Author Topic: Looking for a DAW that keeps Styles and Voices unchanged.  (Read 5573 times)

robfigee

Looking for a DAW that keeps Styles and Voices unchanged.
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »
Hi, I made a recording in which the beginning went totally wrong, but I just went on with the recording, planning to delete the start in Audacity a.s.a the MIDI was converted into WAV.
BUT: I would like to correct the MIDI too
I did not understand how to do it in MixMaster and also experienced that my DAW Mulab lost the instrumentation (no instrument linked to the tracks),  which made it useless.
Does anyone know a DAW that can do this and retain the original Yamaha instrumentation?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:01:47 PM by robfigee »

Offline panos

Re: Looking for a DAW that keeps Styles and Voices unchanged.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
I believe that the voices of the midi file will change whatever DAW you aregoing to use.
Only Yamaha keybords have the same voices and only if both Yamaha keyboards have the same package of voices.
For example if you and I have the same model,lets say S970
and if you have used the indian package of voices to create a midi file,
when i will play your midi file on my keyboard which doesn't have the indian package of voices,
then my s970 will automatically choose  those voices that are close to the original,
but not the same because it does not have the original voices.
Exactly the same will do every DAW (Ableton,Cubase,Fl studio)
or a midi player program (windows media player,synthesia)
It will use its own voices for the midi file, so you will have to revoice all instruments to what you like.

There are many programs that can read midi files and extract every channel individually so you can edit each part and correct ii as you wish (bass,melody,drums etc)
but its a hard thing to do.
For each single note you must correct up to 16 channels.
And not only the notation but volume,reverb,chorus as well.
One single "note" of a midi file may have too many commands and parameters  that follow that "note".

I see that mulab is maybe close to how fl studio works, if you want to get into that trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFAIitT5Vc0

robfigee

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
Thanks, Panos, for your fast reaction. It is clear I had better start another version of my recording than bother with DAW's. At least I know how to correct the wav file in Audacity.
Thanks anyhow,

Rob

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:31:51 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but it sounds kind of like what I do. 

I start by recording the song to my USB and then open the midi file in Sonar (my DAW) and have my Yamaha Keyboard midi'd to the computer.  Using the appropriate .INS file (for me 970) I can manipulate the midi data, change voices, volumes, panning etc.  Some of the effects I can't manipulate but I can do most things.  I can certainly just leave them alone and they'll play as I recorded them on the midi (which sounds like what you wanted?).

Then when I have it the way I want it, I play the midi file in Sonar (which is being received by the Yamaha Keyboard) and have the audio outputs of the Yamaha keyboard routed to the input of my soundcard and record the audio in Sonar.  So the audio is being recorded by Sonar simultaneously to the midi being played by Sonar. 

Not sure if that helps but that's my process.  You can hear some of our work at www.outspakethebrave.com  All of the songs had their foundations from Yamaha keyboard styles.
NASAMike

The following users thanked this post: pjd