Author Topic: TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS  (Read 23350 times)

Offline alans

TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS
« on: December 24, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »
Hi all

Just read a post on Eileens forum about a Genos owner removing a plastic ""screen protector " or rather what  he thought was a screen protector.He said it was difficult to remove and now his touch screen does not operate,probably meaning an expensive repair !!

New Genos owners PLEASE BE AWARE if your new Genos arrives with a thin plastic film over the screen (mine didn't ) please take care that it is NOT  part of the screen itself ,that  must NOT be removed !!

Alan
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:52:28 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Bill

Re: TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
Hi Alan

Thanks for letting everyone know.

It is such a pity that this guy was told (with some authority) that it was perfectly safe to remove the protection.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline alans

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
Hi Bill

I do not know if some  Genos' are shipped with a screen protector,I seem to think not,mine certainly didn't, but this owner has probably invalidated the warranty so therefore will probably have to pay for a repair.I just thought owners needed to know this to avoid any expensive repair bills

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Michael R

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
Alan is quite right. I am the unfortunate party. I probably should have warned people myself but its been to painful to even think about!!!

This is the first and last time I will EVER do anything I’m unsure about without proper advice from Yamaha Tech support. Having said that, I do wonder if the screen was faulty in someway for it to show a ripple at the top Centre, which moved as the finger moved on screen. If this hadn’t been there I never would have dreamt it was removable!!

Michael

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
Hi Michael

Thanks for responding to this post,I'm very sorry you've had this experience.
Always best to seek the help of Yamaha tech if you think something is not as it should be with your keyboard.
I hope something can be done for you with minimum cost.

Regards

Alan

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Hi Michael

I know the damage is done, but it would have been common decency if the guy who gave you the advice had at least came back and offered an apology.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »
a ripple at the top Centre, which moved as the finger moved on screen.

Dear Michael, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I'm shocked! I don't get it, if it moved with your finger that means it couldnt
be a part of the screen? I mean, the screen shouldnt have anything that can be removed with your finger, it should be a one piece thing...do you happen to have a picture of that or something? It must have been a faulty screen otherwise I cant explain the mobility of that layer...
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Dear Michael, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I'm shocked! I don't get it, if it moved with your finger that means it couldnt
be a part of the screen? I mean, the screen shouldnt have anything that can be removed with your finger, it should be a one piece thing...do you happen to have a picture of that or something? It must have been a faulty screen otherwise I cant explain the mobility of that layer...

It is a resistive touch screen, so it is not "one piece", there are two pieces... One of them decodes X axis and other one decodes Y axis.
HERE you can read about how a resistive touch screen is build.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Zionip has apologised to Michael on my forum as that is where the problem was first mentioned.

Michael R

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »
Thanks to excellent service from my dealer in the UK, A&C Hamilton’s of Preston, they have arranged for Yamaha UK to repair my Genos. This is the first and last time I will ever meddle with something I’m not sure about. When I noticed that the screen didn’t look quite right, I should have contacted my dealer straight away for advice. My Genos has now gone to be repaired and I hope to have it back very soon. Thanks again A&C Hamilton’s and Yamaha UK!!

Michael

Offline alans

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 04:36:29 PM »
Hi Michael

Pleased that you're getting it fixed,at no or minimum cost to you I hope

Alan

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the Info.

Last week I sold a Genos to a customer and we transferred his T5 Datas ... after we done that I said "let´s fix a protecting film...

(You know that I sold that years for t5 and PA4X ...) B.A.B.E. brought me to the idea to build it for T5 all over.....

But back to last week.... I cleaned the display from our fingerprints  ...  and we looked both like dumb boys :-((
We already did it, and made two small "scratches" .. on the display  :-( I tried "polish" out .. but no chance ...

The Film I already sell ist not perfect (I know that!) but better than nothing .. also If you cut a pcs Protection film by yourself ist fine to avoid scratches ... It IST not a GORILLA Glas we know from mobile phones!!!

AND it ist not the "fingerprints" Problem .. it ist dirt and stuff .. on the display .. bringing up scratches...

greetings from Germany
frank .... still searching for the PERFECT Protection ....
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Is it that easily scratched? oh my...
I saw a Genos screen protector on Ebay, but it seems like it covers the whole thing, what happens if I want to replace it one day?
I might get the actual screen scratched/damaged by trying to remove the protector, isnt that a bit risky?
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
I'll bet Genos 2 will have capacitive touch screen... ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
I'll bet Genos 2 will have capacitive touch screen... ;)
. And perhaps USB 3.x support. But I have to say that I've been very pleased with the touch response of the Genos screen. It's the best of any of the capacitive screens I've used. Much better than the one on the Korg Kronos or even the Yamaha Montage.

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
But I have to say that I've been very pleased with the touch response of the Genos screen.
Is it easily scratched? do u use a screen protector?
Genos

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
No it isn't easily scratched... but it can... ( and I did...)
Frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline StuartR

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 04:46:20 AM »
No screen protector for me. I'm careful to use only the fleshy tip of my finger on the screen. It helps, of course, to keep your fingernails properly trimmed and smooth.

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
Is this screen similar to those used in car multimedia systems?
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
Is this screen similar to those used in car multimedia systems?

Almost 99% of multimedia car navigation systems are now on capacitive touch screens... This is resistive, is more flexible as capacitive!

... It helps, of course, to keep your fingernails properly trimmed and smooth.
Personally, I cannot sing if I have big fingernails... ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Michael R

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
Hi Michael

Pleased that you're getting it fixed,at no or minimum cost to you I hope

Alan

Hello Alan.  Thanks to the excellent service from A&C Hamilton, my dealer in the UK and Yamaha UK, a decision was made to repair the Genos at no additional cost to me!,

Michael
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:09:51 PM by Michael R »

Offline alans

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »
Hi Michael

Thanks for updating us, I am really pleased that you will have your Genos repaired at no cost to you,its good when Yamaha and the dealer can sort this for you.
An unfortunate experience but all turned out well in the end

Hope you will soon be reunited with your keyboard

Alan

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 01:08:41 AM »
. And perhaps USB 3.x support. But I have to say that I've been very pleased with the touch response of the Genos screen. It's the best of any of the capacitive screens I've used. Much better than the one on the Korg Kronos or even the Yamaha Montage.

Is it really necessary to upgrade to USB 3.0?
I tested copying a 400Mb Audio Wave file from USB to USER in Genos and then doing the opposite. I set the timer for each operation.
And surprisingly I only took 31 seconds to copy 400Mb from USB into GENOS. The average copy speed is 12.9Mb / s - QUICKLY is 10 times faster than the Tyros 5

I'll do it again and shoot the video for you.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Filippo

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:50:22 PM by Filippo »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 03:56:40 AM »
Filippo

The screen protector is custom made for a specific tablet:  "Barnes & Noble NOOK HD+ 9"

I would check to see if the size is the same or similar as the Genos or if it can be cut to fit Genos . . . .

If you end up installing, please let me know, i am interested.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
Hi Al,

It is far safer to purchase screen protector custom made for Genos if you prefer to install one.

An example of these custom screen protectors for Genos (US$14.87 from Germany):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Protector-for-YAMAHA-GENOS-Keyboard/192384743879?hash=item2ccb0639c7:g:cfMAAOSwvTpaJbcx

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
Paul,
thanks for the advice.    Yes, I fully agree.  I already explored the link you provided and was about to order.  However, I have been waiting because they also have a bundle that includes the screen protector and an iPad holder for Genos.  However, the current iPad holder they include apparently cannot hold an iPad Pro 12.9 in portrait mode.   I was told that they are working on that . . . . .

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Thecooltool

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »
Hi Al,

It is far safer to purchase screen protector custom made for Genos if you prefer to install one.

An example of these custom screen protectors for Genos (US$14.87 from Germany):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Protector-for-YAMAHA-GENOS-Keyboard/192384743879?hash=item2ccb0639c7:g:cfMAAOSwvTpaJbcx

Thanks,
Paul

I bought a protective film from them and it was scratched, as if it had already been used. For me it's little things, but maybe someone can be very upset.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »

That one above is from Frank, MusikCiity. He uses this forum. You should ask him, he will prob.send you another. I use the same one, but it's a little bubbly ..but OK. All the protectors easy peel off. I use their vol know black surround and their usb opening protector. Bit expensive but there is nothing else tailor made.Option is to cut your own out of something else!

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Tankdave

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 02:26:10 AM »
The one they sent me was scratched too, they are not deep but there's lots of them, bugs me all the same.

The protector works though so I shall keep it in place
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:13:18 PM by Tankdave »

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
I am using the Ipad Mini screen guard film. The length is exact size. Only the height of the film was little longer. So cut the film around 0.5 inch from both sides. And it fits perfect now. The only small issue - there is a hole in the screen guard for the home button of ipad. No problem for me. It still covers 99% of the screen exactly

Regards

Anand

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
9th April 2018

I purchased the thinnest plastic sheet material to cover my GENOS from dust (I do not like to use fabric material) and from this material I cut a piece to put on the GENOS LCD Display.

First I cleaned the Genos LCD Display with Screen Cleaner.

If anyone is interested in the cut piece to put on your GENOS LCD DISPLAY I can send by regular mail at a cost of USD 7.50 (for CANDA & USA) and USD 9.50 (for International shipment) to cover postage + packing the material adequately so it does not get damaged when you receive at your end. Please note the plastic material will be approximately 7 3/4" x 4.03" to cover the internal portion of the LCD Screen NOT THE WHOLE PORTION of the LCD SCREEN.

Please see attached pictures.

If anyone is interested please send me a private e-mail giving your full address and payment thr' PAY PAL.

Regards
Oz

[attachment deleted by admin]