Author Topic: Arriving at Genos - coming from PSR-S950  (Read 4282 times)

tramano

Arriving at Genos - coming from PSR-S950
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »
Hi everbody here
I am getting my new Genos within the next two weeks  :)  and I would like to know: Is there anybody here who could give some hints and comments for the situation I am in, namely replacing my PSR-S950 with lots of registrations by a Genos? I mean, can I rely on the same statements that are generally given for transferring registrations (and even styles) from a T5 to Genos? Will it work the same way or doesn't make it any sense, because they are too different?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline pjd

Re: Arriving at Genos - coming from PSR-S950
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
Hello Tramano --

I'm moving from S950 to Genos, too.

I decided to start small and scale up -- try one or two registrations and experiment before committing and converting many registrations. The "go slow" approach appears to be a good one because I find that the Genos file/directory organization and workflow is different with respect to the S950. I would suggest learning how to work on the Genos first before starting conversion.

For example, I converted one S950 registration to Tyros 5 registration format using Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager tool. This was enough to get me started with learning and experiments.

I also suggest inserting only one USB drive at a time to simplify operations. Registrations store the complete, absolute file path name, including the drive name, e.g., "I:\" Genos uses the path name to find the file and if files have moved, been renamed or reside on a different drive, then Genos will not find them.

Since the S950 has such a small internal memory, I haven't kept very many styles, etc. in it. Thus, I didn't have to think about the internal directory and file structure too much (or at all). Genos has specific directories where it stores styles, voices, registrations, etc. with its internal memory. Working on a single USB drive alone is more flexible and gives you more choice about how to organize your files. Thus, it might make sense to work solely on USB drive for while, learning about the internal memory, and then start setting up files, etc. on that nice big internal memory.

Hope these tips help you out -- pj

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
Hi.
I don't want to discourage you, but some of them will sound better, some of them worst, because of Genos replacement voices. If you want to bulk convert your registrations you have to expect a lot of them sounds good (some of them very good) but some of them you have to manually correct them (a drum, a guitar that not sound better anymore on the style's writing). So you have to get thru all registrations/styles step by step.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
That's a good point, Vali.

I've been keeping some advice from Eileen in mind, too, i.e., it may be better to rebuild the S950 registrations on the internal drive itself instead of trying to "mirror" the internal drive file structure first.

Now that I've gotten past the Christmas season, I'm spending more time playing to soul, jazz, rock, pop backing tracks. I like many of the Genos sounds so much, that -- going forward -- I want to play them over the tracks. That means updating the registrations anyway. Fortunately, I keep good notes about the style used, OTS customizations, etc.

Soooooooooo, I may take a hybrid approach: 1. Convert S950 registrations to T5 in order to get a starting point. 2. Spiff up the registrations and refresh the style and audio file path names. The "pop" repertoire is a couple hundred songs which I love to play. Even going slow, I can complete this process in one to two weeks.

BTW, I love playing this keyboard, so keeping a positive attitude is no problem:)

Stay warm everyone -- pj

P.S. Thanks to Marcus for his advice to keep the S950 while transitioning. I can always refer back to the S950 while migrating.

tramano

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »
Thanks a lot pjd and vali !
What I learned is this:
- I will not sell my 950 before getting the Genos, there will be a transiton phase.
- I appreciate the "only one USB drive" recommendation.
- Currently, I am not sure if the intermediate transition (from 950) via Tyros 5 will work for me. With about 50-60 song registrations that I consider important for me, I think it might be better to investigate on the best Genos settings manually, thereby getting familiar with the new keyboard.

Hope we will stay in contact.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:41:29 AM by tramano »