Author Topic: Installing Tyros5 MFD On Genos?  (Read 13229 times)

Offline Bob88

Installing Tyros5 MFD On Genos?
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
   My computer recognizes the Tyros MFD I want to install but it does not come up on the Genos Screen.

Offline alans

Re: Installing Tyros5 MFD On Genos?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
Ho Bob

This may help,from a previous post

Music Finder Files

Music Finder files are converted to Registration Banks in the Genos and can be used immediately.

1. Save the Music Finder file to a USB stick.
2. Connect the USB stick to the Genos and select Playlist.
3. Click on the File Selection Box and chose the respective Music Finder file from the USB stick.

Every entry is converted to a Registration Bank with the name of the Music Finder record. 

A Playlist File is also created and saved to the USB stick.

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi Bob,

I posted a message on Nov 13, 2017 with photo links to help Darren (Del 123) import Tyros 5 music finder database to Genos, which you may find useful (Reply #44 on discussion thread "Drive Letters on Genos"):
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40979.msg322667.html#msg322667

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:49:30 PM by zionip »

Offline Bob88

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:33 AM »
Hi Paul:   Tyros 5 Music Finder now installed on my Genos. Your instructions and photos
were most helpful.  Thank you. Bob

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:41:05 AM »
Hi Bob,

Glad you made it.

Thanks,
Paul

phillipwang

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »
Hi Paul,

I experienced the same problem like Bob had.   I also tried to access the link you provided in your reply.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40979.msg322667.html#msg322667

But it didn't work.  Web site returned that the link is not valid.   Can you post it again?  many thanks.

BR/Phillip

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
Hi Paul,

I experienced the same problem like Bob had.   I also tried to access the link you provided in your reply.

But it didn't work.  Web site returned that the link is not valid.   Can you post it again?  many thanks.

BR/Phillip

It looks like the old thread was archived / deleted from the forum.  So I now re-post the message below (at the time I posted the message, I did not boot my Genos while pressing the 'Break' + 'Ending II' + 'Ending III' buttons together and pressed OTS 4 button to capture the Genos screen contents - I just took photos of the screen for the sake of simple illustration):

I downloaded a sample Tyros 5 Music Finder database file "Tyros5MF.mfd" and copied it to the USB stick to be used as USB1 port on the front of the Genos.

To make it simple, unplug all USB drive sticks from the Genos, just plug in your USB drive stick with your backed up Tyros5MF into the USB port on the front of the Genos.  Then power on Genos, the USB stick on the front of  your Genos will be USB1.

I did the following to import the Tyros5MF.mfd file into a playlist with the same name:
1.  Press the white "Playlist" button on the upper right hand side of the Genos to get the this screen, then press the Playlist name at the top middle of the Genos screen, in my case "User_Example":
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAWixYTL83LL0jbU2

2.  You will be presented with this screen for Music Finder source, choose USB1, then press on the MFD file, in my case "Tyros5MD" MFD file:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2icFZb1tBHSXpoN2

3.  You will be prompted for confirmation of Music Finder importing your Tyros Music Finder file to a new Playlist file with the same name, choose "Yes" and the system will execute the importing, which will take quite a while, depending on the number of records in your Music Finder database.  Just be patient and maybe take some time to drink a cup of tea or coffee.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bWsuLJZ6WJ9FdP0V2

4.  Finally, the system will complete the Music Finder importing process and will present you this screen.  Press "OK" to continue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wYQuWDuVgl5VdG22

5.  You will then be presented the following screen, in which you will find both the "Tyros5MF" MFD file, and the newly generated "Tyros5MF" Playlist file.  Now press "Exit" button, or the cross at the upper corner of the screen:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNyikp83Ths6gtew2

6.  Now you are back to the Playlist screen with the new playlist "Tyros5MF":
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Du9Xfuq0DD1BxWPZ2

The above process was very straight forward, but a bit time-consuming, depending on the number of items in your Tyros5 Music Finder Database file.

Please remember to turn on the OTS Link.  I tested several songs and verified that the registrations recalled were properly performed.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: beano

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 05:06:15 PM »
Hello - I'm having trouble getting the Tyros music finder onto my SX900.   I followed the directions here and when I get to the screen in playlist to select it, it doesn't come up with an option to convert to registrations.   When I go into the list I can see lots of songs, but when I click any of them, I get the message "File not found, or file name is inappropriate".  I don't see anything else on the stick with lost of registration files.   I've looked around and see that some people have an issue of which USB stick it is pointing to.  So I've taken all the sticks out, tried to turn on the machine with just the relevant stick in a slot, and didn't make a difference.  I looked at the CSV file on the computer and it shows that the oath starts with C:/.   

Can anyone make some sense out of this?   I feel like I must be missing something obvious!!

Thanks in advance.

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi jcm2016,

Is the Music Finder file (.mfd) you have used, an original Yamaha file, or does this file contain your own entries (which do not refer to Preset Styles but to external Styles)?

P.S.
Usually the file paths in a Playlist file (.tsv) refer to "I:/<folder name>/<registration file name>.rgt" (which is the first connected USB stick).

The drive letter "C:/" is used for the internal User drive. If you see a file path like "C:/STYLE/<style name>", the Playlist expects this Style in the User drive.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 06:23:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
@Chris - thanks for the response.  I think it came from Yamaha.   I got it from the shop I bought the keyboard from.  I've also contacted them, but since it's Sunday, I thought maybe someone on here might know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the info on C vs I.  I guess that means it shouldn't be the issue of the keyboard looking for files on a particular USB stick.   

Much appreciated

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 07:14:28 PM »
Hi jcm2016,

at the moment, I don't know what the exact error is in your case.

Please refer to page 91 of the SX900 Reference Manual ("Importing Music Finder Records to the Playlist"). Download it here, if needed:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

You can try to import the following Tyros5 Music Finder files. These should work properly:

Tyros5 Music Finder (international): https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/software/6/312736/Tyros5.zip
Tyros5 Music Finder (German version): https://de.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/313096/Music-Finder-Eintraege-fuer-Tyros5.zip

Note: The USB stick must be connected in order to use the Playlist converted from a Music Finder file. The folder on the USB stick in which the Playlist file (.tsv)  and the associated Registration files (.rgt) are located must not be renamed or moved, otherwise the file paths stored in the Playlist files are no longer correct, and the Registration files would no longer be found by the Playlist function.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 07:15:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the response.   I looked at the manual, as suggested.   

My issue seems to be with step 3: "Select the desired Music Finder file to call up a confirmation message.".   There's no message that comes up to convert the TSV file into registrations.  I don't think I missed that the first time I inserted the USB.  And I can figure out how to tell the keyboard to bring up that message.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 08:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the response.   I looked at the manual, as suggested.   

My issue seems to be with step 3: "Select the desired Music Finder file to call up a confirmation message.".   There's no message that comes up to convert the TSV file into registrations.  I don't think I missed that the first time I inserted the USB.  And I can figure out how to tell the keyboard to bring up that message.

The .tsv file is already the Playlist file. A Music Finder file has the extension ".mfd". So obviously the import process has already been completed.

As a test, try to open the folder with the name of the original .mfd file on the USB stick using the REGISTRATION Selection display (press REGIST BANK + and - buttons at the same time). You should then be able to see or call up the Registration Bank files generated by the conversion function in this folder.

Did you just abort the conversion of the .mfd file too early?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:03:01 PM by overover »

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »
Thanks, I tried that, and don't see any of the registrations that go with the TSV file.  For example, from the registration section, I searched for some of the names that I can see in the playlist, and none come up in the registrations. 

I don't think there was a process that ran for me to abort - but perhaps I didn't realize it was running and then didn't realize I was aborting it.

Thanks again for the help

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 04:18:02 AM »
Hi jcm2016,

To be very clear: Please make sure that the Music Finder file you want to import is actually an .MFD file, i.e. NOT already a .TSV file.

If you touch the name of the currently loaded Playlist in the Playlist File Selection display, BOTH file types will be displayed (however, as usual with Yamaha keyboards, without file extension).

A .MFD file to be converted should be in the ROOT directory of the USB stick. From there you call it up in the Playlist File Selection display to initiate the conversion. A new folder will be created (with the name of the original .MFD Music Finder file). In this folder you will later find both the new .TSV Playlist file (which is then called up via the Playlist Selection display to load the new Playlist) and also the associated .RGT Registration files, which are linked in the new .TSV Playlist file. (As already mentioned, these are of course only shown in the Registration File Selection display.)

Please try with a newly downloaded (and of course unzipped) .MFD Music Finder file. Then the import process must be work as described. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 10:35:36 PM »
Thanks very much for the help.  Monday means work so I couldn't respond earlier.  I have it on a stick that came from the shop, so I'm asking them to help.   The stick has a TSV file and when I see it on the keyboard, there is only one (as you said, with no extension).  I don't see another folder on the stick full of registrations, so I'm pretty confused!   

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks again for the help.  The shop gave me instructions to essentially factory reset the keyboard and then there's a file on the stick called backup that then put everything onto the keyboard.  I have no idea how it worked - but it did!