PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-E Series

PSR-E463 and PSR-EW410

<< < (2/6) > >>

SciNote:
Well, dang!  That came up fast!  With the E453, as I recall, we first found out about it through a video posted by a third party.  The video just panned around the top of the keyboard while a demo tune was playing.  Now, with the E463, it's already showing up on Yamaha's website!  Here's a link to some specs from the U.S. Yamaha site...

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e463/specs.html#product-tabs

So, yes, there is now the sampling feature, and there is now the USB audio recording directly to a flash drive.  These are interesting features.  The sampling looks like it will be CD quality (16-bit stereo, 44.1 kHz), so it should sound better than the old Casio SK-1!  Also, the specs imply that the accompaniment track of the 6-track multi-track sequencer can now be a DJ/Groove pattern, not just a style.

With the live control knobs, it does look like the filter, reverb/chorus, and DSP can be selected to apply to either the main keyboard or the background (which I assume means the style).  But can it be applied to both simultaneously?  For example, can you set the filter to modify the main and dual voices, then select it to modify the style, while still saving the parameters you set for the main and dual voices?  And then, can you save it all to a registration?  The ability to apply reverb, chorus, and DSP to a style or drum track sounds nice, if I understand this function correctly.

But look at what has not changed.  The general number of voices, as Michael said.  The 48 note polyphony.  The number of registrations -- still at 8 banks of 4.  The number of chorus and DSP types, though there are now 12 reverb types instead of 10.  It looks like there will still only be one button to do a fill in and change from A to B or B to A parts of a style.  The sequencer still has about 19000 notes, though that has never been a problem for me.  The number of expansion styles also stays the same, at 10.  Still 26 types of harmony.  And still 150 types of arpeggio, though it appears there will be more flexibility in how they can be used.

So, what remains to be seen... Will the DSP functions be better integrated to the registrations?  With the E453, the registrations can save the DSP type and knob values, but not the on/off status of the DSP feature.  The only way around this (that I know of) is a "work-around" where you use the low-pass-filter DSP effect, with the effect set to allow maximum frequencies pass-through, for registrations where you don't want any noticeable DSP effect.  This way, when you use the keyboard, you turn on the DSP effect, and it will work for registrations where you want it, but not produce any noticeable effect for registrations where you don't want it.  Will the E463 finally save the on/off status of the DSP feature in a registration?  And will the Leslie/rotary speaker effect be better?

Will the sustain pedal finally have the ability to sustain the main and split parts of the keyboard?  Will the sequencer have any editing capabilities?  Based on what I've seen so far, I doubt it, but we'll see!

EDIT:

I don't know how long this link will be active, but this shows a more detailed close-up of the panel (click on the small picture of the keyboard to expand it)...

https://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-psr-e463-portable-keyboard.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=yam-psre463&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItaqR9KX12AIVgjVpCh0CEQ0rEAYYASABEgLFB_D_BwE

AnupamEnosh:
@Bob
Right now only the PSR-I455 in PSR E-series lineup, has this "sostenuto" function, where the pedal affects the Split Voice on the keyboard. And of course we can tweak the release value of main voice at the same time, to make both the parts sustained.
IMO the PSR-E453/EW400 were a major upgrade to the E4xx series lineup, but E-463/EW410 are a small upgrade, and owners of E453/EW400 keyboards would not feel discontented or outdated with the launch of these models.
But yes, if the LCD panel has been changed, then it is a good step, I have observed visibility issues in outdoors, where there is direct sunlight on the screen.

SciNote:

--- Quote from: pquenin on January 25, 2018, 08:45:15 PM ---Yes, I have just seen these new models on Yamaha Europe site, I can't believe it because I have just bought a PSR-E453 !
The E463 is the same keyboard with few new features, appart these that look interesting :
- Quick Sampling function - 5 sample (1 Key Follow type + 4 One shot/Loop type) Max 9.6 sec/sample
- USB Audio Recorder - 80 minutes. (.wav)
But I got mine for 240€, I think the new model will be around 350€...

The Casio CTK-4400 that is way cheaper has the sampling feature, and all the samples can be "follow type" or "one shot", so a bit better than the yamaha...

--- End quote ---

Are you sure about that CTK-4400?  I checked out the Casio site and looked at the info for that model, and I didn't see anything about a sampling feature.  They do have a new model, the CTX-700, which they're describing as having the sound of a keyboard costing hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars more.  The specs on it seem pretty good, but it looks like mainly a preset instrument.  It has chorus and reverb selections, as well as split/layering and octave shifting, but there is no mention of filter or envelope control, and the specs indicate that any DSP or delay effects are preset within an individual sound.  A Google search turned up a price of about $175, so that's sounds good.

When I look at the picture of the E463, it looks like Yamaha used essentially the same "shell" as the E453, based on where all of the buttons and controls are placed.  But they moved some of them.  For example, what was the DSP control on the E453 is now the live-control knob "target" selector button, determining whether certain control knob features will affect the main/dual voices, or the background.  And the DSP button is now moved to the cluster of buttons to the left of the display.  Yamaha also did this with the E433 and E443 -- same basic shell, just slightly different layout of the functions, and a different color for the case.

I'm surprised so much of this info is available and even on Yamaha's website if the keyboard won't start shipping for four months yet.

SeaGtGruff:

--- Quote from: SciNote on January 26, 2018, 09:01:32 AM ---Also, the specs imply that the accompaniment track of the 6-track multi-track sequencer can now be a DJ/Groove pattern, not just a style.
--- End quote ---

That's been possible ever since patterns were introduced on the PSR-E433. The problem is that you can't convert your recording from a User Song to a Standard MIDI File (SMF) if you've recorded a pattern to the accompaniment track. (By the way, I approve of the switch in terminology. "Accompaniment." "Backing." I know which one is easier for me to say!)

--- Quote from: SciNote on January 26, 2018, 09:01:32 AM ---With the live control knobs, it does look like the filter, reverb/chorus, and DSP can be selected to apply to either the main keyboard or the background (which I assume means the style).  But can it be applied to both simultaneously?  For example, can you set the filter to modify the main and dual voices, then select it to modify the style, while still saving the parameters you set for the main and dual voices?  And then, can you save it all to a registration?  The ability to apply reverb, chorus, and DSP to a style or drum track sounds nice, if I understand this function correctly.
--- End quote ---

You should be able to modify everything at the same time by switching functions-- but only the selected functions can be controlled live with the knobs. It's been that way simce the PSR-E403, except that up until now only the cutoff and resonance could be modified for the accompaniment. Since we've never been able to save the cutoff and resonance for the accompaniment in the registrations, I'm guessing this hasn't changed, but we'll have to wait and see. Being able to add effects to the accompaniment sounds nice in theory-- and works well when modifying the cutoff/resonance while a pattern is playing-- but if we have no way to set the parameters (volume, panning, etc.) for each individual track of the accompaniment, then I'm not sure I see the value in saving the knob settings for the accompaniment, since it would appear to be more for live performance situations anyway.

--- Quote from: SciNote on January 26, 2018, 09:01:32 AM ---there are now 12 reverb types instead of 10.
--- End quote ---

I missed that! But it's possible that the "two additional" reverb types have been there all along, since XGlite has always supported a certain number of reverb types and chorus types. However, some of them haven't been selectable through the Function menu and could only be accessed either via MIDI SysEx (using the values listed in the MIDI Reference) or by choosing a Music Database entry that used one of them (in which case the Function menu would display "---" instead of a number). So they may have simply given us easier access to two reverb types that were always there.

--- Quote from: SciNote on January 26, 2018, 09:01:32 AM ---So, what remains to be seen... Will the DSP functions be better integrated to the registrations?  With the E453, the registrations can save the DSP type and knob values, but not the on/off status of the DSP feature.
--- End quote ---

Now that I finally bought a PSR-EW400, I plan to investigate how that works.

pquenin:
for the new reverb types, I think they have aligned the E463 with the E363 that have these news reverbs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version