Author Topic: Sysex messages other than presets and GM sound?  (Read 5229 times)

Outof

Sysex messages other than presets and GM sound?
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:23:13 PM »
I am having really fun with playing my s970 sounds trough my Keytar. But all the effect I add to each voice/preset does not apply my preprogrammed keytarsettings. I mean, if I save a voice from s970 on my keytar with sysex, I can store the sound and pick it up with my key tar, but all effects are gone.

The same is if I edit the sound and save ut as a User preset. I cannot see a way to recall the sound via my Keyar.

Can somebody please tell me if it in any way is possible to call up any voice via sysex messages? If not, what is the seccond best option? I guess I can make preset list and save it to USB, but the whole point with sysex is that I can acutally use my keytar to change sound. That is fantastic, but it is really sad that I cannot edit the sound, put on effects and so on. Any suggestion?

Best
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:09:31 AM by Outof »

SeaGtGruff

Re: Sysex messages other than presets and GM sound?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:02:52 AM »
When you say, "I save a voice from s970 on my keytar with sysex," what do you mean exactly? What procedure are you using to accomplish that?

Also, what make and model of keytar do you have?

Yamaha's XG extension uses SysEx messages which (I think) can duplicate just about any standard MIDI message. You should be able to use XG SysEx messages to set the Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, Program Change, Reverb Type, Chorus Type, DSP Type, Reverb Depth, Chorus Depth, DSP Depth, Channel Volume, Pan, Attack Time, Release Time, Filter Cutoff, Filter Resonance, Modulation, and many other parameters.

You might want to download a copy of the XG documentation; it isn't exactly "light reading," but it's a great reference if you enjoy digging into that sort of thing. I think the latest version that was released to the public is version 2.00, published in 2001. You can get it, along with other useful documents, from here:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/docs_specs.htm

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
You might try downloading MixMaster

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

It has a MIDI Monitor that will capture all the sysex that is output from the keyboard.  If you Keytar has the ability to capture this that will solve your problem.  If you can write multiple sysex strings manually, that will work too.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Outof

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »
Thanks to getting closer to solve my case. Well, it is not ease to explain, but I think I can do better in explaining what I do_

I have a Roland AX-7 keytar. With a lot of research, I was able to use Yamaha's Data list, and program my keytar to recall different sound/voices from my Yamaha. For example if I press 11 on my keytar, I can play my Yamaha's piano sound. If I press 22, I can play accordion and so on. I was able to do this because of program change messanges.

However, I only know how to recall the original preset sound from Yamaha. As soon as I edit it, put on effect, or do any kind of modifications, they are gone when switching to another sound. The point is that I will avoid pressing buttons on my keboard, but only recall any kind of voices just pressing "banks" on my Keytar.

I hope this was clearer.... 

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:13 AM »
Okay, I think I understand what you're trying to do...

You can select a voice from the keytar, but it always uses that voice's preset voice settings (reverb type, reverb depth, chorus type, chorus depth, channel volume, pan, octave, attack time, release time, filter cutoff, filter resonance, etc.).

What you want to be able to do is either recall a user voice from the keytar, or a registration, or otherwise select a voice that has the settings you've chosen for it, rather than being limited to just the preset voices.

I'd have to look over the manuals for the AX-7 and the PSR-S970 to see what's possible.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:55 AM »
I'm afraid your keytar is far too limited to do what you are asking.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Outof

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »
That's bad news. Is there any keytar that can do it?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:20 AM »
That's bad news. Is there any keytar that can do it?

I'm not familiar with keytars, but what you want to look for is the MIDI Data Formats and see if you can write sysex strings that can be transmitted from the instrument.  I doubt you will find a keytar that will do that because of what it is... a performance instrument that hangs around your neck.

Joe H