Author Topic: PSR 910 Volume Issues  (Read 10829 times)

darrenkuy

PSR 910 Volume Issues
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »
Hello, been having this issue the last couple of days. While playing, the volume will randomly change..nothing real dramatic, maybe a 10% - 15% change, but it’s noticeable and forces me to change it from the master vol. knob while performing without the dancers noticing. At first I thought it may be my jbl powered monitor, or a mixer issue, as I don’t have the problem when at home using headphones, but today I payed attention, and my singing didn’t change volume, just the keyboard. It changes both the sequence volume and the piano volume I’m playing live. Any help would be appreciated,

Offline travlin-easy

Re: PSR 910 Volume Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
There are only a few things that would cause this. First and foremost, the master volume control may be starting to fail. Move it back and forth rapidly to clean any corrosion from the device.

Next, the cable between the keyboard and the amp may be intermittent. Try swapping cables.

If all else fails, try performing a minor system restoration by holding down the rightmost white key while powering up.

Hope this helps,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

darrenkuy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I’ve do the master volume thing, as it does occasionally sound scratchy when I rapidly turn to clean it. I’ve also tried different cables, and different stereo channels on the mixer board. It’s really strange, almost like there’s a volume controller in the midi file changing the overall volume of the keyboard, but only out of the 2 rear main line out jacks..doesn’t seem to effect the headphone jack. I normally plug the headphone jack while performing to defeat the internal speakers, but now I’m thinking of using a stereo cable, and use this output to see for sure if the problem is a global event, or maybe just related to the main outs.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
If you use the Line Out the master volume control will have no effect at all, and if the problem is being caused by that scratchy volume control, it will not come through using the line outs.

Most electronics stores carry Potentiometer cleaner, which is a spray. In order to use this, though, you will need to open the keyboard. DO NOT spray this stuff on the printed circuit boards or plastic.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »
If you use the Line Out the master volume control will have no effect at all, and if the problem is being caused by that scratchy volume control, it will not come through using the line outs.

The following is an extract from page 88 of the PSR-S910/S710 Owner’s Manual:

You can connect a stereo system to amplify the instrument’s sound by using the
OUTPUT [L/L+R]/[R] jacks. When using the PSR-S910, the microphone or guitar
sound connected to the instrument’s [MIC/LINE IN] jack is output at the same time.

When these are connected, you can use the instrument’s [MASTER VOLUME]
control to adjust the volume of the sound output to the external device.

Regards

Ian

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:58 AM »
Sorry, I gave you some misinformation. I just checked the User Manual and the PSR-S910 does not have a line output connection. They apparently did away with that connection after the PSR-3000. Big mistake, Yamaha!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Afton72

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:28 AM »
   Yes, Gary, I used both sets of outlets at same time, on PSR1500, but Line-outs (set Vol), are gone on S900, only "Outputs" now, & I miss them.

Alan