Danne Machmar

Hey
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:37:22 AM »
Great
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:30:59 AM by Danne Machmar »

Online Fred Smith

Re: I regret my genos...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:43 AM »
I had no problems with my Tyros registrations finding all my user styles. Same with audio files. You just have to put them in the same pace as they were on the Tyros.

On a Genos, USB1 is its "hard drive". Hopefully that will help you. If not, tell us where your user styles were on the Tyros, and we’ll show you where to put them on the Genos.

To move along on a registration, you can assign the reg+ and reg- (the Tyros tab buttons) to buttons on the Genos.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:39 AM »
Where did you have your user files on the T5?  That will tell you where to put them on the Genos, rather than experimenting to “see if that works”.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
You really should have backed up your Tyros 5 hard drive to computer and then Using a 64 Gb USB stick copied the files from your computer onto the root directory of the USB. This stick would then be placed on the USB hidden port under the keyboard. Then all your links would be in tact. This is what many of us did and it all works well.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
Hey and goodmorning...
i had some on user and some on my usb...both some of my purchased yamaha styles and also some registrations.
I did not matter for T5

In fact, it did matter for the T5. It's just that your registrations knew where the user files were.

So all you have to do is put the files on the Genos in the same place: "some on user and some on my usb". Once they're in the same place they were on the T5, your registrations will find them.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
The yamaha original bought styles does not sound the same....the drums makes the wrong sound and for example can i hear the hihat VERY loud or a percussion sound instead of a hihat...

Hi --

This is probably due to different note to sound mappings between older drum kits and the new Revo drum kits. For background information about the hi-hat sounds in particular, please see:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

I also recommend comparing the drum kit lists in the Data List PDF to see the differences. For example, compare a new Revo kit against the old basic Standard Kit.

For the time being, it's best to play the original styles with the original drum kits. Then, convert the older original styles to the new Revo kits. Given the differences in the note-to-sound mapping, there could be incompatibilities going old-to-new as well as new-to-old.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
Ok...wow..so you really mean that the type of USB matters?
And where?
That is something new

Hello Danne --

To put this in personal computer terms, a registration stores the actual absolute path name to a file, e.g., "I:/Church/DrawbarPlay.T125.STY". In order to reuse a registration on Genos, the files must be in the same place as they were before. That is, each path name in the registration must match the location of the corresponding file exactly. The same drive name, the same (sub)directories, and so forth.

Otherwise, one must change the registrations to find the files (style files, audio files, song files, etc.) in their new locations.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: digriz67

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »
Hello Danne --

To put this in personal computer terms, a registration stores the actual absolute path name to a file, e.g., "I:/Church/DrawbarPlay.T125.STY". In order to reuse a registration on Genos, the files must be in the same place as they were before. That is, each path name in the registration must match the location of the corresponding file exactly. The same drive name, the same (sub)directories, and so forth.

Otherwise, one must change the registrations to find the files (style files, audio files, song files, etc.) in their new locations.

Hope this helps -- pj

Not only that but I've noticed that if you had made ANY changes to the original style channels (turned some off for example),  those changes are lost when you move that modified style to a different location. All the channel info is returned to default.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Not only that but I've noticed that if you had made ANY changes to the original style channels (turned some off for example),  those changes are lost when you move that modified style to a different location. All the channel info is returned to default.

Yes, any changes you make to the style parts or OTS must be saved in the registration (again)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline StuartR

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
Yes, any changes you make to the style parts or OTS must be saved in the registration (again)

Joe H

Seems to me that the whole idea behind creating a copy of a preset style so that you can make changes to it are thwarted if you move that modified style. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
Seems to me that the whole idea behind creating a copy of a preset style so that you can make changes to it are thwarted if you move that modified style. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

It’s a user decision. You can easily save the modified style replacing the copy (much like you would in updating a Word document or Excel file). Doing it this way ensures your registrations can still find the Style.

But you can also create a new version, the same way you can with ant other program which handles files.

It’s up to you. I simply replace the old file. But that’s the way I want to operate.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

Yes. Bad programming ;)

"......."

:D Believe me, in place of "....." there was a bad comment addressed to what is happening with the most expensive arranger in the world.
But I had to shut up :))))

I have a bit more time in front :)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
It’s a user decision. You can easily save the modified style replacing the copy (much like you would in updating a Word document or Excel file). Doing it this way ensures your registrations can still find the Style.

But you can also create a new version, the same way you can with ant other program which handles files.

It’s up to you. I simply replace the old file. But that’s the way I want to operate.

Fred
I DO replace the style by making a copy of it and making changes to my copy. The issue is that if I choose to move my copy and then relink it to my registration, it still loses all changes I made to the channel settings.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:09:13 PM by StuartR »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
That's not my issue. I DO replace the style by making a copy of it and making changes to my copy. The issue is that if I choose to move my copy and then relink it to my registration, it still loses all charges I made to the channel settings.

So that's why it is the best arranger ;)  ;D ;D

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
So that's why it is the best arranger ;)  ;D ;D

Don't get me wrong, I have both the Tyros 5 and Genos and love them both. I'm just reporting what I consider to be an anomaly and trying to get other opinions

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
When you make these alterations to your style are you then going to the style creator and re-saving the style as a user style. You will then find they will stay as you want them.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
When you make these alterations to your style are you then going to the style creator and re-saving the style as a user style. You will then find they will stay as you want them.

Now there's a thought. Since I was making the channel changes outside of the style creator I was just saving the channel changes in the associated registration. I'll try resaving the style itself.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 11:00:42 PM »
Hi,
I think we all need to wait until Yamaha updates Genos. It's only been out for a couple of months, it's just not possible to find and correct all the problems before going on sale. In a couple of updates time it will be a different machine. Everything  these days needs an update, TVs, phones, Windows, iPads, give it three months, six months, twelve months then look back at problems today and the chances are they will all be gone?
P.S.  Not saying there might be new worries we haven't dreamed of yet, but that's life.
Oldden

Offline StuartR

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 12:35:25 AM »
Now there's a thought. Since I was making the channel changes outside of the style creator I was just saving the channel changes in the associated registration. I'll try resaving the style itself.

Didn't help. Channel changes (on/off) seem to be saved in registrations.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 03:27:32 AM »
Didn't help. Channel changes (on/off) seem to be saved in registrations.

The settings saved in a registration over-ride the style settings.  This includes all Mixer settings and style Part On/Off as well as OTS and Multi Pads selection.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline StuartR

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 04:00:43 AM »
The settings saved in a registration over-ride the style settings.  This includes all Mixer settings and style Part On/Off as well as OTS and Multi Pads selection.

Joe H

Yes but they seem to get returned to the original defaults if the style is moved and then relinked to the registration. That's what I'm seeing.

DonM

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 05:42:02 AM »
I wish Yamaha would incorporate the system Korg uses.  One can edit the original factory style and save it TO the style.  Then you have your choice of which version you want to use, simply by toggling a button.  Or if you choose, you can completely replace the Factory style with your own version, or a totally different style.  Or you can place your own styles in blank factory locations.
Also I have deleted a ton of styles I will never use just to make things simpler.  Any deleted styles can be restored if ever needed.
Most of the time I find it easier to save the edited styles in Songbook though. 
Yamaha, in the Genos, DID incorporate several of the Korg features I like, including the Joystick, a touch screen, a version of Songbook, and a few more programmable sliders.  Enough to pique my interest but not enough to change yet.  Let's see what the rumored updates do!!   Maybe we'll even get a better Vocal Harmonizer! 

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Yes but they seem to get returned to the original defaults if the style is moved and then relinked to the registration. That's what I'm seeing.

I would suggest you don't move them then. Anytime you make a change... including moving the files, renaming the files , renaming the folders the files are in... you will have recreate the registrations.  As pj said, the registration saves the direct file-path which includes all the above. In otherwords the registrations do NOT save any actual files, only their names and locations.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:13:02 PM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
I wish Yamaha would incorporate the system Korg uses.  One can edit the original factory style and save it TO the style.  Then you have your choice of which version you want to use, simply by toggling a button.  Or if you choose, you can completely replace the Factory style with your own version, or a totally different style.  Or you can place your own styles in blank factory locations...

Personally I don't use ANY of the preset styles. I edit every style I play and save an edited copy to the USB drive... so that's where I look for my styles... on the USB drive. It's not a problem.

Joe  H

DonM

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
Personally I don't use ANY of the preset styles. I edit every style I play and save an edited copy to the USB drive... so that's where I look for my styles... on the USB drive. It's not a problem.

Joe  H
Good point!
Yes, the accessibility of the USB drives on Yamaha is a strong feature.  It's a little harder to do with Korg, and wasn't even possible until recent models.  Previously everything had to be loaded before you could even audition it!

Offline StuartR

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
I would suggest you don't move them then. Anytime you make a change... including moving the files, renaming the files , renaming the folders the files are in... you will have recreate the registrations.  As pj said, the registration saves the direct file-path which includes all the above. In otherwords the registrations do NOT save any actual files, only their names and locations.

Joe H
That doesn't explain why the channel settings are returned to the original style defaults but other parameters, such as tempo remain changed. I understand the relinking issue but don't understand the channel on/off reset. No one has been able to explain that to me yet. I still have hope!

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 09:53:52 PM »
That doesn't explain why the channel settings are returned to the original style defaults but other parameters, such as tempo remain changed. I understand the relinking issue but don't understand the channel on/off reset. No one has been able to explain that to me yet. I still have hope!
To move a style (with channels on/off modified directly or via registrations) you save it to a new location. The problem seems to arise because Style Creator is not able to recognise the "channel edits" set from the Channel Off screen so it saves the style without the changes. That is why when you re-link it the original changes do not appear. It looks as if Style Creator is not smart enough to cope with that type of external, (as opposed to within Style Creator) change. You can edit styles via registrations any volume changes, system effects, voices etc. and subsequently save accurately as a User style, but not channel on offs.
I seem to recall channel changes weren't saved on Tyros, although I could be mistaken in the mists of time......

John
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:09:45 AM by jwyvern »

Offline panos

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
I think that if you make a change to a style outside the style creator that doesn't mean it is a new style.
It is the old style and because you saved it in registration,some changes to it may remain.
Seems that if you move the file, the registration cannot find the style and  those changes you made to it, so is playing the old original style.
But the registration recalls all the other things you wanted that does n't  have to do with the style itself e.g. tempo,sustain,touch etc.

If you want to make any change to a style such as some parts of a style to be always off,
you must delete them using the style creator and save it as a new style.     

Offline valimaties

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »
I think Yamaha have a list of parameters/settings that resets to its default state on changes. They combine/merge settings of a style with settings of a registration. But when a change is made, they have a default preset which will load (for registration).

Look here and try it if you want to a situation:
Style's Drum setup: you have 2 kits on 2 different mains, presume Standard Kit on Main A and Acoustic Kit on Main B. You cannot have more than one Kit on two or more different style parts for drum setup to work properly, but in this example will load 2 different drums kits on 2 different style parts. All settings of Drum Setup will be stored in SInt part of style, so there will be loaded only on style's selection. We will change some parameters on Main A drum's channel and we'll save the style. Now, if you change between mains you will lose temporary the settings you've made to Main A drum's channel, you will hear the default drum sounds. But if you press and load again the style with Main A selected, you will hear the modified drum. Suppose you save that style to a registration, and you made some settings in Mixer, to EQs, Filters, etc... (I make this settings only in Style Creator, but now is only an example). If you load the registration you will have all your saved settings, made in style and in registration, loaded. If you change between mains you will lose Drum Setup settings, and there are not reloaded if you load again the registration, you have to reload the Style. So I don't understand why they don't load even the style again on registration select?!

It's a big hole to me :D

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:48 AM »
valimaties,

I think the solution is to create 2 versions of the style with different custom drum settings for each... and use registrations to switch between the 2 styles.

What do you think?

Joe H

Offline valimaties

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:08 AM »
valimaties,

I think the solution is to create 2 versions of the style with different custom drum settings for each... and use registrations to switch between the 2 styles.

What do you think?

Joe H

Yes Joe, I think is the most resonable solution in this moment. I don't make and I did not made in the past the same style with two or more sounds... If I used for example a drum kit when I start wrote the style, it was the only one I used in entire style, in all parts.
But here I gived an example of what should happening if for some reason it happening a situation like in my example.
To me was happened, because I start editing a main part of a style, and I have changed the drum for main A, but in other parts there was another drum kit. Now I have to edit style outside Style Creator ( on PC) because if I change style Part in style creator I loose settings from the main A. ;) Nice, didn't?! :)

Vali Maties - Genos