Author Topic: tyros 4 is the 975 going take it's place?  (Read 10723 times)

Offline connsmythe

tyros 4 is the 975 going take it's place?
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
not a lot of real changes to the 975, I have a t4 and 970 same old thing bose compact I have two
970 works good with one t4 not so much the t4 is great with two so I bought a 400I for the t4
not bad but I am 66 now the t4 won't jump in the car by itself the 970 is great but the t4 wins
is it time to sell the t4 and get the 975 will the effects on the 975 be better then 970?
as there are not of big changes will the 975 sound good with one bose?
I like the weight and on board speakers.

what do you think
conn

Offline DerekA

Re: tyros 4 is the 975 going take it's place?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
If you have a 970, I think there is very little incentive to trade to the S975. The biggest benefit is the increased expansion memory, and the inclusion of selected voices and styles from some expansion packs. I don't think there is any difference at all in terms of effects.
Genos

Offline connsmythe

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
I need two keyboards so the 970 will stay.
the t4 is lot more to load and unload
and since I turned 66  my age is showing  or is the t4
getting heavier?

conn

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
I think the 975 is geared more towards the Asian market with the S button containing styles.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:10:40 PM »
I think your question is about... is the S975 the new Tyros 4?

Could be... I haven't compared the Voices or the effects.  But it could very well be a good replacement for the T4 if you want a lighter board to haul around. The thing is if it is an Asian keyboard, are the Preset styles what you can use?

The choice is up to you.  I think you need to do more research on the S975 before you make a decision.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Denn

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »
Hello, I have a T4 and a PSR S770. If someone wanted my T4 they would have to prize it out of my cold dead fingers!!! I take my S770 and StagePa 300 out sometimes but at 79 I still prefer my T4. Did a 2-1/2 hour gig yesterday with my T4. Just my opinion. Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline connsmythe

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 02:09:26 AM »
great to hear you are 79 and out there gigging I got a long way to go I guess, and your right
the t4 does sound better then 970 and probably the 975 is not going to cut it
I guess I'm going to have to go the gym a little more so I can handle the t4 maybe there are a few
out there that would have liked 61 Genos if the 76 is 28lbs or so the 61 note could have
been not much heavier then the 975?
must say the t4 in stereo is just great had a t2 but SA 2voices are great on the t4
thanks I think I'm motivated and I got 13 to maybe 15 yrs yo play

conn

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:51 PM »
Have you considered Genos as it is a little lighter than the Tyros and a great keyboard to. The best Yamaha keyboard to date.  My husband and I are 82 but manage it fine.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
In addition to the small, incremental improvements over the S970 (which I have), I wish someone could address whether the S975 has made any improvements to the basic voices?  For example, are the pianos, basses, guitars, drums, etc. the exact same voices as those on the S970?  Or, maybe, just maybe----Yamaha was made some tweaks to the EQ, the effects, or whatever, that will improve the overall sound of the S975.  Sort of like Genos owners saying that it sounds cleaner and more open than the Tyros 5.

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
I don't think Larry that the sample of voices of Genos is something that makes the difference between the Genos and the other keyboards.
I think is the operating system that make the difference.

It is like what a medium pc can do and what a more expencive pc can do.

Or to put it in another way,is the best gasoline make so much difference to a car's perfomance than the normal gasoline?
No,the difference in perfomance between two cars is just the engine.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »
In addition to the small, incremental improvements over the S970 (which I have), I wish someone could address whether the S975 has made any improvements to the basic voices?  For example, are the pianos, basses, guitars, drums, etc. the exact same voices as those on the S970?  Or, maybe, just maybe----Yamaha was made some tweaks to the EQ, the effects, or whatever, that will improve the overall sound of the S975.  Sort of like Genos owners saying that it sounds cleaner and more open than the Tyros 5.

I think you should ask Yamaha about whether the S975 has the same samples as the S970.  I'm willing to bet they are.  After all, it's a PSR and not a TOTL arranger.  The S975 appears to be an enhanced S970 and nothing more.  Though I think it is possible it has a new Operating System that looks just like the one in the S970.  So... the S975 may be a beta machine.  In other words, they want buyers of the S975 to be the beta testers for the new OS and shake out the bugs before they release the NEXT PSR (or whatever it will be called) that will replace the S970.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:20:33 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Patrick

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
Hi Joe, a demoof the new S975 in French but intersting, all the best Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Z4AiLJzKM

;)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »
Patrick,

So what is your take on the S975? What were these guys saying about it?  Besides what we already know is more Voices, more expansion memory, mono legato, save Live Control settings in registrations, etc.  What else is really different?

Joe H

Offline connsmythe

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 01:27:14 AM »
Hello out there I sold the T4 and ordered a 975, the other day I asked L&M when are they coming
they first said end of march then I checked they changed that june or july I like to have two keyboards
as a brake down say on a thursday and some gigs might come in then what would you do as these
keyboards are custom to our needs. I then checked the L&M site on thursday they cut the price on the
970 by $800.00 so I jumped at that so now I have two boards set up the same they work with the compacts one or two and the 400I light and I will ride these two into the sunset as I am 66
also the extended warranty on the T4 was $225.00 a year so now both 970,s and my P105 about
that price.
So what do you think of extended warranties do we need them?

Offline Patrick

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
Hi Joe, just the S975 can also read MP3+CDG; so the OS upgrade can be added on the S970 but we're waiting for this upgrade from Yamaha; i'll wait for the next PSR as the S975 is just the big brother of the S970! With all the voices and styles we've on the S970 with the packs we can add, the S970 is just terrific! Have a good day, cheers Patrick

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:10 AM »
Patrick,

Thank you for your reply.

:)

Joe H

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
It might be interesting to get a good side by side video/audio comparison of the S970 and S975.  However, the audio from youtube may not be good enough for any judgements.  I prefer to upgrade based on improved sound quality, voices, and styles.  I don’t need new features, per se.  If the sound engine is the same, why would anyone upgrade?  Would buyers of the Genos have done so anyway, if it sounded exactly like the Tyros 5?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
It might be interesting to get a good side by side video/audio comparison of the S970 and S975.  However, the audio from youtube may not be good enough for any judgements.  I prefer to upgrade based on improved sound quality, voices, and styles.  I don’t need new features, per se.  If the sound engine is the same, why would anyone upgrade?  Would buyers of the Genos have done so anyway, if it sounded exactly like the Tyros 5?

Yamaha makes one-size-fits-all keyboards.  Some people just want new or better sounds. Some want new features.  And some want both.

Yamaha is smart... they cover all interests.

Joe H