 CPU turbo, 12 GB Memory, GPU Gigabytes 1060 6GB Ram Desktop
Yamaha GENOS 76-Key Flagship Arranger, Technics KN6000

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
What does "external style" mean?

Are the styles I purchased from Yamaha Music Soft, under the umbrella of External Styles? I assume yes.

What other style would be external ?
A "non external style" would be, what, in ROM of Tyros, a preset style ?

Back to MF.. Can the MF "hold" a record of a Song File, such as from the Yamaha Music Soft?

MF can hold, or have among its records, any style, regardless of External or Internal status?

Offline rcca

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:00:28 AM »

Are the styles I purchased from Yamaha Music Soft, under the umbrella of External Styles? I assume yes.

What other style would be external ?
A "non external style" would be, what, in ROM of Tyros, a preset style ?

Back to MF.. Can the MF "hold" a record of a Song File, such as from the Yamaha Music Soft?

MF can hold, or have among its records, any style, regardless of External or Internal status?
To me, I would say yes to your question.
    rcca
Cyber Power Intel Extreme, Military MB 4.0/4.5 CPU turbo, 12 GB Memory, GPU Gigabytes 1060 6GB Ram Desktop
Yamaha GENOS 76-Key Flagship Arranger, Technics KN6000

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »

An external style is anything that's not a Preset. The more common term is User Style.

Yes, most Music Finders can reference a song file (on the Tyros line, this started with the T2).
Yes, most Music Finders can reference any style file (can be done on all Tyros models, not sure about which PSRs).

Of course, the easiest way to find out what your keyboard supports is to try it. It would certainly take you less time than creating a fancy forum post.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mgbchuck

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
I’m confused.  I thought I couldn’t save my songs to the music finder. I have all my songs on folders..... each song customized with style, tempo, and voices.  I was told that I couldn’t save these to the music finder.  Gary.... you said you have all your songs saved in the music finder.  Not sure if I am understanding everything correctly.

Thanks...... Chuck Lyons

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
I’m confused.  I thought I couldn’t save my songs to the music finder. I have all my songs on folders..... each song customized with style, tempo, and voices.  I was told that I couldn’t save these to the music finder.  Gary.... you said you have all your songs saved in the music finder.  Not sure if I am understanding everything correctly.

Thanks...... Chuck Lyons

Chuck,

Remember a "song" to Yamaha is a midi file, whereas a "song" to you is a style, tempo, voices, etc.

The fact that Gary has all (in fact it's most) songs in his Music Finder is his method. You can do the same, or you can do things differently. Personally, I have all my songs in registrations. That's my method.

So:
1. A music finder entry can reference a midi file.
2. A music finder entry can reference a style, and set the tempo. The way you have it select the voices you want is through the OTS of the style.

Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mgbchuck

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »
Howdy Fred........... thanks for the info.  I also have a couple hundred registrations that I have created.... in folders alphabetically. So.... can my registrations that I have made be saved in the Music Finder?  I was told before.... that these couldn't be saved.  It would be so good to be able to go up to the music finder.... and find the specific registration.  Right now.... I have to go to my folders.... but I might have 4-5 folders just for songs beginning with the letter "S".  So.... I have to go through all these folders.... just to find the song.  Most of the time.... I have my set lists finished... and set up in a program called "Tyros Registrations". This way I go from one song to the next with no delay.  However.... sometimes someone will request a song that is not in the set list.... and we want to play it for them.... but it takes some searching for it.
Anyway........... Thanks for you help....

Chuck Lyons

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 01:09:05 AM »
Hi Chuck,

You say that you have a couple of hundred registrations for songs, but you have four or five folders for songs beginning with the letter 'S'.

A folder on the Tyros4 can fold up to 500 items, which will be displayed on the selection screen in alphabetical order.

Are you saying that you have 2000-2500 registrations just for songs beginning with 'S'?

When you say 'registrations' do you actually mean individual registrations or registration banks?

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:10:20 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
Howdy Fred........... thanks for the info.  I also have a couple hundred registrations that I have created.... in folders alphabetically. So.... can my registrations that I have made be saved in the Music Finder?  I was told before.... that these couldn't be saved.  It would be so good to be able to go up to the music finder.... and find the specific registration.  Right now.... I have to go to my folders.... but I might have 4-5 folders just for songs beginning with the letter "S".  So.... I have to go through all these folders.... just to find the song.  Most of the time.... I have my set lists finished... and set up in a program called "Tyros Registrations". This way I go from one song to the next with no delay.  However.... sometimes someone will request a song that is not in the set list.... and we want to play it for them.... but it takes some searching for it.
Anyway........... Thanks for you help....

Check,

As I said:
1. Songs (midi files) can be saved to the Music Finder
2. Styles can be saved to the Music Finder.

I did not say registrations can be saved to the Music Finder, because they can't.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mgbchuck

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
Thanks Fred....appreciate it.
Yes..... that is what I have......registrations.  Boy....would that be nice if they figured out how to put registrations in the music finder.  As to my file system...... I have a S1 folder.... that holds 8 registrations for 8 individual numbers I perform. The S2 folder holds 8 more Registrations for 8 more songs we perform.  I have 4 S folders...... that would be 32 songs that begin with the letter “S”.  I have to keep a separate card in front of me to let find the song. (Registration) for  “Somewhere”..... it could be in one of 4 folders. Sure not the fastest way.

Thanks for all your advice...... Chuck

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Thanks Fred....appreciate it.
Yes..... that is what I have......registrations.  Boy....would that be nice if they figured out how to put registrations in the music finder.  As to my file system...... I have a S1 folder.... that holds 8 registrations for 8 individual numbers I perform. The S2 folder holds 8 more Registrations for 8 more songs we perform.  I have 4 S folders...... that would be 32 songs that begin with the letter “S”.  I have to keep a separate card in front of me to let find the song. (Registration) for  “Somewhere”..... it could be in one of 4 folders. Sure not the fastest way.

Sounds like you're in the market for a Genos. That's one of its big features.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ