Author Topic: Style Creator Assembly and DSPs  (Read 7004 times)

Offline jsb1999

Style Creator Assembly and DSPs
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
It appears that using the style creator assembly function, the DSP information of the source style track is not copied to the destination track.
This seems like a strange oversight since the DSP contributes so much to the sound of the style tracks.

Does StyleMagic solve this problem?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:44:07 PM by jsb1999 »

Offline valimaties

Re: Style Creator Assembly and DSPs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
It appears that using the style creator assembly function, the DSP information of the source style track is not copied to the destination track.
This seems like a strange oversight since the DSP contributes so much to the sound of the style tracks.

Does StyleMagic solve this problem?

From my practice, only the chorus and reverb DSPs can be saved in style. The DSPs from "Effect" pages are stored only in registrations, not in styles... This happens in OTS too (OTS are stored in styles, so it is normal not saving there, but only in registrations). I prefer save the "Effects" DSPs (third DSP) in style, not in registration... The third can be more than one :) , but for now (and I don't think it could be made this wish by Yamaha, because they don't want to and don't care) it is not possible.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »
PS: If you look inside a style (use a midi software, StyleMagic YA, or what do you have), the messages (SysEx, Tempo, Measure, DSPs, and a couple of others) are stored in SInt part of style. SInt part is the general settings for style. So, all settings you made to a style, like DSP, tempo, measure are stored in SInt part, not in Mains or fills or other style parts... Other parts can store Program Change (a voice), different controls as volumes, expression, pitch bend controls, ...
When you copy a channel from another style you practically copy only the information between markers in midi file of style... so cannot copy the SInt controls or messages... This is the Yamaha Style Concept, is different from other brands and in the same time, much more elementary  :(

For example, in Korg's Style Recorder, you can make Variation 1 (Main A) on 4/4 and tempo of 125, with all settings saved in this variation, and Variation 2 (Main B) with 2/4 (or whatever) and tempo of 140... Practically, each part of style on Korg is like a full style (with only a single part) on Yamaha, concatenated :D 

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:59:35 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
I see. So is there a way to copy a DSP from one style to another, other than writing down all of the parameters and re-entering them?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »
If you are considering copying Yamaha's settings there is probably little to do other than re-assign the appropriate preset dsp and make sure the Send is correct. While I have not looked across all Genos styles (too much work!)  Yamaha generally seem to use preset  values (many categories eg. Uni Comp will already have a number of presets with Detail values designed to cater for different conditions).
So the extra chore of writing down and re-tweaking for those may not be needed. OTOH if a user has edited and saved designer settings in the dsp's they "will"  need to be!  :)

John

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »
I see. So is there a way to copy a DSP from one style to another, other than writing down all of the parameters and re-entering them?

In my opinion, the only way is saving your settings for a DSP to one of the user's slots,  and there you have it... Of course, you are limited to a couple of user's slots :D

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 04:21:11 AM »
Vali,

so you say, mixer settings for a style including dsp settings for a style are always global for a style and not specific for style parts. This is an interesting observation. Important to remember. This coincides with my observations.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:45:19 AM »
Vali,

so you say, mixer settings for a style including dsp settings for a style are always global for a style and not specific for style parts. This is an interesting observation. Important to remember. This coincides with my observations.

Uli
Although dsp settings are global most other Mixer settings eg volume or voice can be set to change by style variation if you wish (as on Tyros). You need to enter Style Creator first, select the Variation then go to Mixer, (direct access + the style variation button on Genos)  make the changes, exit from Mixer back to Creator, then save.
John

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:22:19 AM »
John,

Thanks for this information.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Although dsp settings are global most other Mixer settings eg volume or voice can be set to change by style variation if you wish (as on Tyros). You need to enter Style Creator first, select the Variation then go to Mixer, (direct access + the style variation button on Genos)  make the changes, exit from Mixer back to Creator, then save.
John

This is the only good way to change the voice or other parameters for a style variation. Never, but never, do this using Mixer in Style Play Mode... Why?! Simple :D Because, if you have a complex style with different voices on the same channel, if you change  voice or other parameter on that channel in a variation, it will maintain changed settings on all variation. And this is not a good behavior (or approach).

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos