Author Topic: XG voices on Genos?  (Read 7936 times)

Offline svpworld

XG voices on Genos?
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Ok this might have been answered already, so apologies if I've missed it. I was playing around with a pop style on Genos and liked a particular sound in the intro (it's the 80sMonsterHit style which is heavily influenced by Shout - Tears for Fears).  I particularly liked the Fairlight voice sound in the style, it appears if you look at the parts that it uses the blown bottle XG voice. Actually if you go to the style channel option you can browse the XG/GM voices by going back one step.  However there doesn't appear anyway of getting to the same voices from the main R1, R2, R3 parts... if you backup the XG section is missing.
Any ideas of how to get to these for the main keyboard voices? 

Simon

Seagull29

Re: XG voices on Genos?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Hi,
if it's the same like T5, when you want to select a voice, you can go up to access at files which contain voices (brass, strings etc....). Normally, you have a folder for every type of bank of voices (Legacy,GM, XG etc...). If you find the XG Folder, you'll find the voice you need.

Offline svpworld

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
Sadly it's not quite like that. It works for the style parts, but not for the main parts.  I can see the program numbers for the XG voices, so in theory they may be accessible over midi but it seems odd that Yamaha block you from getting to them for the main parts. You can't even copy them from the style parts to favourites etc as the copy etc features are disabled.

Simon

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »
Take a look over here:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42124.msg334799.html#msg334799

I give an explanation of why the XG and GM2 Voices don't sound as good... but you can edit them and make them sound like Panel Voices for the Right hand.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:29:17 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
Hi Simon

You may try the registration bank attached. Pressing Reg1 will set Right1 to the GM GrandPiano (000-000-001). Now click the Voice Select button for Right1 und you will find yourself in the GM&XG Piano folder. If you navigate up the folder hierarchy you see all the GM&XG folders. In the File menu Copy and Save are available, so you may save any GM&XG voice as a user voice.

Have phun  8).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: svpworld

Offline svpworld

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »
Dromeus you are a genius!  It worked!   By then favouriting the XG piano voice I was then able to choose it for the other voice parts (voice right 2 and right 3, left), switch back to preset and then create a registration giving me access to the XG and GM voices across all parts!   There are actually some interesting sounds in there like the 60s Strings and synth string pads that you can't find in the main section.  With a bit of DSP work they sound awesome!

Simon

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Simon, glad that it was useful for you  :).
Regards, Michael

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
Thank you for the registration. This is very interesting.

By the way: you can access the XG voices also in the YEM when by clicking "Create Genos Custom Normal Voice".

Uli

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D