Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Voices & Revo Drums

Volume and expression is post dsp for drawbar organ?

<< < (4/4)

StuartR:

--- Quote from: KeyboardByBiggs on February 06, 2018, 05:05:46 AM ---It doesn't have to be a mess at all Stuart if set up well. The connections are simple enough. I now need to see how well I can integrate it with the Genos. It has to be elegant or no go for me.

I should add that the organs in Genos are perfectly usable and serviceable. If you like to throw in an organ lick from time to time or even a featured organ song here and there, they're perfectly fine.

For me, they're not up to the professional level I'd expect in a keyboard this advanced and at this price (no organ vibrato/chorus? accurate 2nd and 3rd harmonic percussion?). I'm also a life-long organ player that wants a top-notch instrument at my disposal in the Genos, the same way a piano player wants a breathtaking sampled piano in his/her Genos. All the Yamaha company demo people start out by saying just that in regards to the piano. They understand for sure.

It's just baffling to me that a little independent instrument software company can pretty much nail that professional approach and result, at retail, for barely over a hundred bucks. You know?

I also haven't given up on more tweaking within my Genos to see if I can't come closer to an ideal internal sound. Or perhaps someone will offer a custom pack that really lights things up. I'd love to have a look at something like that!

--- End quote ---

I have several third party organ packs for the Tyros 5 that I've installed on the Genos. One is called Live Organs and the other is a collection of Jimmy Smith organ patches. They all sound good to me except for the inability to ramp/sweep the Leslie.
I was wondering if something like a Hammond SK1 would do the trick? Not cheap but has what sounds like a really good Leslie emulation as well as the feel of a real B3 keybed. As an organ player do you have any thoughts on that?

KeyboardByBiggs:

--- Quote from: StuartR on February 06, 2018, 06:09:28 AM ---I have several third party organ packs for the Tyros 5 that I've installed on the Genos. One is called Live Organs and the other is a collection of Jimmy Smith organ patches. They all sound good to me except for the inability to ramp/sweep the Leslie.\

--- End quote ---

First of all, where can I get those? :)

--- Quote ---I was wondering if something like a Hammond SK1 would do the trick? Not cheap but has what sounds like a really good Leslie emulation as well as the feel of a real B3 keybed. As an organ player do you have any thoughts on that?

--- End quote ---

Personally, I love the feel of the Genos, so I'm not looking for another set of keys. If you want those square waterfall-style keys then, by all means, find the ones you absolutely love. The SK series is well-liked by a lot of organ players. Perhaps you could find a used one at a decent price.

If it's just the Leslie you're after, there are some pretty nice emulators out there you could run through. Someone just posted a demo of one such unit in another thread here today.

Hammond even makes one of their own: https://youtu.be/GPxGAi5nYFo

The Ventilator and Mini Vent are also popular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHje9ioL2Q

StuartR:

--- Quote from: KeyboardByBiggs on February 06, 2018, 06:31:45 AM ---First of all, where can I get those? :)

Personally, I love the feel of the Genos, so I'm not looking for another set of keys. If you want those square waterfall-style keys then, by all means, find the ones you absolutely love. The SK series is well-liked by a lot of organ players. Perhaps you could find a used one at a decent price.

If it's just the Leslie you're after, there are some pretty nice emulators out there you could run through. Someone just posted a demo of one such unit in another thread here today.

Hammond even makes one of their own: https://youtu.be/GPxGAi5nYFo

The Ventilator and Mini Vent are also popular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHje9ioL2Q

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I just discovered the pedal version of the SK1 digital Leslie. As to the sounds I mentioned, check your email for details.

voodoo:
Thank you all for the vivid discussion. This forum is great. :)

Currently I am working on using my iPad together with my Genos. I follow two directions:

* Use any B3 clone wheel app on iPad (Korg Module, IK Multimedia SampleTank, Galileo, PocketOrgan etc.) and play it on the Genos keyboard. I can configure Right 3 to local off and connect iPad over WiFi, bluetooth or USB. And most 10$-Apps for iPad sound better than the organ simulation of Genos, because all have overdrive and rotary working as expected.

* Use iPad as an external midi controller and control Genos DSP parameter by Sysex command over midi. Still experimenting, but proof of concept was successfull.

I plan to write a how-to-do-it-on-iPad series here in this board.

Uli

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version