Author Topic: My First week of having Genos and a brief comparison with my Tyros5 and KorgPa4x  (Read 2717 times)

Offline StuartR

Sorry, but you are incorrect, too :) I don't know what are you saved in your registrations on Tyros 5, but I have had some issues with my Tyros5 registrations loaded in Genos, as some of Delay DSP has Feedback parameter over the maximum value accepted, or other issues, like Distortion DSP on guitar as on Tyros 5 I had Chorus DSP, etc...

Regards,
Vali

Ok, fair point😁. Guess I've been fortunate and haven't noticed any irregularities so far but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I suspect most of the translation errors between Tyros 5 and Genos will get fixed and if they don't you'll be there to let them know! 😲😁

Offline EileenL

No it is not a BUG. I think that word has been to freely used without exploring the keyboard and how it works.
  Yes there are a few glitches which will be fixed as time goes on. These certainly do not stop you enjoying this keyboard and doing a little tweaking to suit individual tastes. That is all part of the fun.

Offline Bud2

The only problem I found with a couple of my Registrations from my Tyros 5 was a wrong drum set was chosen and it gave either a strange noise instead of a drum set sound or there was a loud thud instead of a base drum (I think) a friend also experienced this. However the majority of my Registrations worked with either very little alteration or no alteration, I would say over 98% of them were fine, so if you found a lot of problems Kaarlo von Freymann, I can only think you have either not updated the OS or there is something wrong with just your Genos, as nearly everyone else, like me, have had only minor problems with their Registrations off their Tyros 5.

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Online valimaties

It has always been the case that styles, registrations etc are largely transferrable between arranger models in the PSR /Tyros range, but sometimes need tweaking. That is why people devised conversion software, and even after using the conversion they may still not be exact. This is because there are differences in styles and voices, and all the registration can do is pick the nearest thing.  For example, even if Yamaha have not made big change to a voice, they might have tweaked some parameters between models, and his applies also to voices used in the style. So when people say they can transfer they don't necessarily mean they are exactly the same in every case, or that they worked without a little tweaking here and there, because they really cannot be. I wouldn't call this a bug.
Mike

Mike, in my oppinion, Tyros 5 registrations are not fully compatible with Genos. There are issues Yamaha must solve them. Or at least make them convertable from YEM.
A file which is not loaded due system incompatibilities is understandable, but a file which load and some parameters are not loaded correctly, IMO represent a bug. ;) Which, definitelly, has to be informed to Yamaha and solved ;)
Do Not bypass any issue, provide those aspects to Yamaha. They don't know till we inform them ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Matieş - Genos

The only problem I found with a couple of my Registrations from my Tyros 5 was a wrong drum set was chosen and it gave either a strange noise instead of a drum set sound or there was a loud thud instead of a base drum (I think) a friend also experienced this. However the majority of my Registrations worked with either very little alteration or no alteration, I would say over 98% of them were fine, so if you found a lot of problems Kaarlo von Freymann, I can only think you have either not updated the OS or there is something wrong with just your Genos, as nearly everyone else, like me, have had only minor problems with their Registrations off their Tyros 5.

Thank you all  VERY MUCH  for dealing with my issues. Naturally I do sincerely appreciate any help very much.  Looking for help  is the reason why I,  and I think all others go to forums.  (I am on quite a few that do not deal with music as I am not  making my living by playing but by designing military drones)  BTW I do have 1.10 installed.
In case it is a problem that  dozens of style I have on the TYROS 5/6  and work well there are neither a TYROS style nor originally even a YAMAHA style but for example  converted from Technics, (Some Technics 6000 styles  are very good)   then that might explain  part of my problems.

In case I have other problems no one else has like for instance 

- the pitch bender range and fade in fade out not staying where they were set  e.g. resetting to something else after power
  being cycled, 
- only my Genos sometimes freezes like my PCs  do every once in a while and must be switched off and on again

then Bud 2's conclusion  that "there is something wrong with just my Genos" seems pretty conclusive.  As a fact no-one else has reported these problems on this forum.  Will copy these posts and hand them to the Yamaha Importer's representative to-morrow, and post anything interesting that turns up.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
The year you were born is unimportant as long as you can still play your keyboard and don't have to change the treble setting

I think itís worth pointing out that some people donít have very good hearing and are not therefore going to benefit from the greatly improved sound and also if you wear hearing aids they are not any good for music only speech, unless you pay a lot for them.
Graham

Dear Graham,
How right you are, my sister has that problem. Even  her  6.000 $  hearing aid is reasonably  good only for speech, no hearing aid works well for music.  That's why we should all use noise canceling in ear monitoring  on gigs in order to keep the level low to save our hearing.   I am 83 and  all my EQ settings are still the same as they were 10 years ago, but  different from what they were 20 years ago. More trebble. But to be honest I cannot appreciate the "huge difference" in sound quality  people claim there is between Tyros and  Genos.  But "huge" has different meanings,  Mr. Trump has taught us that.

Kaarlo
The year you were born is unimportant as long as you can still play your keyboard and don't have to change the treble setting

Offline Fred Smith

Thank you all  VERY MUCH  for dealing with my issues. Naturally I do sincerely appreciate any help very much.  Looking for help  is the reason why I,  and I think all others go to forums.  (I am on quite a few that do not deal with music as I am not  making my living by playing but by designing military drones)  BTW I do have 1.10 installed.
In case it is a problem that  dozens of style I have on the TYROS 5/6  and work well there are neither a TYROS style nor originally even a YAMAHA style but for example  converted from Technics, (Some Technics 6000 styles  are very good)   then that might explain  part of my problems.

In case I have other problems no one else has like for instance 

- the pitch bender range and fade in fade out not staying where they were set  e.g. resetting to something else after power
  being cycled, 
- only my Genos sometimes freezes like my PCs  do every once in a while and must be switched off and on again

The bugs you have identified are a long way from your statement "YAMAHA Scandinavia has confirmed that registration banks can not be transferred from Tyros to Genos at this time"

When you make statements like that, you are going to get the responses you did. Had you identified these bugs in your initial post, you would have saved us all a lot of time.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The bugs you have identified are a long way from your statement "YAMAHA Scandinavia has confirmed that registration banks can not be transferred from Tyros to Genos at this time"

When you make statements like that, you are going to get the responses you did. Had you identified these bugs in your initial post, you would have saved us all a lot of time.

Fred

Sorry Fred,
as a fact the reason why many Tyros owners in Germany and  some here in Finland  were not able to convert reg.banks has been sorted out. (Eileen helped)  A  Tyros site in Germany years ago recommended making  4 partitions on the HD, which helped structuring the content and actually worked well for us through all the Tyros models. Now with Genos that became a problem for those who did that. As an example:  every style on partition 1,  every midi file on partition 2.
It is not possible to transfer the regs. if you have this setup.  You can get around that by copying all styles and registrations to the user drive on Tyros, but for most users that is not possible due to the fact that the user drive on Tyros is too small to accept  all the styles many  (me included) had  on HD partition 1. So ironically both those who on German sites claimed they could not do the trick and those here and on German sites who said they were able to do it  were telling the truth. Yamaha Scandinavia, who did confirm to the Finnish importer that there was a problem probably had this information from Germany.  So now we  who have the problem know what the reason for the problem is and that it will not be solved with the next upgrade.  As to the  many other problems the manager of the importer's keyboard department was kind enough to spend 3 hours with me and is sorting out what are known bugs ans which are just present on my Genos.

Kind regards

Kaarlo