Author Topic: Genos master compressor performs parallel compression  (Read 7977 times)

Offline pjd

Genos master compressor performs parallel compression
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »
Hi --

I did a little "effect sleuthing" and determined that the Genos master compressor is the same algorithm as the Yamaha Montage parallel compressor, PARALLEL COMP. This effect is part of the Montage v1.5 update. The same update added the universal compressor down (UNI COMP DOWN) and universal compressor up (UNI COMP UP) algorithms. All three algorithms can be used as a Montage master effect. On Genos, the parallel compressor is a master effect; the universal compressors can be used only as insertion or variation effects.

How did I run this down? I compared the parameter definitions for the Montage PARALLEL COMP effect algorithm against the parameters of the Genos master compressor. They match exactly. Yamaha often share effect algorithms across their top-of-the-line equipment.The Montage parameters are:

Type: Natural, Rich, Punchy, Electronic, Loud
    Compression: 0 to 100
    Texture: 0 to 100
    Output level: -18dB to +18dB (0 to 120)
    Input level: -18dB to +18dB (0 to 120) 

The parameters for the universal compressor algorithms match up, too. However, the Genos user interface (UI) does not allow access to the 17th parameter, Side Chain Input Level. Yamaha need to remove the 16 effect parameter restriction imposed by Genos. (This restriction prevents access to the rotor ramp parameters in the new rotary speaker algorithm, too.)

Frankly, I don't know as much about audio compression as I should. Fortunately, Sound On Sound Magazine has an excellent article about parallel compression. The article has terrific background information about all forms of compression including DOWN and UP compression. DOWN compression is the conventional form that we are most familiar with.

Parallel compression puts a very high ratio (limiting) DOWN compression block in parallel with the original audio signal, i.e., it mixes the original signal and the compressed signal.

----------------------
               |                      |
     Input ----|                      + ----> Output
               |                      |
                ----> Compressor ---->

Massive gain reduction is applied to the loudest passages. According to SOS, "This means that at those points, its involvement in the mixed output signal is virtually insignificant; the output signal is completely dominated by the original input signal coming via the direct path. As a result, those loud but delicate transients are left completely intact and unchanged -- which is the primary aim of this technique."

No gain reduction is applied to quiet signals below the threshold. Thus, the parallel paths, direct and compressor, pass the same signal. When the two signals are summed (mixed), the quiet passage is +6dB louder. Again, quoting SOS, "this simple form of parallel compression leaves the loud bits unaffected and raises the quiet bits by 6dB, the total reduction in dynamic range is only 6dB."

I hope this information helps. I recommend reading the SOS article; it has several graphs and goes deeper into this studio technique.

-- pj

Suggestions and questions to Yamaha

The Genos manual should at least mention that the Genos master compressor performs parallel compression. A short explanation would help people apply and tweak the master compressor.

The Genos universal compressor algorithms support side-chain. How can we use side-chaining? How do we get a signal into the side-chain input?

Yamaha engineers are building effect algorithms with more than 16 effect parameters. The Genos user interface needs to provide access to more than 16 effect parameters and to store them.

The foot pedal, sliders and knobs should be able to control an effect parameters, not just the WAH effect algorithm.

The following users thanked this post: terryB, maartenb, StuartR, Dromeus

Offline soryt

Re: Genos master compressor performs parallel compression
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:15:16 AM »
And the other compressors ( in Category EQ & Comp) on board , i tried different settings in most and vcm compressors without audible difference , only volume change ?
The only who responds is the Compressor Melody ?

Soryt :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline maartenb

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
Awesome detective work, Paul! Thanks for the explanation and link to the Sound on Sound article!

I completely agree with your suggestions and questions to Yamaha.

Maarten

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
Nice job pj

Tx
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
Pj,

thank you very much. I love your technical precise writings.  8)

Yes, it seems fact, that Yamaha tends to leave out details and concentrates on easy usage for performing musicians instead of describing details and opening possibilities for technically skilled people. This is a big contrast to the Korg philosophy, where each DSP program is described in detail and many parameters are open to use.

I like to compare this as Yamaha-to-Korg is as Mac-to-Windows or iOS-to-Android. Everything works well and comfortable, and you don't have to (actually you cannot) bother for details.

Uli
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:35:21 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your post on parallel compression. It made me wonder if the Texture control on Genos alters the number (or the blend) of compressors used to achieve the final "parallel" effect?
Having said that I have yet to detect any compression differences in the various settings I have tried so far :).
A project for a rainy day perhaps.
John

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:25 AM »
It made me wonder if the Texture control on Genos alters the number (or the blend) of compressors used to achieve the final "parallel" effect?

Hi John --

Good question. It's probably messing with release and all the rest of those fun parameters, too.

The whole thing got me thinking about compressors, parameters and source material. The compressor settings need to be specific to the program material and the mixing/mastering goals. I may be wrong, but it seems like the parallel compressor acts like a limiter for loud passages above threshold and pulls up the quieter passages below threshold. As the final stage in the Genos signal chain, it probably makes sense to make the effect subtle -- the final touch on a nearly finished mix. The old RD-300gx digital piano had a compressor effect somethings like this.

That said, Yamaha have made widespread use of the UNICOMP DOWN compressor as an insert effect in contemporary music styles. I saw quite a few UNICOMPs in the soul/funk styles.

Hey, hey, take care -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:28:26 AM »
Hi folks --

Thanks, I'm glad that the information is helping you out.

Here's a couple of observations while poking around today.

The Genos implements the universal down compression algorithm, but not the universal up compressor. Montage implements both down and up. Genos 2? ;)

You can sometimes find helpful information in Yamaha's mixer and effect processor documentation. Steinberg have been porting Yamaha's VCM effects to Cubase, so that is another source of information about effects.

The Genos VCM compressor looks to be an emulation of the Classic FET-based, UREI 1176 studio compressor.

My access to the Web is going to be sketchy for a few days, so I apologize in advance for any delay in replying.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »
The Genos universal compressor algorithms support side-chain. How can we use side-chaining? How do we get a signal into the side-chain input?

Folks, nearly a year has passed since pj put these very valid questions. I guess there are still no answers. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect Yamaha to explain algorithms, that are modeled according to well known real effect gear. We know about threshold, ratio, attack and release parameters. But what the heck does a compressor, that features four "side-chain" parameters, but fails to route any signal into a side-chain input, that is expected to exist???
Regards, Michael

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 11:58:42 PM »
... The Genos universal compressor algorithms support side-chain. How can we use side-chaining? How do we get a signal into the side-chain input?...

The foot pedal, sliders and knobs should be able to control an effect parameters, not just the WAH effect algorithm.

1. Side-chain effect has been implemented up until now using cc11 Expression programmed into a style Part, (and not available for R1, R2 or R3, like the controller arps on Motif/Montage synths) Question: Is it available as an Insert DPS effect on the Genos? Adding controller arps would be a reasonable way to go for the right-hand Voices but wouldn't work for style Parts.

2. The foot pedal should be assignable for ANY of the Live Control functions... it would be extremely useful to implement real-time Live Control parameters via a FC7 pedal (and set minimum/maximum values for each); freeing-up your hands to play chords and a melody.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 12:07:31 AM »
Paul,  Great job you really do have some technical expertise.  Too bad our paths never crossed at Frankieve’s store.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the valuable info, Paul!

I've been manually adjusting all my registrations by applying compressors to the bass and drum parts. I don't need to play with the other instruments part too much because I always have a live guitarist. A lot of the other instruments just aren't needed either for the work I do.

I find the Genos right out of the box is not well suited for live performance where there is a lot of ambient background noise. For an effective performance, I have to increase the overall volume of the Genos, which just puts you into competition with the audience. They eventually lose and get mad at your performance levels. If the performance is for an attentive audience where there is no background noise (people listening to you in a concert setting), the Genos is pretty good right out of the box, except for the drums.

I'd like to add some further practical info to your very good post, Paul. I was going to start a separate thread but this probably suits. For my registrations in live settings where there is usually a fair amount of ambient noise, I use the MegaVoice VintageFlat bass guitar, unless one of the SA basses has already been used. I seldom use the MegaVoice AcousticBass. The compressor I apply is always the EQ & Comp, Compressor Bass. I use the same compressor on the drums, despite the name of the compressor. I played New Year’s day for about 100 people and the sound was great.

One other thing you need to know. I play my Genos through two Bose Compacts, which are very strong down to about 65Hz. To pick up the extra load down to 40Hz (the lowest note on a bass guitar), I use my home-made sub. I set its high and low pass filters to 40Hz and 80Hz respectively.

Once again, thanks for the info, Paul!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:55:37 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 12:07:17 AM »
Thanks, Lee, Stephen and everyone else for the kind words.

Lee's explorations and remarks are important and useful. Parallel compression is for evening out an entire mix. What Lee is doing -- putting compression on an individual instrument -- is what most people are looking for when it comes to kicks and basses. That kind of "pumping" is outside the functional scope of parallel compression and it's why some folks may be disappointed in the Genos master compressor. BTW, I believe that Yamaha used a different master compression scheme in previous gen products.

On to Joe's comment, the engineers added the UNI COMP compression algorithm from Montage. However, they left out two important functions: specification of the side-chain input source (usually another part) and the side-chain input level. Thus, the side-chain aspect of UNI COMP is unusable on Genos. This is another effect issue which Yamaha need to fix. The side-chain input level is algorithm parameter 17 -- and Genos allows only 16 DSP effect parameters.

Hope this helps -- pj

Check out this link to see what Montage does: https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-category/side-chain-modulation
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:09:19 AM by pjd »

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
A further thanks, Paul. I have spent hours adjusting all my registrations, thanks mostly to the fact that Yamaha provides no software to do this in USB mode. It would be SO much quicker if we could do it externally instead of drilling through dozens of menus and pages on the Genos - and with lists that are in alphabetical order >:( .

I edit websites as part of my profession. The two golden rules are: don't make users venture through dozens of pages unnecessarily and try to avoid vertical scrolling at all costs. The sum of these two golden rules is, "Information is basically useless if it's difficult to find or use." The navigation scheme on the Genos is perfect for shows. When you're at home and need to do mass processing, it takes hours.

Sounds like Yamaha wants to keep the Genos a few steps behind the Montage. If they open up all these nice Compressor parameters, they in essence, now have two synthesizers for sale in their product line. Just like the registration editing issue, they still favor the very basic home player. The advanced features are useful but just a tease compared to what they could be.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.