Author Topic: Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter - is it good ?  (Read 16943 times)

Offline Al Ram

Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter - is it good ?
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
Hello Friends.
I use an iPad to connect with Genos.  Using the app SongBook+ to display PDF's and recall Genos registrations using the 'link' feature of SongBook+.     I am currently connecting using the USB-to-host cable and apple USB-3 camera adapter that allows the connection and at the same time allows to charge the iPad.   

The apple camera adapter is no longer working.!!!  It seems like it has been burnt or something but it is no longer transmitting the signal to/from iPad/Genos.   I am currently using my other spare/backup camera adapter that is working fine. 

So, rather than buying another backup camera adapter I am planning on replacing the cable connection with bluetooth wireless and considering the Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter. 

I would only use it for the iPad/Songbook+ to recall Genos registrations.   i do not use midi files.  So, as long as the PDF's are displayed on the iPad and the Genos registrations recalled with reasonable speed i do not care too much for latency.

If you are using the Yamaha MD-BT01 adapter this way, i will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline voodoo

Re: Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter - is it good ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
Hi Al,

I own the BT-MD01, and I think it should work fine. I have not tested it with Songbook+, but I can do.

Why don't you use WiFi for that case? In connection with the app "Midi Network" or "NetMIDI" to connect Genos to iPad, that seems to work fine for me.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »
Yes, it works great with SongBook. I like it better than using WiFi because WiFi isn’t available in every location. The adaptor is.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:01:30 AM »
Fred,
thanks for the note.  I will proceed to order it.

Uli
thanks for your comment.   I do not want to rely on wifi because like Fred pointed out, it is not always available everywhere.

Thanks again. Have a great day.   
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
Hi together,

thank you for this discussion.

I tried again to use bt-md01 and it works fine with Songbook++. But you have to use it on midi port A. It does not work fully on port B. I had problems getting it to work because I had it on port B. On port A it works perfectly.

Back to WiFi. You can use WiFi everywhere when you switch Genos to access point mode. Then you can use a WiFi connection everywhere. Hoewever, be aware that Genos has different IP addresses in infrastructure and access point mode. And if iPad is connected to Genos access point, it has no internet connection, even if it has cellular mode. So it should work fine. But Bluetooth seems to be the more comfortable way.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 03:49:49 AM »
Uli

thanks for the tip. I will remember to connect the bt-md01 into midi port A. 

Yes, the wifi with access point seems like a good way to do it.   I was going to buy a camera adapter, usb cable, etc.   Instead, i already ordered the bluetooth midi adapter.  The difference is just a few more bucks, not that much. 

I am suppossed to get it next week.   Hopefully, i should be able to connect it without any problems.  Otherwise, i will bother you guys again.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:05:43 AM »
Hi - in case you want to know about an alternative, I have 2 of these and they have worked flawlessly (for me, it's Tyros 5 and Genos, and with iPad with unrealBook app):

What I like about this model is that it's so small that I leave it permanently attached to the keyboard, and it doesn't get in the
way when I put the case into a case etc.

mi.1 connect wireless bluetooth MIDI device.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-MIDI-Interface-mi-1-Rev-3/dp/B01D61QK6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522090876&sr=8-1&keywords=quicco

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:07 AM »
Jim

that seems like a great option.  The footprint seems to be smaller than the Yamaha one.

I already purchased the Yamaha unit, it is working great.    The one you have seems to be a great option too, specially for putting the keyboard in a case . . . .

I wonder if it will work the same with SongBook+, i guess it should once the bluetooth communication between keyboard with iPad is established.

i might get me one.    thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi guys.
Why don't you use a wireless router only to create your personaly lan network between Genos and iPad and other devices you have?
I use this type of connection whithout problems.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »
 Hi…  I actually do both at the same time. I have a little router, that I set to “access point“ mode, and I use it to connect multiple iPads on the LAN together at gigs. I use unrealbook app,  with my iPad acting as master. Whenever I change to a different song on the iPad, everybody in the band who has an iPad, their iPad changes to that same song.

Separately, at the same time, I use the wireless Midi  Device I mentioned, so that the unrealBook iPad app can send midi commands to the Tyros or Genos,  for recall of registrations.   This way, when I call up a song on my iPad, everybody else’s iPads change automatically, and the keyboard is ready with the registration for that song. Makes life a lot easier and gigs! Especially when taking requests…

I have used both of these together for many dozens of gigs, without any problems.
Jim

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »
The wireless router and personal LAN is a great idea. !!!

The main reason i decided to get the wireless midi connector is because it is very small, it can remain connected to the back of the keyboard.  If i go to places where wifi is not available to me i can still rely on the midi connector.   No additional stuff to carry.

I was using a physical cable to connect the keyboard to the iPad.  I am happier with the midi connector, because as explained, it remains connected to the back of the keyboard.  One less cable to worry about for gigs. 

Plus I already have the midi connector.   

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »
Yes, I like the mi.1 connect MIDI device mainly due to its rock-solid reliability, and its tiny size!  I think one needs MIDI (not LAN) to do things like sending MIDI commands to keyboard to recall Registrations - don't know if that could be done with LAN only?

(I use LAN/router only for iPads to communicate with each other for unrealBook music-display app, and use MIDI for dealing with MIDI commands from iPad to Genos) ...

Jim

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 07:09:24 AM »
Hi together,

thank you for this discussion.

I tried again to use bt-md01 and it works fine with Songbook++. But you have to use it on midi port A. It does not work fully on port B. I had problems getting it to work because I had it on port B. On port A it works perfectly.

But Bluetooth seems to be the more comfortable way.

Uli

Thanks for the information.   I just purchased the MD Bt-01 Bluetooth connector and it works very well, it was simple to set up.  I had been using the Apple USB connector kit but I prefer not having to use the cable, can’t beat the wireless Bluetooth set up.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:02 AM »
Yes, I like the mi.1 connect MIDI device mainly due to its rock-solid reliability, and its tiny size!

Jim

Based on this recommendation, i just purchased and received today the Quicco mi.1 Midi wireless adapter.

The instructions indicate to do a firmware update before installing and to get instructions for the firmware update at this site below.  However, when trying to access, it does not seem to be an existing site or cannot be accessed.    I tried 3 different computers, from USA and from Mexico.  I tried the http:// as well as the https:// to no avail . . .   

any suggestions ?  thanks

http://quicco.co.jp/mi1-update

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Online overover

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
Hi Al,

please try these links to get information about updating the "quicco mi.1":

http://quicco.co.jp/faq/

http://quicco.co.jp/support/

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 03:14:18 AM »
Chris

thanks a lot for your prompt response.  I was able to update the firmware, installed it and working great. 

thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Online overover

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 05:46:11 AM »
Chris

thanks a lot for your prompt response.  I was able to update the firmware, installed it and working great. 

thanks again.

I'm glad to hear that, Al.

Thanks for your nice feedback! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
thank you Chris and team

The Quicco mi.1 device works great, it is very small. Easy to setup.  The Yamaha is excellent as well, but I got the Quicco because it is so tiny that when i place the Genos in the transportation bag i do not even need to take the Quicco mi.1 out.

Now, i got the new app on my iPad 'Piano Jukebox'.  It was required to update the Quicco firmware.   Not sure what it does but will explore it when i have a chance.

thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

iain

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
I can’t seem to get the M.D.-BT01 to work with any consistency I only have it going one way as I want it to pop up words or music only sometimes it comes up with the right words then next time it will show different song words I have it in A midi has anybody had the same problem?

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »
I can’t seem to get the M.D.-BT01 to work with any consistency I only have it going one way as I want it to pop up words or music only sometimes it comes up with the right words then next time it will show different song words I have it in A midi has anybody had the same problem?

what keyboard ? how are you linking ?

. . . . the links do not seem to be right. It seems that the registration is pointing to an unintended link.

If it is for Genos and using the linking method, check the link name to see if it is the correct one.

If for Tyros and using midis, check the numbers your are using to identify the midi/pdf

thanks   

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

iain

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
I have solved it at no stage does it say you have to use the “link this song” I was going to the midi page but it works fine now and worth the effort