Author Topic: PSR S770 (and PSR general) longevity ?  (Read 565 times)

Offline joeloss1

PSR S770 (and PSR general) longevity ?
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:40:56 AM »
I play full-time for senior groups/care industry in UK. Having been throuch PSR 8000/9000, PSR 3000 (still a great keyboard), Tyros 3,
I settled on a new PSR S770 about 6 years ago. For the money I thought this was the best with mic-input and good speakers....no need for anything else.

I have played about 2000 jobs with the S770....so with time at home, it's probably had 3000 hours use.
Just recently I've noticed on/off button hard to use and I think the odd glitch/delay in selections etc.....
Obviously I've had my money's worth but is there a realistic life expectancy for these boards ?

Thanks,

John.

Offline BogdanH

Re: PSR S770 (and PSR general) longevity ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 12:37:14 PM »
hello John,
According to information I could gather on internet... It's hard to say in years, but I think PSR keyboards (considered as midrange) have quite decent life span. It's the mechanical parts that start to malfunction first (is sometimes also users fault), which depends on how much the keyboard is (ab)used. But after certain (undefined) period of time, anything can happen eventually.
If I would need to estimate, then I would say 6-8 years at regular (daily) use -after that one can expect problem here and there.
But then again, manufacturers many times replace certain mechanical components/materials at introducing new model and so one can't really rely on statistics from the past.

About your buttons issue... S700 is not that old and so I'm sure you could still get necessary parts (relative cheap) and replace them by yourself (if you feel skilled enough).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 11:21:01 AM »
My S910, I've had it for almost 11 years now.
Of course, I always try to keep the instrument up to date by fixing minor issues when necessary (changing rubbers, buttons, etc.). In all these years I've had it, I've only needed to replace the circuit board once. Everything is working perfectly on it.
I think having a good and trustworthy technician also contributes to the longevity of the instrument.
Thank God I'm an old customer of one nearby who specializes in this, including repairing sound equipment, and he has always fixed my keyboards, since the time I had the PSR510 when I didn't even have a cover to protect the keyboard, I was still very young, and the sustain pedal was still a novelty.
Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:56:03 PM »
I've always maintained that keeping your keyboard, piano, synth or whatever covered at all times when you're not playing it, is the best way of getting a decent life out of them.
Dust is the killer, along with nicotine.
Circuit boards covered in sticky brown slime used to be a regular problem, fortunately not as bad now.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 12:59:29 PM »
I am on the keyboard 2 to 3 hours everyday on average. Rehearsing or creating a new custom song style. My guess is 10 years if you are really using the keyboard hard. After that you are pushing your luck using it. I am currently waiting for the next SX keyboard to come out, hopefully sometime this year.   

My first keyboard was a used PSR-2000. It was  about 3 years old when I got it. It worked fine for me for 9 more years. The screen went blank in late 2012. I took it in for repair and my authorized dealer told me repair parts were no longer available.

I purchased my PSR-S950 in 2012 and it arrived in January 2013. It’s been 11 years now (no gigs in 2020) and I figure 460 gigs in that time. I have only had the Bend Wheel replaced and I have worn out the power pack (using my old one from the PSR-2000 now). The only button that recently quit on me is the #8 of the registration. I use that button to control the Vocal Harmony backup singers (using button #7 now).

Drake
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:02:04 PM by DrakeM »

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 03:09:35 PM »
I've always maintained that keeping your keyboard, piano, synth or whatever covered at all times when you're not playing it, is the best way of getting a decent life out of them.
Dust is the killer, along with nicotine.
Circuit boards covered in sticky brown slime used to be a regular problem, fortunately not as bad now.

Keith
I'm curious to know how long the previous owner of my Tyros5 had this keyboard.
I recently had to replace its circuit board.
My luck is that it was still available, although it took a while for the part to arrive.
But it's a keyboard that I take care of as much as I can, just like the S910.
Regards.
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."