Author Topic: Error message popup when playing XG midi files..  (Read 4486 times)

keynote

Error message popup when playing XG midi files..
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
I was playing and scrolling through some XG midi files when an error message popped up saying: "an unexpected error occurred, please turn off the keyboard and then turn it back on" or something to that effect. Here is the scenario. I started playing one XG midi file and while it was still playing I clicked on another XG midi file and it started playing and then I'll click on another one while the second one was still playing and the third one starts playing immediately and so on and so forth. Well occasionally I'll come across an XG midi file that takes a long time to load and start playing for whatever reason I'm not sure why it takes so long. The error message popped up after I went from one XG midi file to the one where the problem occurred. All the other times I've encountered these "slow to start" XG midi files they eventually start playing but the problematic one never started playing before the error message popped up. I followed the instructions and turned off the Genos and then turned it back on and went back to see if I could replicate the problem. I was unable to replicate the problem but the problem happening in the first place is somewhat of a mystery since I've never experienced that kind of problem on either my Tyros 1 (which I sold) or my Tyros 3 which I currently still own. Hopefully a Yamaha representative will see this post and relay the information. I might have to end up calling Yammie on the phone again to make sure they are aware of the problem.

PS: mazeka aka Harauch?? is a recent forum member who works for Yamaha US. Hopefully he'll see this post and maybe provide some input?? I wonder if Steve Deming still works for Yamaha. Steve use to post occasionally but maybe he's been reassigned. Actually I could drive up to Buena Park and talk to someone in person but they'd probably lock the doors if they saw me drive up. ;D

Mike

Offline StuartR

Re: Error message popup when playing XG midi files..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:47 PM »
I was playing and scrolling through some XG midi files when an error message popped up saying: "an unexpected error occurred, please turn off the keyboard and then turn it back on" or something to that effect. Here is the scenario. I started playing one XG midi file and while it was still playing I clicked on another XG midi file and it started playing and then I'll click on another one while the second one was still playing and the third one starts playing immediately and so on and so forth. Well occasionally I'll come across an XG midi file that takes a long time to load and start playing for whatever reason I'm not sure why it takes so long. The error message popped up after I went from one XG midi file to the one where the problem occurred. All the other times I've encountered these "slow to start" XG midi files they eventually start playing but the problematic one never started playing before the error message popped up. I followed the instructions and turned off the Genos and then turned it back on and went back to see if I could replicate the problem. I was unable to replicate the problem but the problem happening in the first place is somewhat of a mystery since I've never experienced that kind of problem on either my Tyros 1 (which I sold) or my Tyros 3 which I currently still own. Hopefully a Yamaha representative will see this post and relay the information. I might have to end up calling Yammie on the phone again to make sure they are aware of the problem.

PS: mazeka aka Harauch?? is a recent forum member who works for Yamaha US. Hopefully he'll see this post and maybe provide some input?? I wonder if Steve Deming still works for Yamaha. Steve use to post occasionally but maybe he's been reassigned. Actually I could drive up to Buena Park and talk to someone in person but they'd probably lock the doors if they saw me drive up. ;D

Mike

Thanks for posting this. I'd encourage you to call them, especially if it can be replicated. A corrupt MIDI (or any other file) shouldn't be able to corrupt the OS requiring a reboot. Just shouldn't happen. Error message, yes, hung OS, NO.
(And yes, I've worked with commercial computer operating systems for over 35 years.)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
Keyboards will often give this message if a file has something wrong with it. It happens with styles too. I always get rid of files that do this to avoid further problems.

keynote

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »
Keyboards will often give this message if a file has something wrong with it. It happens with styles too. I always get rid of files that do this to avoid further problems.

Usually when something is wrong with a style, midi file, or registration file, it won't play and that's a good indication to just delete them. There is a program called GNMidi that can attempt to repair midi files if something goes wrong but it's not full-proof. In my case, the XG midi file in question caused the unexpected error but after I rebooted the Genos I went back to that midi file and tried to play it again and it played fine. So it wasn't the midi file that was bad or corrupted it apparently was the way the Genos handled the instructions to load and play the midi file that caused the error to occur. As I stated in my previous post I was in the process of playing an XG midi file when I clicked on the midi file in question. After I rebooted the Genos I went back and tried to replicate the problem using the same sequence of events I used when the problem first occurred but to no avail. I ended up calling Yamaha tech support this morning and relayed the information to a tech rep who made a notation about the issue.

I also updated some information concerning another technical issue (running time not displaying correctly when playing an audio file that is over 1 hour and 40 minutes in length i.e. 100 minutes or longer). Apparently in that situation the Genos OS cannot 'count' beyond double digits i.e. 99. So if an audio file is triple digits in length i.e. 100 minutes or longer total running time the Genos will only display the time that is beyond 100 minutes in length.  So if an audio file is 112 minutes long (an hour an 52 minutes long) the Genos will only display "12" minutes as the total running time instead of 112 minutes. I discussed the problem with a person named Avery about a week and a half ago. From what I understand one of our forum members i.e. mazeka aka Harauch?? (not sure I'm spelling his name correctly) is a very knowledgeable and skilled technical support person. I got the inside scoop from an independent keyboard dealer in Florida who apparently knows him very well. So far I haven't talked to him on the phone when I have called the corporate headquarters in Buena Park, CA., but maybe I'll get a chance to at some point. He's only been a member for a short time and doesn't seem to post very much. But hopefully he's reading all the threads regarding these various technical issues. Yamaha is in fact using Genos owners as certified beta testers. The more people who purchase the Genos provides that much more input for Yamaha software engineers to diagnose and solve. So we are important in the grand scheme of things because we might catch something the developers might otherwise miss. So we can count it as a privilege that we can potentially help Yamaha fix issues that might affect the Genos. A solid, dependable keyboard is in everybody's best interest. Quality control is vital for maintaining Yamaha's preeminence as a reputable corporation within the business community. Okay, enough philosophizing for now. ;)

Mike   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:03:40 AM by keynote »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR