Author Topic: Error message YEM Genos  (Read 7767 times)

Offline Oxford1035

Error message YEM Genos
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:46 AM »
One of the members FLEMMING, kindly sent me some Theatre samples to try in my Genos. l have gone through the same procedure as l used to add my other packs to the YEM without any problem, but each time l get this error message "An error occurred and data could not be imported" l have tried everything from clearing all the other packs from the YEM, to re downloading the Theatre pack several times, but each time the result is the same. l don't know anything about the in depth side of the packs or YEM, but one thing l noticed is all my other packs are PPF files, and the Theatre one is PPI. Would this make any difference? If not, does anyone have any idea why l keep getting this error message as apparently other Genos owners have managed to download the Theatre pack

Offline zionip

Re: Error message YEM Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:42:26 AM »
PPF means Pack Profile File, which is to be imported to YEM (version 2.5 for Genos) so we can select all or a portion of the voices and styles contained in the Expansion Pack inside YEM.  Expansion packs in the form of PPF is flexible.

PPI means Pack Installation File, which is the file created by YEM, to be stored on a USB flash drive, to be installed on appropriate Yamaha arranger keyboards.  Expansion packs in the form of PPI is inflexible and meant not to be altered.

If what you got is a PPI file, you should just install it on your Genos:  Menu - Menu2 - Expansion - Pack Installation, then select the name of the PPI file on your USB1 to install the expansion pack.  There is nothing for YEM to process PPI file since the file is already the final installation file.

Since the Expansion flash area will always be reformatted whenever you install a new PPI file, all of your currently installed Expansion packs on your Genos will be wiped.  You simply cannot incrementally install additional expansion packs on top of the installed expansion packs.  If you still have all the PPF files imported in your YEM, then your can always re-create your original "Genos_PackInstallData.ppi" file.  Your original "Genos_PackInstallData.ppi" may still be on your USB1 stick, so you can just re-install it after you are done with your new pack.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:44:01 AM by zionip »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »

Since the Expansion flash area will always be reformatted whenever you install a new PPI file, all of your currently installed Expansion packs on your Genos will be wiped.  You simply cannot incrementally install additional expansion packs on top of the installed expansion packs.

Thanks,
Paul

The Expansion memory can be incremented ONLY with newly content by Wireless transfer from YEM. Wireless transfer is able to install/uninstall difference of content. I made it several times in my ex-Tyros 5, also. It works in Genos, too!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
The Expansion memory can be incremented ONLY with newly content by Wireless transfer from YEM. Wireless transfer is able to install/uninstall difference of content. I made it several times in my ex-Tyros 5, also. It works in Genos, too!

Regards,
Vali
I didn't know that. In could swear the only time I actually got wireless transfer to work on my Tyros 5, it did a format operation first. I haven't tried wireless on Genos yet.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
I didn't know that. In could swear the only time I actually got wireless transfer to work on my Tyros 5, it did a format operation first. I haven't tried wireless on Genos yet.

It seems, after first transfer thru wireless, it keep minds what have been transfered... next time will do only updates...
First time when I have transfered, it has done the same way, format and insert, but from the second time, only updates...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
On Tytos5 I found that using wireless transfer new content (if modest or edits to presets) would often be installed without a format. But formats would occasionally occur if external samples were involved. I believe it depends how significant the new data is in relation to the space remaining in the module.  As the module becomes more used a format may be programmed to manage the space more efficiently.
John

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your replies and help. l have a PPF version of the samples on the way, so that should solve the problem. Good to know the difference between the files etc, which will be helpful in the future.

Kind regards,

Russ

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
Hi,

l received the new samples in PPF form this time. When l tried to load them into the YEM it actually went a bit further than with the PPI files. It started with the first green bar moving along in the YEM, where it looks like the file is starting to download. With the PPI files, the error message came up straight away But the same error message came up before the green bar when the files start to extract. Hope this makes sense. l've tried adding my other PPF packs again, to make sure l'm not doing anything wrong, and they all load into the YEM perfectly, so l have no idea why this particular file won't load

Offline StuartR

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:44 AM »
Hi,

l received the new samples in PPF form this time. When l tried to load them into the YEM it actually went a bit further than with the PPI files. It started with the first green bar moving along in the YEM, where it looks like the file is starting to download. With the PPI files, the error message came up straight away But the same error message came up before the green bar when the files start to extract. Hope this makes sense. l've tried adding my other PPF packs again, to make sure l'm not doing anything wrong, and they all load into the YEM perfectly, so l have no idea why this particular file won't load
I'd suggest asking the author of these sounds for help. Surely they have gotten them working and have a vested interest in you getting them working as well.

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »
I am the author of the Theatre Organ expansion.  I have supplied it as ppi and ppf files.  Users are able to successfully install the ppi from a USB, but the ppf cannot be loaded into YEM for unknown reasons.  It may be that the 1.4 GB file size is too large for the current release of YEM to handle.  Even I cannot reload the ppf file which is extremely frustrating because  of the many hours of work that are effectively lost. If a Yamaha engineer would like a copy of he ppf to debug YEM, I would be happy to send it. 

Joe
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline StuartR

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »
I am the author of the Theatre Organ expansion.  I have supplied it as ppi and ppf files.  Users are able to successfully install the ppi from a USB, but the ppf cannot be loaded into YEM for unknown reasons.  It may be that the 1.4 GB file size is too large for the current release of YEM to handle.  Even I cannot reload the ppf file which is extremely frustrating because  of the many hours of work that are effectively lost. If a Yamaha engineer would like a copy of he ppf to debug YEM, I would be happy to send it. 

Joe

I'd suggest you contact Yamaha directly rather than just posting a request for help here.

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
I am rebuilding the expansion packs and saving them as several smaller ppf files rather than one large file. The smaller packs import back into YEM without error.

Joe

Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 05:55:45 AM »
That sounds promising then Joe. Fingers crossed it works out ok now