Author Topic: Genos with HS8 speaker on the floor  (Read 7716 times)

Offline pchan

Genos with HS8 speaker on the floor
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
Is a pair of HS8 with Subwoofer HS8S better than the original Genos GNS-MS01? Kindly note that due to space constraint, I would have to place all speakers on the floor. My room size is about 13x12 ft. Your kind advice is appreciated.

Offline zionip

Re: Genos with HS8 speaker on the floor
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Hi pchan,

I have a pair of HS8 and the GNS-MS01 for the Genos in the middle of a room size 11 feet x 20 feet.  The Genos main outputs are connected to a 16-channel mixer, which outputs to a Radial ProD2 stereo direct box, which connects to the HS8 speakers with XLR cables.

I tried different combinations of HS8 placements, and found that they work the best at ear level, slightly facing inward for optimal performance and stereo separation.  HS8 placement on the floor affects stereo image, separation, and complicates sonic characteristics, does not justify their high cost.  I did not purchase the subwoofer HS8S because the HS8 pair already have decent bass.  I purchased a pair of heavy duty speaker stands with adjustable height for optimal placement of the pair of HS8.

With some tweaking of main compressor values on the Genos, the GNS-MS01 performs admirably, with the advantage of space saving, and heavier bass than the HS8 speakers, which are known for their flat frequency response.

Photo showing HS8 placement right above the satellite speakers of the GNS-MS01:

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:55:20 AM by zionip »

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Lloyd E

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
The Genos speakers (I have them) work very well after being "tweaked'. Go to Mixer>Master (top right of pg.)and set output to 100. Make sure "ON" is selected and save this setting to user 1. The  Genos speakers really sound great now. Set bass control to near maximum.   Lloyd
NOTE: You can set other speakers using this method as well but 100 will be too high for bigger speakers. Simply use the above method and after making settings save in
user 2,3,4,or 5.

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
I have a detailed post on the compressor setup on Genos for the GNS-MS01 speakers to make it sound better:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41795.msg329890.html#msg329890

Thanks,
Paul

Offline pchan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
Thank you zionip and Lloyd E for your informative replies. Based on the facts highlighted by both of you, I would likely be using GNS-MS01 for my new Genos.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »
Placing speakers on the floor will produce a boomy bass & colour the overall sound, (I could explain the reason).
Lift the speakers minimum 12" or better higher. Place away from room walls & corners as this will just muddy the sound.
Worth spending time with placement as small movements can make big listening changes.

graham uk
DGX670

vanray

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
I have a detailed post on the compressor setup on Genos for the GNS-MS01 speakers to make it sound better:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41795.msg329890.html#msg329890

Thanks,
Paul

the Compressor is Faulty , and doesn't add compression
it only adds more volume, did you not know this ?

Offline maartenb

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
Is a pair of HS8 with Subwoofer HS8S better than the original Genos GNS-MS01?
Yes. Absolutely yes.

I would have to place all speakers on the floor.
No. Absolutely no. Don't put your speakers on the floor, especially not monitors like the HS8.

If you want the smallest footprint for your speakers, go for the GNS-MS01. You cannot go wrong with them. I had the TRS-MS04 and they sounded fine. Make sure you set the compressor and EQ to "GNS-MS01".

However, if sound quality is your prime motive, put the HS8 on speaker stands, so they are at ear level. You can't tell me you don't have the space for speaker stands...  ;) If space is really tight, you can safely go for the HS7 (on stands). These are smaller, sound good, and the lesser bass is fully compensated by the HS8s sub.

Maarten

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
I read most of this, I have GENOS and TYROS 5, I also have Tyros 5 speakers.
I'm going to buy more speakers for Genos.
Someone help me advice is to buy it? Or buy HS8?
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

tyrosman

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
you can also get Yamaha MSP 5 speakers if you look Around :)

Offline Stijn

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
When I bought my Tyros 4, I wanted the warm and full sound that I heard in the showroom.
The dealer adviced me to try out some Wharfedale Titan 8 Active MKII speakers.
Powerful: 180W RMS,  and no need for a sub woofer.
I have been using them ever since.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/product-detail.php?pid=3

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »

Get the best near field studio monitors you can afford, compatible with your playing room size. You won't be disappointed in the sonic presence that the Genos can deliver.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:03:11 PM by StuartR »