Author Topic: Crashing / Freezing Up  (Read 10269 times)

Tankdave

Crashing / Freezing Up
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
I've seen others mentioning they have had this issue, I had another one this morning, thats about 3 so far for me. Each time I needed a complete power off / power on to get going again.

I'm wondering if Yamaha know about this and how can we be sure? They don't know about my one this morning so what is the best way to inform them?

Not sure they will be able to anything about it though unless the software can be de-bugged and for that they would need a dump of the software from the time it crashed surely?

Offline StuartR

Re: Crashing / Freezing Up
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »
I've seen others mentioning they have had this issue, I had another one this morning, thats about 3 so far for me. Each time I needed a complete power off / power on to get going again.

I'm wondering if Yamaha know about this and how can we be sure? They don't know about my one this morning so what is the best way to inform them?

Not sure they will be able to anything about it though unless the software can be de-bugged and for that they would need a dump of the software from the time it crashed surely?

Could you provide some details about what the keyboard was doing at the time of the hang or crash (and tell us which it was, a hang or crash)? Any repeatable events?

Tankdave

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »
Today I was playing a style at the time and I'm sure it was a pedal "glide" operation that locked up the whole KB. I also remember a pedal press causing one of previous freezeups too.

Audio output stopped, buttons stayed lit but all buttons unresponsive, except power off.

I was "random" playing and it did not repeat its "crash"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:33:13 PM by Tankdave »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline soryt

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »
Yamaha knows , They wil "fix" it with the next update they mailed me  ( Yamaha EU) ( and more issues)

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline StuartR

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:46 AM »
Yamaha knows , They wil "fix" it with the next update they mailed me  ( Yamaha EU) ( and more issues)

Wait...did I just hear you correctly? Did you just say (write) that Yamaha actually sent you a fix (or an early copy of next week's firmware update) or that they just emailed you that it would be fixed inn the upcoming update?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:33:52 AM by StuartR »

Offline soryt

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 03:01:16 AM »
No i wish , that is my bad english  :o

We must wait. .. .

Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »
Good to hear the problem is being fixed. Have had that rather often while playing.  One thing is good remembering, when you are doing some settings that need a saving everything will freeze until you realize, you have not saved and do that.

Kaarlo

Tankdave

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:48 AM »
Think I have discovered what one of the reasons for the freezing is?  it's not actually a freeze, it's a complete loss of sound.

Pedal 3 is changing from a "sustain" pedal to "volume", and it just sits there like an accident waiting to happen until I stick my foot on it and beacause its not a full volume pedal and only a switch, the Genos kills the sound. "dont forget I'm pressing it expecting the sustain to to turn on"

So why is my Genos changing my pedal settings, I set  Glide Down / Glide Up / Sustain and something happens and they all change. Once changed it only seems to go back to my settings if I go into the menu and do it manually. Even a power-cycle will not put it back to my chosen settings.

This thing is so complicated and can be rather annoying, "I still love it though"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:52:25 AM by Tankdave »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
If you are using registrations you may have inadvertently saved the "wrong" pedal settings into one of them so whenever you select it that could be a reason.  Suggest you set your pedals as you want then go through pushing any suspect registration buttons and see if one or more of them results in the rogue settings.

John

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
Are you making sure you have Pedals ticked in Memory before saving them to a registration.

Tankdave

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
Yes, and it still does not recall the correct pedal assignment, it stays on the setting that the "suspect" rogue registration is probably causing.

Surely "my" saved registration should bring my pedal settings back, it is ticked?

Thanks for the suggestions

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »
Yes but it may not have been ticked when the rouge registration was saved.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
Genos is the first Yamaha arranger model to save the  functions (and details) assigned to pedals in it's System Setup flash memory, so once set, they should be maintained and restored even through a power off/on cycle.

However the settings can also be memorised in a Registration if the 'Pedal' group in the 'Registration Memory' display was checked when the registration was memorised.

If you activate a registration that has pedal settings memorised within it, this can change the settings in the System Setup.   You can prevent this if the 'Foot Pedals' group in the [MENU] > [Regist Freeze] display is checked and the Freeze button is on.

However although you say that you have memorised a registration containing your preferred pedal settings, but this is not working, as EileenL says, are you certain that the 'Pedal' group was checked when you memorised it?   

If you load a bank and then open the 'Registration Memory' display, the groups that are shown only reflect what was checked when you last closed that display.  Sadly they do not actually indicate which groups were checked when that registration was memorised!  Unless you know that you never change which groups are checked, the display may well not be relevant to the currently loaded registration!

I suggest that you use Murray Best's 'Registration manager' program for PC to look inside your setup registration to see what is actually memorised within it.  You can download it from the page at this link...

https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

This should confirm what is in the registrations, including the function assigned to pedals if any!

If you always intend to use the same functions for your pedals, you don't really need to memorise them in registrations.  The program will allow you to remove any pedal assignments in them if you want to be certain that they won't cause problems in future.

For many items saved in the System Setup, you can use the 'Parameter Lock' function to prevent them from being changed by registrations even if Freeze is not on. Unfortunately however there doesn't seem to be a group for pedals in the list of groups that can be locked!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
Hi Ian,

I think that version doesan't supports Genos since it is still saying V5.0. The latest version (V5.1) however does support Genos fully.
It can also make use of the two extra banks.

Quote from Murray's post:
What’s New in Version 5.1:
•   Genos, CVP 309, CVP 705 and CVP 709 Keyboards added to the targets
•   Tyros 5-76 added as separate target
•   Lower split point added for keyboards of more than 61 keys
•   Harmony values added to OTS Select
•   French language option (based on Google translate)
•   Added, remove path from custom file names
•   Correction of some version 5 errors and improved layout in some screens

Murray posted links to his latest version here:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42923.msg338909.html#msg338909

kind regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:58:31 PM by XeeniX »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:56 AM »
Hi Peter,

You are correct.  The download available at Murray's page on the PSR Tutorial Home page is still version 5 which doesn't support Genos.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Hopefully Tankdave will see your correction and download the latest version from the post in the link that you provided.

Regards

Ian

Tankdave

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:08:33 AM »
Thanks all the ideas and links etc.

Can I ask a sily question, do I need to "physically" connect the Genos to the PC with this YRM 5.1 program on?

I assume the program looks at the data in the actual Genos?

Regards

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:21:33 AM »
Nope, just install it on your pc and copy the rgt's you want to work on to a USB disk and take that usb disk to the pc. Connecting your keyboard to your pc is optional and has a few advantages (midi sampling of the styles and voices)

regards,
Peter

Tankdave

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
My Rogue registration/s will be somewhere on one that came with a pack of some kind, does this "Copy to USB" still apply?
If so, I have to select the regstration then save it again to USB, for each an every suspect Registration?

Shame you cant just check on the Genos?

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:00:45 AM »
In order for you to check your registration with YRM 5.1 it needs to be on a usb stick that is connected to your PC. You don't need to select and save each and every registration to your usb stick. If you know they are all in one of the expansion packs just press the registration button on the Genos as if you want to select a registration. In teh screen where you normally browse to your registration just browse to main fp;der where you can see the Expansion folder holding all your expansion packs but do not enter that folder. Simply press COPY and select the expansion folder and click OK. Now browse to your usb stick and click paste. The expansion folder will be copied to your usb stick and in it you will find the pack folders. They will only hold registration since you went via teh registration buttons. Voices, styles et cetera will not be copied. In facty you could also select ALL folders on your user memory and do the same. The entire user area including all folders that hold registrations will than be copied to your usb just holding registrations. It works that way on the Tyros 5 so it will probably work in more or less the same way on your Genos I guess. And if not ask a Genos owner to chip in :)

regards,
Peter

Tankdave

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:19:42 AM »
Thanks for all this advice guys.

I have tracked down a few Registrations that change the pedal assignments.

When looked at them in YRM it clearly shows the pedal set up and how it differs from my default setup.

So again I have saved my own 5 Registratons and re-saved them with my chosen pedal setup, I have the pedal option ticked as seen when the memory button is pressed.

I now choose a registration that sets the pedals to "wrong" settings, I then choose one my own again and pedals are not changing back to the way I want them.

So I have deduced that it is a registration that changes the pedals, but dont explain why my own reg dont do the same.

Also why cant the Genos just have a "Leave the pedals as set" option in the assignable menu.

I'm still not sure if its me or the Genos :(

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
If you really want to "leave the pedals as set" then you might think parameter lock would be the convenient option, except that Yamaha does not see fit to provide a pedal option. Otherwise, unless you are happy to have the freeze button permanently on- with just pedal ticked in the freeze setup - make sure none of your registrations are saved with pedal ticked, or if they already are resave them with pedal unticked.
John

Offline StuartR

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 06:10:19 AM »
If you really want to "leave the pedals as set" then you might think parameter lock would be the convenient option, except that Yamaha does not see fit to provide a pedal option. Otherwise, unless you are happy to have the freeze button permanently on- with just pedal ticked in the freeze setup - make sure none of your registrations are saved with pedal ticked, or if they already are resave them with pedal unticked.
John

Happened to me and I had to go through this exercise of resaving all my registrations without pedal! It was a valuable, if painful exercise!

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »
Why not post a registration bank that you say changes the pedal assignments to the 'wrong' settings, and another one which you think should reset them to your preferences.

We can take a look at them to see if we can identify what is going on.

Regards

Ian

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »
Withouth trying to criticize:  You can "batch fix" all pedal settings in all your registrations in YRM in one go.
A posting of one of the "suspect regisrations" as you call them and as Ian suggested could shortcut your problem. People knowing their way around registrations will probably be able to pinpoint the problem for you that way.

kind regards,
Peter

Tankdave

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:44 AM »
Thanks for all the help and no criticism noted.

I do now believe I have the all info required and sussed to get my pesky pedal issue resolved, thanks so much for all this information and for your patience with me, I am so much "in the deep end" here.

I did try the freeze-button trick with just the pedals ticked and it worked a treat, it will do as great "workaround" for now.
When I get time from work & all the housework chores, I will get into this YRM some more and try to get the process of pulling data from the Genos, modifying it, then putting the corrected data back sussed too.

Love my Genos, Love this Forum