Author Topic: How to layer sounds  (Read 10576 times)

ekurburski

How to layer sounds
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:01:35 PM »

Years ago, back in the 60'd when playing omb organ gigs a favorite technique was to simply add more stops to a sound to build up volume and body to the sound. Max sound possible was all stops on!.  Now it seems we only have two right hand voices and when combining them they don't necessarly get louder. Any work around n this that I'm missing?

Years

Offline Fred Smith

Re: How to layer sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
Years ago, back in the 60'd when playing omb organ gigs a favorite technique was to simply add more stops to a sound to build up volume and body to the sound. Max sound possible was all stops on!.  Now it seems we only have two right hand voices and when combining them they don't necessarly get louder. Any work around n this that I'm missing?

Use the volume control knob?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
 ???duh.... not quite the same Fred.  For one thing each stop has unique tamber combining  to make even more use of  tamber.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
Earl, there is a volume slider for each of those voices. Also, you can use the onboard voice creator program, add some effects and this will have a dramatic impact on the overall sound effectiveness.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »
Earl
You can do almost anything on these arrangers if you take the time but it normally involves some off line advance work and storage like in a registration. That contrasts with those of us who grew up with instruments where changes were more designed to be ‘on the fly’, like your organ. That is one of the trade offs with arrangers, you can do so much more, but you need to be prepared to work at it in advance.
I am impressed by the work some people on the forum do to prepare for gigs - edited styles, full banks of song specific registrations for a whole gig, play lists tied in to lead sheets on Laptops, etc. I played many gigs in my playing life where I had only met the other band members for the first time when we turned up and preparation consisted of - ‘Moon River,, Bb’ about 2 seconds before we started playing it. Sometimes not even that much info!
Mike

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »
As Gary mentions, when using the organ flutes you can increase the different stops on the screen.

Also, using registrations, I always set my accompaniment volume to around 80%, then use a volume pedal to swell the right hand voices, especially  for solos. This works well, especially through PA systems...

Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
On the PSR line, from the panel you can layer 2 voices (R1 + R2).

On Tyros + Genos, you can layer 3 voices (R1 + R2 + R3).

There is also a trick which involves sending MIDI out back to MIDI in which lets you use song channels to layer up to 16 voices.
Genos

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
Look into the mixing console. If you put a voice into R1 then work your way through the tabs in the mixing console you can change or enhance almost everything. Reverb, Chorus, brightness, Octave change, etc. Magnificent button to press on a rainy day!  ;) Try it, you may like it. Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

ekurburski

agree Mike
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »
 Yes, I remember doing things on the fly!  One of the main reasons I've never yet played a gig on an arranger (that's going to change very soon!).  I've never taken the time to set up the kb to play a gig!  I figure the first nh show will take uo about 15 tunes, soo,,,, I'll build my first gig disk with 15 tunes ready to go,   Then I just need to come up with a new show each month.  When I was working b4 I had my tunes all on 5x8 index cards and would simply shuffel through them, picking out the next tune as I went.  figure that most of the tunes I will do will be the same old familiar ones so it shouldn't be to difficult to build the play lists.

Earl

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
On Tyros + Genos, you can layer 3 voices (R1 + R2 + R3).

But I think it's still only two voices which are layered together, right? That is, it's a 3-way split-- Left | Right1+Right2 | Right3.

There is also a trick which involves sending MIDI out back to MIDI in which lets you use song channels to layer up to 16 voices.

I love that trick! Using the keyboard as though it were an external MIDI controller lets you access the keyboard's full potentials as a multitimbral sound module. :)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
But I think it's still only two voices which are layered together, right? That is, it's a 3-way split-- Left | Right1+Right2 | Right3.

I'm pretty sure that depending on how you set the upper split point, you can have it both ways - either R1 + R2 | R3, or R1 + R2 + R3.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:57:52 PM by DerekA »
Genos