Author Topic: Where do other Forum menbers keep their modulation Wheel?  (Read 14171 times)

Offline YammyFan

Where do other Forum menbers keep their modulation Wheel?
« on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:23 AM »
I've never taken much notice of where my modulation wheel is  set when I turn off my keyboard each night. Maybe, I should return it to the totally down position. Maybe, sometimes it get moved when I remove the  cloth  cover each  morning. Perhaps this would account for the fact that,  sometimes, each morning, a style which sounded very agreeable on the previous night, sounds only fair to passing.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Where do other Forum menbers keep their modulation Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:02 AM »
My modulation wheel remains in the center at all times, when not in use, on my Tyros 4.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:53:40 AM »
Thanks, Roger.  Also,  I see that you show the instruments you play. I would like to show that I play PSR 970 and Psr 750. How can I do that? Also it would be handy if other members showed their instruments.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:11:44 AM »
You can edit your forum profile and make the desired modifications and additions, such as adding the instruments you play or adding an Avatar, YammyFan.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
I did it  !!!  By George, I did it!! I now have an Avatar.!! Many thanks. Yammyfan.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
I see the two keyboards you've added to your profile, YammyFan; however, I don't see your Avatar.  If you need help adding an Avatar, please let me know.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline ticktock

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:08 AM »
Hi YammyFan. I also have the s970.

A side note on page 39 of owner manual states that the modulation wheel should be at the down position before start playing.

Ted

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:42:47 AM »
Hi YammyFan. I also have the s970.

A side note on page 39 of owner manual states that the modulation wheel should be at the down position before start playing.

Ted

It's correct, it must be at the down position

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Modulation wheel should be off with the wheel at the bottom. Using this produces a kind of vibrato which will not sound good on some voices.

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
Although this guy uses the Joystick of a Roland keyboard, explains the usage of the modulation and pitch bent wheels nice and simple.
(Many keyboards instead of 2 wheels use a joystick that works the same way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSYIk2yLft0

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:05:08 PM »
For flat response modulation wheel has to be full off, which is full down. But the equivalent 'off' position for the pitch bend wheel is in the middle.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
I remember one time when I started to play, and the keyboard sounded like it had the flu or something. It took me some seconds to realize my wheel was not in position :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

DonM

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
I remember one time when I started to play, and the keyboard sounded like it had the flu or something. It took me some seconds to realize my wheel was not in position :)
Everybody has done that at least once!  Another advantage of a Joystick!

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
I often use a foot pedal for pitch bend and I was once jamming with other players and my keyboards seemed to start acting wierdly. I had not noticed that I had inadvertently knocked the pedal into full down position. I was using a full keyboard setting and a controller keyboard so everything shifted about a tone and I could not work out for the life of me why it was all acting wierd. I ended up playing several tunes where I was playing in different keys to everyone else get it to sound right. Hard to describe how hard that is when people are shouting keys or chords or asking you to take a solo break all on the fly. I must have sounded pretty bad. Felt a real fool when I eventually noticed after I finished playing, what I had done.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
Thats another nice feature to mess around and feel that something really bad is happening here !!;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Modulation wheel should be off with the wheel at the bottom. Using this produces a kind of vibrato which will not sound good on some voices.
Thanks, Eileen.  So, I think that after I have finished playing each day I should make sure the modulation wheel is in the bottom position (not midway]

DonM

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »
Thanks, Eileen.  So, I think that after I have finished playing each day I should make sure the modulation wheel is in the bottom position (not midway]

It should ALWAYS be in the bottom position except for when you are using it to modulate a sound while playing.

Offline kpblues

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »
Glad this is being answered as it's happened to me and today again was squeaky.

I thought Yamaha had 'done an Apple' by altering the hardware making
the product obsolete so we all have to buy a new one !

I'll keep my mod wheel down

Thanks guys  :)

Kelvin