Author Topic: Back up too many files  (Read 6938 times)

Offline stephenm52

Back up too many files
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »
I’ve been backing up my Genos at least once per week with no issues.  This morning I attempted to back it up and I received a message that there were “too many files to back up”.  I have a folder with my registrations that have 160 registrations in it.   What’s the limit I don’t remember nor can I find any info in the manuals.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline AlBags

Re: Back up too many files
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »

Hi ..
It's a limitation of the file system, it's not an error.
It does not work as well as Windows Explorer!

I found this limitation when copying Tyros 5 folders, too.
Copy the top level, then look inside that/those folders and copy again down a folder level and try again/overwrite as necessary. I found happens if there are too many folders of files inside other folders. Only thing is, dont lose where you get to (compare afterwards)
The only other issue I had was finding a few reg's that had strange symbols in name, Genos file system does not seem tolerant of these.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
Al,  Thanks for the info, I’ll check my folders and files based on your comments.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
Are you copying the files or making a backup ?
Because if you make a backup, then read the Reference manual on page 148 second note:

If the total size of the target data for backup exceeds 1.9 GB (excluding Audio files), the backup function is not available.
If this happens, back up the User data by copying the items individually.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:53:07 AM »
Are you copying the files or making a backup ?
Because if you make a backup, then read the Reference manual on page 148 second note:

If the total size of the target data for backup exceeds 1.9 GB (excluding Audio files), the backup function is not available.
If this happens, back up the User data by copying the items individually.

Regards
Etienne

At this point I have .5 gig backed up from the internal, but if it’s pulling data from USB 1 then I’m over the 1.9 gig max.   Thanks for the info. :)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »

I am pretty certain that when the filing system reports 'too many files' it is for the reason I stated... and that's also how it was on T5.
Personally, I would not trust any auto backup at this stage of GenosGenos firmware release, until a few firmware versions have gone by. Have a check through your folders to make sure!
Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline StuartR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:39:29 AM »
I am pretty certain that when the filing system reports 'too many files' it is for the reason I stated... and that's also how it was on T5.
Personally, I would not trust any auto backup at this stage of GenosGenos firmware release, until a few firmware versions have gone by. Have a check through your folders to make sure!
Al.

I agree. At this point, even though it's a bit inconvenient, boot the Genos into storage mode and use your PC to back up the entire SSD to a folder on your PC. No worries about file/folder limitations.😁

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:49:43 AM »
There is a limit to the "Root Directory", which is where the problem of running out of memory takes place. The limit used to be, if I recall correctly, 140 files or folders within the Root Directory. However, you can place folders inside folders, inside folders, etc..., all of which can hold another 140 files or folders within their root directory. I have some folders that contained a huge collection of Yamaha Tyros styles. While I could open the folder on the PC, I was unable to open it on the keyboard and got that same message. Therefore, I had to use the PC and create some additional folders and do a lot of copying and pasting of style files in order to be able to open them. I just did them in alphabetical order, such as, A through D, E through H, etc...

Hope this helps,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:29 AM »
@Gary
For the Genos :
The maximum number of files/folders  which can be stored in a folder is 2500.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Etienne, WOW! That's a massive increase over the Tyros and PSR series. I don't have the manual on my PC anymore, but I'll have to look that up. That figure seems unusually high.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
Why not backup to the  usb underneath 64 gig is good .
I always back up to an external terrabyte drive  for safety and store excess from the main on the drive underneath the Genos
External drives are best for backing up wave files

Just have what you need for playing a set and store the rest in the cupboard underneath the Genos Harry Potter ;D
It would be great to have a Nimbus 3 keyboard  :o
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:26:25 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  Since Genos came with a back up utility I have been using that but I agree back to the computer while the Genos is in HD storage mode will work just fine.  I can also easily back up the USB stick to another one, that’s the way I have been doing it for years. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks