Author Topic: Applying dsp effects on a midi song into Yamaha psr-s970  (Read 9394 times)

Jason

Applying dsp effects on a midi song into Yamaha psr-s970
« on: February 11, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
Hi Sir,
Thank you for the approval to this forum. I'm a keyboard player. I've been playing from 13 years. Currently I'm using Yamaha psr-s970 keyboard. I use fl studio to create tracks and for music arrangements.
I'm able to play the tracks created using fl studio into my keyboard by exporting as midi fille. I can also revoice the 16 midi channels and But when I tried to apply dsp effects I got little confused. I tried doing it from MIXING CONSOLE- EFFECTS - TYPE where I got 4 dsp effects. Now the problem is channels are 16 and dsp effects are 4 and each dsp effect can applied only 1 channel. How can I use dsp effects to 16 midi channels?
Also need to know what if I want s dsp effects only a part of song (for some bars)
Kindly help me in this issue.
Thanks,
Jason

Read more: http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/thread/256/applying-effects-midi-song-yamaha#ixzz56mJPucAa

Offline panos

Re: Applying dsp effects on a midi song into Yamaha psr-s970
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
Hi Jason,
if you push the Mixing Console button once you see Panel Part
push it twice you see Style Part
push it 3 times now you see the Song ch 1-8
There you can apply effects for each track.
I don't know if there are any extra effects that the s970 have and my s750 doesn't have and you reffering to them.

PSR-S970/S770 Reference Manual - Yamaha Corporation

pages for DSP .....................................18, 19, 106

https://www.google.gr/search?q=PSR-S970%2FS770+Reference+Manual+-+Yamaha+Corporation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Xe1_WrqLNO6AX9P1gCA
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:15:30 PM by panos »

Jason

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
Sir,
I'm on the same page which you are referring.
MISING CONSOLE (3 Times)
I can see 16 tracks. From here if I press tab 3 times it's taking me to EFFECT tab. Here I 've an option called TYPE Where I get an option to apply dsp on channels. But same problem there are 4 dsp effects and each can be assigned only one channel but how to apply them for 16 tracks. I just read the reference manual but still not able to understand. Please help.

Thanks

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
The s970 works differently. than mine.
The midi files Yamaha calls them "songs".
So that you should only look for.
And songs always got 16 channels.

page 105
1 Call up the desired page from PANEL, STYLE or SONG by pressing the [MIXER/EQ]
button, repeatedly, if necessary

Sorry I couldn't help you more Jason.
Someone with s970 or an s770 will help you better.
Wait some time...

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »
In "type" you can choose 3 types of effects for ALL channels and then for each channel you will make the changes according to this 3 effects types ONLY.

Jason

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
But how I can apply these effects to all the channels in (TYPE) it's allowing me to select only one channel.
Thank you.

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
I see this on my S750
MIXING CONSOLE(CH1-8)
4th tab EFFECTS
and there are 3 types of effects for each channel(channels 1-8)
for example I choose these 3 types of effects:
reverb
chorus
dsp1

Now I have to apply them to each channel individually for the first 8 channels.
then i will press "A" button and i can call channels 9-16
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:19:02 PM by panos »

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
this is what i can see

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jason

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
Sir,
Are you able to make changes in DSP 1 (3rd option on your picture) for all the channels of the song? This is where I'm stuck. It's not allowing to make changes on only channels where dsp is applied and dsp can be applied only for 4 channels.
Thanks

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
No it doesn't allow me to make any changes on 3rd effect.
I use this function only to style part and sometimes I cannot change the 3rd effect.

Jason

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
It will allow you to change only those channels where you apply dsp through TYPE in effect page.

ob7914

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Hello

I don't know if you will be able to dispatch DSP on every channel with PSR S-970 (as you wrote 4 DSP vs 16 channel).
I never succeed to do it ...

Did you try to set DSP assignement to "system" instead of "insert" ?

MIXING CONSOLE => EFFECTS tab > clock on DSP => TYPE => DETAILS

I don't think this setting is on the reference manual. It allows to use one dsp to every style tracks so maybe it works with song part as well ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:29:16 PM by ob7914 »

The following users thanked this post: panos

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
This is the style I am working on rigth now and Dsp1 is open to apply it to all the channels of the part if I wish.
On a midi file that I tried earlier I could use it as you said only to one channel of the midi.
If i choose the preset demo song of "ode to joy" from the user folder "SamplesSongs"
I can also change the Dsp1 for all channels if I wish.
pffff......

Jason

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:42:39 PM »
As you say it can be done on sample song then there should be a way to do it with all the songs. Do you think they might have done it through SYS/EX function in song creator

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:31 PM »
Jason, I'm glad you made it here! :)

As I mentioned on the other forum site, I don't have a PSR-S970 or similar model.

From what the manuals say, it sounds like you're supposed to be able to select DSP1, set its "Connection" parameter to "System," and then the chosen DSP1 Effect Type will be applied to the entire system-- in this case, all 16 Channels of the Song. Then you can set the Send Level (Depth) of each Channel, and Return Level for all Channels.

If you wish to use different DSP Effect Types with each Channel, then for DSP1 you must set its "Connection" parameter to "Insertion." I think for DSP2, DSP3, and DSP4 they are always Insertion? The manual seems to say that you can then select a different Effect Type for each Channel, but I don't see a step-by-step guide on how to do that.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I don't see any illustrations that show that "Connection" parameter they mention, nor do I have any way to try any of this myself; but there are several PSR-S970 owners here, so hopefully they can help you work everything out. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:49:38 PM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
On a midi file that I tried earlier I could use it as you said only to one channel of the midi.
If i choose the preset demo song of "ode to joy" from the user folder "SamplesSongs"
I can also change the Dsp1 for all channels if I wish.
pffff......

I don't have a PSR but speaking from using Tyros, "every time"  you find you cannot access all channels for DSP1 you need to go to Details and alter Connection from Insert to System as mentioned in a previous post. It is not a global setting so you may have to go there more than once. Once it has been saved within a song or style as a system effect it will return as "system" which explains why sometimes you can access all channels, sometimes you can't because often "insert" seems to be the default condition.
John
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:54:41 PM by jwyvern »

Offline panos

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »
Yes that's it.it worked on my psr s750 also :D
Thank you guys!

Jason

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
Jwyvern,
What exactly you did. Can you please explain.
Thanks

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »
Hi Jason,
I'm not sure what you want me to explain so maybe you can clarify? Altering Connection from Insert to System has been well illustrated for the PSR by panos in his post just after mine (and before yours) if that is what you need.
Regards, John
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:36:25 PM by jwyvern »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
Jason, see pages 105 through 108 of the Reference Manual.

On page 105, under "DSP1," it mentions setting the "Connection" parameter to "System."

On page 108, under step 2, it says to use the [3^v]-[5^v] buttons to select a parameter (although the illustration doesn't show the "Connection" parameter), then use the [6^v]/[7^v] buttons to edit the value of that parameter.

So to summarize:

Choose DSP1 (rather than DSP2, DSP3, or DSP4).
Select the Effect Type for DSP1.
Press the [H] button to call up the effect parameters editing screen.
Press the [3^v], [4^v], and/or [5^v] buttons as needed until you've selected the "Connection" parameter.
Press the [6^v] and/or [7^v] buttons as needed to change the "Connection" parameter to "System."

Jason

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
Sir,
Thank you very much. Got the point. Dsp 1 can applied for whole song (16 channels) and dsp234 can be applied specific channels. I tried and it's working. Thank you very much.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
I'm happy that you were finally able to get it working, Jason! :)