Author Topic: Problems recording on S770  (Read 6406 times)

Andersh

Problems recording on S770
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Hi, this is my first post here, thanks for a great forum!!

I'm trying somthing as simple as using the 16 track sequencer to record different parts of a Song. But it seems buggy. Nothing fancy, no styles or anything. Only one and one simple voice.

If i hit record button (default lights up all channels for recording) and play the main theme in one channel (just piano), I cannot record onto any other channels afterwards. I have to start by specifying ONE channel only, to be able to add more voices afterwards.

I hold REC and chooses one channel, the channel lights up with 'REC' i start the Song and play a second voice but nothing is recorded. Same if I try to open a saved file and add another track. Lights up as ready to record on the chosen track, starts the other recordings when i start to play, but nothing is added/changed on the track i choose.

The Song Editor settings is checked, and per settings is should overwrite existing info in the track.

Any tips for me on this would be greatly appretiatated!😊

Best Regards,
Anders

Offline Ed B

Re: Problems recording on S770
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
Keep on learning

Online DerekA

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
After you select the track to "arm" for recording, you need to select which part to record to that track. Each track has a default part that it will record - R1, R2, L, whatever, but you can change it to whatever you want.

So if you're recording your right-hand playing, make sure you select part R1 to record to the track.

NB if you're recording dual voices, you need to arm one track for R1 and another for R2.
Genos

Andersh

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
I have read the tutorial, seen several videos on the subject on youtube, and even read the manual.

I really believe I am doing it right, but nothing is recorded onto my choosen track. Example:
  • I start new song with just pressing record (not choose specific track, so all tracks light up red with "REC").
  • I play solo piano and this is by default recorded onto track 1.
  • I hit stop. When playback track one plays piano, no other tracks blinks "orange" when I playback the song, so no other tracks has data onto them.
  • At this point it is impossible to record something onto track 2.
  • I hold the REC and choose track 2, track 2 lights up with "REC" and all other is "ON". I start to play and REC-LED indicates that recording has started, and plays back the song on track one. All "seems" good, but afterwards nothing is stored on track 2.
To me, based on fiddling with MIDI and CakeWalk many years ago, it seems that it's recording MIDI channel 2, but my playing is not routed to channel 2. Is there a way to direct my playing to a designated MIDI channel?
Other example:
  • New song.
  • HOLD REC and choose track 1, plays onto that track.
  • HOLD REC and choose track 2, plays onto that track, all good.
  • HOLD REC and choose track 3, plays onto that track, all good.
  • All playing is saved onto choosen tracks, and all looks good.
  • But, if I save the song, and open it again, I cannot add tracks anymore. Then it's back to the same behaviour as the other example. It all looks right, choosen track marks with "REC", all other tracks is "ON", LED on record button states that recording starts when I start to play. I start to play, recording starts. All good, bot afterwards nothing is recorded

Since this is a song with several tracks recorded already, I have to play onto, say, track 4. It seems again that my playing is not routed to track 4, and thus is not recorded...

In all examples above I have NOT chosen a "part" or what it's called. I have pressed REC+track and started playing. Then the "part" question goes away. I'm only playing one voice at a time, and I cant seem to get any sense out of choosing if I'm playing right one/two or whatever. I'm playing solo piano on the complete range of the keyboard, then add some bass, third track is maybe some strings, and then maybe some drums or something. All voices are layed out on the complete keyboard, not right/left or whatever...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:18:55 PM by Andersh »

Online DerekA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
In all examples above I have NOT chosen a "part" or what it's called. I have pressed REC+track and started playing. Then the "part" question goes away.

I think you are wrong. When you press REC + Track, a small popup window appears asking you which part to route to this track. Are you sure that you have selected R1 in that popup box.
Genos

Andersh

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Hi!

No, i have not. As described above:

In all examples above I have NOT chosen a "part" or what it's called. I have pressed REC+track and started playing. Then the "part" question goes away. I'm only playing one voice at a time, and I cant seem to get any sense out of choosing if I'm playing right one/two or whatever. I'm playing solo piano on the complete range of the keyboard, then add some bass, third track is maybe some strings, and then maybe some drums or something. All voices are layed out on the complete keyboard, not right/left or whatever...

I see no logic in choosing "Right1" when I'm not gonna play one side or the other on the keyboard?

Mabe there is a mistake in there somewhere?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »
In all examples above I have NOT chosen a "part" or what it's called.

I see no logic in choosing "Right1" when I'm not gonna play one side or the other on the keyboard?

Mabe there is a mistake in there somewhere?

The 'mistake' is in your logic!    ::)

When you arm a channel to REC, the Part Assignment popup window opens showing the part that will provide the source of the notes to record.  It normally opens with the default part highlighted for that channel, and unless you change it, this is where the recorder expects to get the notes from for the recording.

For example the default part for channel 5 is Multi Pad #1, and unless you change it to the part that you actually want to use to provide the notes for that channel recording (say to R1), then when you start recording, the recorder is only 'listening' to the Multi Pad #1 part. No notes from any other part (eg. R1) will be recorded!

You are not selecting the part for playback here, you are simply setting the part that you want to play when you make the recording and therefore will provide the data to record!

So you must set the part in the popup to coincide with the part that you actually want to play when recording the channel.  If you intend to use R1 as the source of the notes to be recorded when you record the various channels, you must set the part in the popup to R1 each time!  Then the notes that you play using the R1 voice will be recorded.

Unless the default part happens to be the one that you want to use to record the channel,  just closing the popup without changing the part (as you say you are doing) will simply select the default part as the source of the recorded data!  If there is no output from that part, then nothing will be recorded!

There are instructions about Multi Track MIDI recording on page 69 (English version) of the 'PSR-S970/S770 Owner's Manual', but  Yamaha have stupidly chosen to hide away the list of Channel Default Parts in the 'Reference Manual' which has to be downloaded!  For convenience I have included them below. 

The default recording parts for each channel are:

Channel 1   :   Right 1
Channel 2   :   Left
Channel 3   :   Right 2
Channel 4   :    - 
Channel 5   :   Multi Pad 1
Channel 6   :   Multi Pad 2
Channel 7   :   Multi Pad 3
Channel 8   :   Multi Pad 4
Channel 9   :   Rhythm 1
Channel 10 :   Rhythm 2
Channel 11 :   Bass