Author Topic: 100% Genos: What Does It Take  (Read 7597 times)

Offline pjd

100% Genos: What Does It Take
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »
Hi --

Well, here's a demo which is 100% Genos: Junior Walker's "What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)".

The backing track started as a MIDI file purchased from Yamaha Musicsoft. All of the voices are Genos: SeattleWarm strings, PopHornsSwell, ActiveFingerBass, C7 WarmGrand and VintageOpenKit. The VintageOpenKit is a Revo kit, so you get to hear what Revo does for a standard issue, Mark I MIDI drum track.

The solo line is me (live) over the backing track. It's a gas playing that solo with the new FunkAltoSax. :)

I didn't spend a lot of time on the mix or any retakes. This is pretty close to out-of-the-box, what an average punter can do. All re-voicing and mixing was done on the Genos (no DAW, etc.)

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/WhatDoesItTake.mp4

This is the first time I've posted an MP4/AAC file. Please let me know if there are any playback issues.

Have fun -- pj

P.S. More production notes and bad jokes at: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-funk-alto-sax-demo/

Offline XeeniX

Re: 100% Genos: What Does It Take
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
Hi PJ,

Love that groove :) very well played btw for "straight out of the box" and I love that funk alto sound and start wondering if the alto sax expansion which has a funk alto sax as well would sound similar to this Genos version.

String sections are nice and quite a lot better or at least less sharp than those on the T5. I noticed already that a lot of Genos styles had that hand clapping that in my ears is just a little over the top sometimes in some styles but I coudl hear the difference especially with them hi-hats and it;s in a good way different :)

thanks for sharing,
Peter
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:20:06 PM by XeeniX »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
File played with no problem at all. A very good performance to show case Genos. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »
PJ.
Great song to demo the Funk Alto Sax. It sounds so alive.
I'm already imagining all the things I could do with this Sax.
It would sound great on Randy Crawford's Street Life for example.
I can picture myself playing something cool from the Crusaders with it.

Loved it all.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
Hi pj

That sax sounds so good,and a perfect song ( one of my favourite j w songs) to demonstate it.
Had a slight difficulty at first to listen,but got there in the end

Enjoy your Genos

Thanks and have a good New Year

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
Hi --

Thanks, everyone! The sounds on this keyboard are inspirational.

BTW, this really is typical of how I use an arranger. It's a practice tool.

I play live church music as part of an ensemble -- acoustic piano + 12-string guitar + me (no tracks, no styles) -- covering a spectrum from traditional to Classical to contemporary to gospel to whatever. After 20+ years, I'm so tired of the same church tunes that I use "music minus one" to make it fresh and to practice playing within a group.

Another shameless plug for Genos: I've got about 50+ tunes to remix for Genos. I'm so happy with the workflow, that I may bag SONAR and do all the remixing on Genos itself.

Hope you had a good weekend! Temperature was -16C when I left for the church yesterday. Brrr.

Thanks, again -- pj

P.S. Thanks for the feedback about audio file format, too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:46:10 PM by pjd »

saxxman

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
Great demo PJ!  Yamaha has always had great sounding sax voices and this demo is 100% proof they are the best. Thanks!  Enjoy that technology!
Randy

Marcus

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
Hi PG

Excellent audio take and Sax track. Don't be afraid to bump that solo track up a few clicks in volume to even stand out even more in the overall mix.

I am loving every moment on the Genos. No "Song Creator" per se, but in the multitrack record Song Mode all 16 tracks are visible and very easy to work with. Loading a MIDI, editing is much easier on the Genos then the Tyros 5 Song Creator, and with high sound quality and voices selections in the resulting recording or MIDI Song save.

As with the Tyros 5 Song Creator mode, it is the same function to "execute" your edits before saving. Less cumbersome on the Genos, as each edit save took 100% each time compared to the Tyros 5 which sometimes I had to re-edit the whole song again. Mostly because the MIDI sequence must be stopped and at the beginning before "execute" and save functions can work.

Marcus

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Thanks, Randy!

And thanks, Marcus, for the tips. I usually ride my level with an expression pedal. Balance vs. the group is important, so your suggestion is quite helpful.

Gosh, I forgot about that "beginning of the sequence" business. That might be why I committed to remixing via SONAR on the S950. Wow, I didn't even think of this when editing on Genos.

Take care, everyone -- pj

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Love this track. The sax is my favourite of all wind instruments. Is so expressive and the Genos does justice to the sax. Well done, Paul, and I agree to Marcus 'bout mixing that "saxy" solo line.
Regards, Michael

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
I agree with Marcus, bump up that solo sax a few notches. Really sounds awesome, though.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
Hi Michael, Gary and everyone --

Thanks for listening and making suggestions.  :)

Sorry for the delay in replying -- it's been mad busy with too little time for playing.

-- pj