Author Topic: Wasted space....?  (Read 16795 times)

Offline advid

Wasted space....?
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
..just looking at the left and right layout...looks too cramped on the left side and far too  much wasted space on the right.....
Designers   ....3 out of 10...could do better.....

I thought my T4 layout  was not great (compared to my Korg) but this 'takes the biscuit'....

Offline EileenL

Re: Wasted space....?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
Maybe you don't like the layout but it is very usable and easy to navigate. Do you have Genos.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
This layout is very comfortable and "airy" ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »
..just looking at the left and right layout...looks too cramped on the left side and far too  much wasted space on the right.....

I'd admit that was my first impression.

I've only had the chance to play a Genos a few times, but what I actually found was that it felt a lot bigger than I expected, certainly compared to the S770. I had to reach quite far to get to the R1/2/3 buttons. I'm not saying this is a bad thing - I'll agree with Vali that it felt much more "airy" than I had thought it would.
Genos

Marcus

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:28:28 PM »

I thought my T4 layout  was not great (compared to my Korg) but this 'takes the biscuit'....

Easy fix, sell your Yamaha, buy Korg. Then you can be happy in a Korg forum with your 10 out of 10 Korg.

Marcus

vanray

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
To me its Obvious
this wasted space , will be replaced with a "SPECIAL-FEATURE"
when the Genos-2 is launched.

Offline metcam

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »

I don't know why? But I like my GENOS more and more every new day.

In my opinion ...Designers..... 12 out of 10..  :)

Regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline advid

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
Easy fix, sell your Yamaha, buy Korg. Then you can be happy in a Korg forum with your 10 out of 10 Korg.

Marcus

....I have a Tyros 4 ......AND a Korg PA900....the Korg (for gigs) is far easier to use when you have to 'Think on your feet'....

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
How about this design?

;D
Regards, Michael

Offline Oldden

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Hi,
I suppose if you were desperate, you could use the space on the right to glue on a beer can holder or an ash tray.
Oldden

DonM

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
It would be a good spot to put some kind of mouse holder for laptop.  I did this on a Ketron once and it was perfect.
Or, if the lack of vocal harmonizer demos is indicative of having the same old one as before, you could put your external harmonizer there.  They have gotten better and smaller!

Offline advid

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
.....with a bit more thought they could have made room for a second screen for putting up lyrics (or music).....that would be ideal for a gigging musician.....

Marcus

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
.....with a bit more thought they could have made room for a second screen for putting up lyrics (or music).....that would be ideal for a gigging musician.....

There is a lot Yamaha could of did differently, but overall most love their Genos, especially the sound quality. Remember too, maybe an empty space, but I am sure inside the Genos the space isn't wasted.

Marcus

Offline StuartR

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:05:23 AM »
Hi,
I suppose if you were desperate, you could use the space on the right to glue on a beer can holder or an ash tray.
Oldden

I find it's a nice space on which to set my smartphone 😁

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 02:58:51 AM »
I don't know why? But I like my GENOS more and more every new day.

In my opinion ...Designers..... 12 out of 10..  :)

Regards.

Yes, I’m more in tune with what you’ve written.

I just have to laugh at all the naysayers finding what they don’t like on Genos.

....I have a Tyros 4 ......AND a Korg PA900....the Korg (for gigs) is far easier to use when you have to 'Think on your feet'....

I had a Tyros 4 and 5.  I agree when I had my Pa3x, I preferred the Korg for gigs and being quicker in a live situation.   HOWEVER, Genos is a different animal and I find for live play it’s on par with my Pa4x.  Yea, there’s something to be desired with the vocal harmonizer, but as DonM wrote you can always mount an external unit on the open space.     

I use registrations for everything so a little longer reach for R1,R2,R3 is not really an issue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:00:16 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

...... I just have to laugh at all the naysayers finding what they don’t like on Genos.

???  :o   :-[

That comment is most likely meant as humor, but ..... with all my humble respect ....
I may disagree about many things in life, but I would never laugh at people that have different view at things than me.
The "yessayers" that never ever will admit anything can be changed or done other ways, what about them?
Peoples taste and needs are different, and if Genos should be perfect for everyone, it would be no less than a miracle. No new updates or next models needed. ;)

Turning back to topic, some find wasted / free space useful. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWCuydzt2MI
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Will49

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
Marcus. Perhaps he doesn't even want a Korg, and prefers a Yamaha... and would like it even better if only if the panel layout was a bit different - which, indeed, might be on Genos 2! 😊

I just have to laugh at all the naysayers finding what they don’t like on Genos.
Hi Stephenm52. Without the so-called "naysayers" some things would hardly ever get improved. If every customer on the planet said that they were 100% happy with something (be it a car, keyboard or whatever), and never pointed anything out that might need improving, then the manufacturers would hardly want to spend any money trying to improve something that the consumers think is already 100% perfect! 😉

Kind regards,
Will

Offline metcam

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

If you know how use "Registrations memory" than on giging  is ideal only one  screan on Genos.
Once when I call "Registration memory"  I use Screen only for lyrics/text. I am giging and one screen  is already  IDEAL.

Regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline panos

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
I sometimes wonder if two different colored rows of buttons above a keyboard's keys asigned to user's preferences would be any usefull while playing for time saving.
But then again,I don't know anything about manufacturing keyboards, so let it be  :D

keynote

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
The Genos is aesthetically pleasing to look at in my opinion. The LCD lighted buttons are nice and bright and intuitively positioned and the touch screen display is absolutely gorgeous. The Genos 2 will likely have a slightly different layout but I can find no real fault with the current Genos layout. 8) I use the vacant space on the right to place a mouse pad and mouse when working in conjunction with my desktop computer, which is quite often I might add. If Yamaha fills in the space on the right side with protruding knobs or more buttons, etc., I wouldn't be able to use a mouse now would I. ;) So for me the current Genos is practically perfect in every way except for the software bugs we have encountered. The bugs will hopefully be corrected in the soon to be released software update along with any added software enhancements. Something to look forward to anyway.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:26:31 PM by keynote »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »

Gunnar Jonny,

You are righ the comment was meant as humor, not trying to insult anyone.  :)

Will,

Good point you make having some dis-satisfied customers help make a product better.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Will49, Gunnar Jonny

Offline Mjm

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 03:57:16 AM »
To me its Obvious
when the Genos-2 is launched.

I agree. I assumed that Yamaha left that space blank on purpose, so that they could add extra buttons or whatever,  when they come out with the Genos 2,3, etc.

Regards,

Mark

Marcus

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 05:42:50 AM »
Marcus. Perhaps he doesn't even want a Korg, and prefers a Yamaha... and would like it even better if only if the panel layout was a bit different - which, indeed, might be on Genos 2! ...
Kind regards,
Will

Perhaps you are correct, he doesn't want a Korg, and prefers a Yamaha.

...."the Korg (for gigs) is far easier to use when you have to 'Think on your feet'"....
...."I thought my T4 layout  was not great (compared to my Korg)"....
...."apart from the superb editing features and total way you  can alter and modify 
     just about 'everyhing' using the Korg O.S. to produce the style you want I found that
     the Korg seems to produce a more 'alive' and dynamic  sound with its built in styles...
     You really feel sometimes like it's a  'real' group or band playing with you..
     I never seem to get that  with my Tyros...the styles are more sedate and lack that reality that comes across in the Korg..
     .. This is perhaps more noticeable when playing at gigs...the Korg seems to put that 'sound and feel' over to the  audience"....
...."No offence meant to anyone on this forum...I still have my Tyros 4...and I agree the 3000  was indeed a game changer for me and then
     my Tyros another massive game changer... BUT..the thing that really changed my outlook on arranger keyboards was my change
     (after  4 previous Yamaha keyboard over  15 years) buying a Korg PA900...
''''"Don't want to start yet another Korg/Yamaha war on here but to me the PA900 does 'everything' I need... for both home and gigs....
     The Tyros is great for home recording but for 'live' ...give me my Korg"....
...."BUT for live play Korgs are the way to go"...
...."I've now got a Korg PA900 and boy does it ''speak' to me in ways that Yamahas just don't....it's alive"...
...."My Tyros is now leaning against a wall in a bedroom upstairs...a pity but I'll not use Yamaha again"....
...."I recently - after seriously thinking of buying a Tyros5 76 - decided to go down a whole new pathway and purchased a Korg PA900"...
...."the Korg is a 'real' hard hitting -  'in your face' keyboard - ideal for real live performances...in another world from the beautiful 'play safe at home' Yamaha  styles"...
...."I can't stop playing on the PA900 - not because it is new but because it feels like I've come alive as a musician after years of my old PSR 8000 then my PSR 3000 and then my Tyros 4"
...."NOTHING comes near to the 'LIVE' feeling that the Korg gives me"....
...."i've still got my Tyros but it's not even being used now....
when Korg finally come out with their next keyboard - I'll put both the Tyros and PA900 in for p/ex and it will be Korg from now on"....
...."a Korg..a Korg...my Tyros for a Korg"....
...."I finally decide ...NO.. and have ordered a KORG PA600"....

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »
To me its Obvious
when the Genos-2 is launched......

My guess is that the "wasted space" at right side is because of the 76 keybed.
If 61, that space would not be there, so maybe 61 key version later?
Besides of that, who knows what's beneath the "vasted" surface?
Maybe all the Revo drums ..  ::) ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline panos

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
My friends I had a problem with multipads but I think you can help me here.
I want a multipad that 
pads 1 & 3 will have the sound Korg! and
pads 2 & 4 will have the sound Pa!

I am writing a tune that it goes like this:
korg!-pa!..... korg!-pa!.....korg!-pa!
the notes are sol-do....sol-do....sol-do
Not much as a composition yet but everybody got to start from somewhere :-\
Marcus help pls!!  ;D

Marcus

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
I want a multipad that 

Marcus help pls!!  ;D

For once, I have no answer. I cannot help you add Korg sounds to Yamaha multipads. I also would lack inspiration to help compose multipads with Korg sounds and Korg voices.

All I can offer or suggest is perhaps refer to a Korg forum. Maybe one can find Korg inspiration there.

Maybe best solution is to compose and create Korg multipads on a Korg itself. Why consider the inferior Yamaha product, especially trying to play those 10 out of 10 Korg arranger sounds on a Yamaha or a mere genos?

Please accept my apology. The genos such a waste of space in my studio. Oh why did I order two? Man, I could of had a Korg or two.
Marcus

Offline soryt

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
This message and reply's are a waste of space , Time for a "Dislike" Button

;)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
What marcus and panos do here looks very much like spamming the forum.  >:(
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline SciNote

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
I want a multipad that 

Marcus help pls!!  ;D

I don't know about that, but around 1990, the Yamaha PSR-47 had two drum pads that went "Ha!" and "Yeah!"   ;D :P
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline Oldden

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
My Wife used to say I was a waste of space. Probably right.

Oldden

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
Hi

Interesting topic 8)
I don't have a genos but have watched oodles of demos and seen photos.
Before this topic came to post I too noticed a lot of buttons, etc. on the left side of the keyboard.   What I figured was that
because the right hand is always busier than the left, and left hand pretty much freer than the right.  I thought that was a nice
feature for this machine.   If all those buttons were on the right it would be difficult to manipulate them.   
On my tyros 5 they placed the multipads on the left side and on my s970 they are on the right side.   Get used to one and then have
to switch to the other.
I don't know if this is a plausible explanation for all the space on the right. On the tyros 5  The sliders are nicer in the middle where either
the right or left hand or both can manipulate them.   On the demos it looks like the player is reaching over with his right to
manipulate the sliders.  Appeared cumbersome.   Well, just my 2 shekels...

cheers
elaine
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:15:52 PM by motekmusic »
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
The layout of the Genos is really good and easy to use once used to it. The Multi pads can be switched on with little finger, obviously it makes sense to learn to use the left hand for sliders and knobs which comes with practice.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
 :)Hi Eileen,

Please no offense about what am about to say, but am laughing after read your response about the little finger and using
left hand,, after practice.  Maybe its the pain pills after a tooth extraction but I believe you when you say it would take
practice to access those sliders with the left hand only.   For me, it would be a challenge,  I knit, I sew, I crochet and have
used my little finger and consider myself pretty ambidextrous.  not cirque soliel material but have managed very well using
Yamaha keyboard layouts where ever that MP pad is.   So am kind of laughing as envision using one's nose to do that
extra push and sometimes the nose comes in handy , like bobbing for apples.    Again, terribly sorry if this reply is any
way upsetting.   Am very happy for all the Genos users and players and I usually do make a point to upgrade as soon as
a new machine arrives.   I will leave it up to the moderator to keep this post.. And Eileen , I beg your good graces for any
insults or bad words.   You are a fantastic players and contributor.   But this just made me crack up.

yours truly
cheers
elaine

Offline terryB

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
I think the layout of Genos is good. I'm not an expert player, but I, and I notice that most demonstrators tend to use the left hand for button pressing, and this to me is logical, because the right hand is busy with melody, whilst the left hand when using styles, will get breaks between chord changes to perform switching functions.
I wonder if the reason for reason for a new negative post on the Genos is, and as indicated by Marcus, after a period of time with mainly positive Genos posts, we have to have a period of Korg insurgent posts to disrupt the forum.

Cheers
Terry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »
Hi Elaine,
  The nose is a very good idea and I will try it out, but not when I have a cold. ;) I am indead very happy I made someone laugh. You really do have to take these things in your stride and this poor old keyboard has been pulled to pieces on here by many. The amount of bugs it supposedly has we should all be taking Anti Bionics while using it. :D. Hope you are well.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
Thanks Eileen,

I do so appreciate a sense of humor.   Sometimes things seem to strike one as funny.
My post was not to demean the genos in any way,,, it was your way of explaining certain things.
Am so glad am absolved and hope fellow members who read our posts know we go back a long way.

stay well 

truly
cheers
elaine

Offline panos

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
My Wife used to say I was a waste of space. Probably right.

Oldden

Like button is still diasbled and my little finger still searching what the other four are doing,
so...LIKE LIKE LIKE ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:25:32 PM by panos »