Author Topic: Software for the PSR-E Series  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Jørgen

Software for the PSR-E Series
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:30:16 AM »
Hi

My software programs are now updated for many more PSR-E Series models.

Check http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm
and http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

Enjoy
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline SciNote

Re: Software for the PSR-E Series
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
Thanks for the link.  However, there is a lot of information there.  I'm just wondering if you have a program compatible with the PSR-E433 that could load two USR files into a computer, and then copy selected registrations from one to another, and then allow the newly created USR file to be loaded back into the keyboard by way of a flash drive?

The idea would be that if I have several USR files with different registrations that I like, I could then take my favorite registrations from the different USR files and put them into one USR file, then put that USR file back in the keyboard.  Because otherwise, there is no way to simply save and load individual registrations on the PSR-E keyboards.  You can only save and load all registrations at once (along with everything else stored in the keyboard) with USR files.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Hi

Sorry, I have not created any software for handling registrations...

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:55 AM »
It would seem to be a pretty straightforward program.  I did a little Google searching, which took me right back to this site!  There's a post from Michael (SeaGtGruff) from back in 2013 that, in part, contains this info...

So to summarize, so far it looks like the .USR files are organized as follows:

- file identifier (16 bytes)
- sizes and format versions for the song, registration, and style sections (32 bytes)
- style names (200 bytes, or 5 * 40 bytes)
- unknown (4 bytes)
- song section (variable length, can be 0 bytes)
- registration section (1800 bytes, or 32 * 56 bytes bookended by a 4-byte header and 4-byte trailer)
- style section (variable length, can be 0 bytes)

This is just a small part of a much more detailed post in this thread...

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=23188.0

And of course, it is over four years old, so Michael may have discovered more complete/accurate information since then.

But, if the general format stated above holds true, it looks like all a program would have to do is load the file into memory, search for the first occurrence of the header "PSR." (where the "." is actually an unprintable character -- this is all described in more detail in the actual thread), then access the desired registration data by adding a calculated multiple of 56 to the file position of the header "PSR.", as other data in the above thread mentions speculation that each registration takes 56 bytes of data.  This would be done with both USR files being worked on, and it should just be a simple matter of copying the 56-byte block of data, byte by byte, from the calculated position of the "source" file to the calculated position of the "destination" file, and then saving the modified "destination" file back on to the hard drive or flash drive, perhaps with a new filename to preserve the original USR file.

EDIT: I guess there would be the chance of the ASCII codes for the characters "P", "S", "R", and the unprintable character coming up coincidentally in the song data or elsewhere, so it might be advisable to take a precaution.  Perhaps, upon finding the "PSR.", go up 1796 bytes from the "P" and see if you find the other "PSR.", and if so, then that essentially confirms you found the registration data.  I would think the chances of "PSR." being randomly in those positions elsewhere to be exceptionally small.

Of course, the start points of the registration data would have to be calculated individually for both USR files, because it appears that the existence (or nonexistence) of song data would vary where the first "PSR." header is placed and therefore where registration data starts in each file.

And, I would think there might be a checksum in the USR file that adds the values of all the bytes of the file together for the purpose of error checking.  If so, then this checksum would also have to be adjusted to reflect the new registration data.

Perhaps there are other considerations, but if not, it would seem quite possible.  I could almost write such a program in BASIC, except that I don't know if BASIC's file handling capabilities would allow loading and manipulating such a file.  I remember learning to "open" a file, then read it into string variables line by line until the end of the file is reached, then "close" the file.  But those were simple text files, and I think each line was delineated by a carriage-return.  On something like a USR file, with no carriage-return, it could try to cram the whole thing into one string variable, and the limitations of the programming language might not allow for such a large string variable.  Or, the presence of the number 13 in any byte (which is the ASCII code for a carriage-return, if I remember correctly) could cause the program to treat different sections of the USR file as different lines of data.

Also, this is strictly for the PSR-E433, but I bet the E443 and E453 work similarly, but with a different number of bytes for custom styles and registration data to reflect the increased capabilities of these keyboards.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:25:30 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:49 AM »
It would seem to be a pretty straightforward program.

Thanks.
You are probably right... but...
Right now I am maintaining 41 software programs in 7 model lines covering 88 models...
Sorry to say, but I need not new projects at the moment...
However, I will add your idea to my to-do-when-I-eventually-get-the-spare-time list
And hope that some other will be faster than me...  ;)
BTW:
Where is the next generation of 3rd party software developers...  ??? ???

Regards
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »
I fully understand.  Maybe I'll see if I can figure out a way to build this myself.  What programming language do you use?
Bob

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
Hi

Some are Java and some are VB.Net. Check http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

Java - native MIDI support in JDK
.Net - easier integration to Windows

Jørgen
- since 1999

pquenin

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:11:19 AM »
I want to thank you for your programs and articles on making styles.
I have made my first style for my PSR-E453 and it's fun...
Do you know if the PSR-E453 support OTS ? Because I have tried to add a OTS section to my style but the keyboard ignore it. Maybe it's a different format ?

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:01 AM »
The onboard styles and songs have some sort of OTS, but none of us have been able to figure out how to add an OTS segment to a style file and get the PSR-E keyboard to respond to it. Either there's something different about the OTS data format for a PSR-E model, or maybe the OTS settings are stored separately somehow from the internal styles and songs?

pquenin

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:49:26 AM »
Ok, and I suppose that it's impossible to "export" an internal style to see how it is made...

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 05:56:27 AM »
Right, there's no way to export an internal style to a style file. You can record yourself playing a style in a User Song, then save the User Song to SMF-- but that's a song file rather than a style file, so there are no style-related segments (CASM, OTS, etc.).