Author Topic: PSR8000 - Have I ruined the FDD management circuitry?  (Read 10783 times)

guyfingers

PSR8000 - Have I ruined the FDD management circuitry?
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
Hi there

I've started a new thread (from my last one) as I've realised that this hasn't got anything to do with the OS.

So, I have THREE  PSR8000s!!

One I bought in 1999 and used every week until 2015 when it finally fell apart so I bought another one off eBay for £150.

6 months ago, I saw another one even cheaper and so bought it as a spare. I also decided to fit one of those USB/floppy emulators to it but due to the lack of light, I accidentally connected the cable halfway up. i.e. the top line of holes was connected to the bottom line of pins.
When nothing happened except the lights coming on on the interface, I opened it up, realised my mistake and reconnected it correctly.
I could play midifiles from the USB and load samples, however custom sounds I made on my other 2 PSR8000s come out distorted/corrupted and eventually lock up the keyboard.
Thinking this was the fault of the USB/Floppy unit, I re-installed the floppy disk, but then the same thing happened….. Midifiles and samples no problem, but loading custom sounds causes corruption and lockup. I quickly made some custom sounds on this machine (as a test) and saved the to the internal HD but these load ok when completely reset.

I noticed that the disk.mng file on the floppy from machine 3 states a version of
Ver0.61Rev0.00
Whereas the other two are later versions of Ver0.66Rev0.00 and Ver0.75Rev0.00

Could this be the problem? or have I ruined the floppy disk management system by misinstalling the USB/floppy unit?

Annoyingly, I can’t remember if it worked correctly before I opened the keyboard up :-\

Any help would be appreciated.

Guy

CyberSeb

Re: PSR8000 - Have I ruined the FDD management circuitry?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
Hi Guy,

I'm pretty sure that you did NOT damage the electronics. Otherwise the PSR would not be able to access other files on the "floppy".

I am a proud owner of a PSR-8000 as well, and I know that this beast has a few software bugs and annoyances (mine is firmware revision 1.06). What I observed in particular:

- If you access something on the floppy disk and then run the "check harddisk" funktion, the PSR displays a false hard disk error (but the HD is fine).
- When accessing style files, it tries to auto-load files less then 40kb in the background, which makes navigating in the files a pain.

As a computer scientist I could imagine that the revisions of the PSR are not fully compatible, although this is unlikely ... You could try swapping out the ROMs which hold the operating system and then see if the error moves to another PSR. I can also offer you trying to load your files on my 8000, to see what happens ... :-)

BTW, I recently also updated my PSR-8000 with a CF-Card and a Gotek SFR1M44-U100K. All this "Genos hype" really made me re-discover and again enjoy playing on my rusty PSR-8000. It's a nice keyboard! As a Gotek user, you might be interested in this script: https://github.com/sebmate/GotekTool

I'm also currently working on a program for the re-voicing of newer Yamaha styles (for the Tyros and Genos) to the panel voices on the PSR-8000 (but it works with any Yamaha keyboard). Initial results are pretty good thus far ... stay tuned! :-)

Sebastian

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:52:41 PM »
I would suggest doing a system restoration, but I cannot remember exactly how to do this on that particular keyboard. It may be the same as most of the new ones, though. Just hold down the rightmost white key while powering up.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

guyfingers

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
Hey Travlin - I don't keep batteries in my PSR8000 so it always starts from a clean slate. (but yes, it's top key and on)

Cyberseb, thanks so much for your input. How do you find out the firmware version?

Here's a dropbox link to the custom sounds I use. The ones which work fine on PSR1 and PSR2 but sound corrupted on PSR3 and cause it to lock up. Let me know if they load ok on your machine :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/leqqb3xidu3tknk/Cust%20Snds.USR?dl=0

It is possible to remove the ROMS easily?

Thanks again :-)

(Isn't it annoying that when copying from FD to HD, you can't actually copy user files?! Only song, style and wave!)

guyfingers

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
Hey Seb
I've just thought, you might need the other files on the FD (EFF folder etc) so here's a link to those too. :-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/722l6xui2vdrxry/FD%20files.zip?dl=0

CyberSeb

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
Hi Guy,

thanks for the test files! I've copied them to the USB stick. They load perfectly fine on my PSR-8000!

You can enter test-mode by keeping C#, F and G# pressed on the second ocatave while turning the keyboard on. You can then cycle through the test modes by pressing the "Start" button.

For the versions, mine shows:

MAIN: 1.06  INTR: 1.00
STYLE: 1.00  DATA: 1.00
SCAN: 0.10  WAVE: 1.00

What does yours show?

The test program also checks various RAM sections. Maybe you have a faulty RAM chip somewhere? I remember that mine produced strange sounds and locked up in the sampling menu. This was due to a bad connection of one of the RAM chips (I have mine fitted with the incredible luxury amount of 32 MB *g*). This disappeared after re-fitting the modules.

I believe that the (firmware) ROM is on the daughter board below the bottom metal cover. I think it's only plugged in, but I could be wrong. I had never removed it ...

Let me know how everything goes!

Sebastian

guyfingers

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
Ah great - glad the sounds loaded ok (the SDMC Blip one is for the synth sound on Fine Young Cannibals 'She Drives Me Crazy' btw)

WOW - never knew about test mode! Love it.
On all of mine, INTR, STYLE, DATA, SCAN and WAVE are all the same, however the MAIN on the others go like this:-
PSR1 - 1.02
PSR2 - 1.06 (like yours)
PSR3 - 1.01 - so a very early ROM - maybe this is the problem

I did the tests amd it didn't come up with any errors - can't get past 'FDD Check Insert 2DD' as I'm not sure I have one. How can I skip this?

Anyway - think I'm going to open up PSR1 and see if I can see the OS EPROM :-)

32Gb?! You MONSTER, you!

guyfingers

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
SO!

Bad news - I took the whole bottom cover off PSR1 before realising I need only have taken the metal plate off (doh)
Good news - the PROM board came off easily and I was able to turn it over and see the PROMS (see pics)
Good news - took off the metal cover of offending PSR3, pulled out PROM board & swapped with board from PSR1.
Good news - PSR3 in test mode now shows MAIN: 1.02

Best news - it works!!! Sounds are now loading correctly! So it WAS an OS/Firmware problem!

See pics (in case it's not clear, the 1.01 EPROMS were labeled D0 and the 1.02 EPROMS labeled E0)

Thanks so much for your input!

Guy

PS I don't think I'll bother re-installing the Gotek USB/floppy unit just yet. It's working fine so I'll leave it! Actually I found it quite slow to access the files.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:17:23 PM by guyfingers »